‹ Prequel: Silver Spirits
Sequel: Blurred Horizons

Dark Tides

Chapter Twelve

"I really am sorry that so many of my peers are dreadful," Emily told Percy.

"It's not your fault. You're nothing like Gregory Harrington." He paused, seeming to debate whether or not to say whatever he was about to say. "He must have really upset you, for you to come charging out here in the middle of the night."

Emily sighed. "I shouldn't put much stock in anything Gregory has to say. He's a complete moron. But it's still infuriating. I just don't know why Gregory's decided to chase after me instead of someone like Georgina Hale, who's truly beautiful. I suppose he just wants to prove what an impressive, kindhearted man he is. The only man willing to tame the ever improper Emily Weldon and remind her of her place."

Emily realized a trace of her earlier anger was seeping into her voice and she took a breath before shooting Percy an apologetic half smile. "I'm sorry. There I go again, babbling on about nonsense. And he of course felt the need to brag about his 'friendly advice' to you, saying awful things that are completely untrue, and I just lost my temper. If it makes you feel any better, I electrocuted him."

Percy had been frowning deeply while she'd been talking but at that he started laughing.

"You electrocuted him?"

"Shot him under the table and he fell right into his lunch." Emily laughed too. "Next time I should just smash one of those ugly vases his mother loves so much over his head. Thank goodness there are men like you in the world and they're not all like Gregory. The human race would probably cease to exist."

Percy seemed embarrassed but he smiled. They walked the rest of the way in silence, Emily still feeling troubled but considerably more lighthearted than she had felt earlier. They reached her garden and Percy went to help her climb up to her balcony.

"I'm sorry again, for just barging in on you," Emily said, leaning over the railing. "You must be so tired of me by now but I wanted to thank you."

"For what?"

Emily shrugged. "For being my friend, I guess. I don't really know what I'd do without you. Tell your mother thank you, too. Good night, Percy."

"Good night, Emily."

Emily entered her room, draping herself across the bed. More than likely, Gregory was going to try and talk to her again the following day. At least she could rest assured that her father would never try to force her into accepting a marriage proposal from anyone. She fell asleep still holding the charm Mrs. Everett had given her. The next morning she woke to a knock on her door.

"Come in," she said groggily. She heard her father chuckle and realized she was festooned in kittens. One was sleeping on the pillow above her head, and the rest were scattered across her stomach and feet.

"Have you named them all yet?" Bartimus came and sat beside her.

"Those two black ones are Holmes and Watson, because Holmes is always trying to nose her way into things. She's the most curious of the bunch and Watson is always tailing after her. The little calico there is Artemis, and the other two are Dartanian and Homer."

"Mythology and literature." Bartimus smiled and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. "You are a remarkably clever girl, my buttercup. So I know you know better than to take to heart anything the Harringtons have to say."

Emily grimaced. "Is he here?"

"No, but his father just left. Came in here bellowing and huffing about how you so ungraciously left yesterday when his son was so clearly ill. I informed him that you're not a doctor."

Emily smirked. "I'm sure he loved that. Did he turn that becoming shade of eggplant?"

"He did indeed. Now, tell me what's going on, love."

"Gregory has decided that he wants to court me and turn me into suitable marriage material."

Bartimus's hazel eyes narrowed. "I would never marry you off to that cad. You deserve a man, not a whining boy. You can do as many times better than that horse's arse as there are stars in the sky."

Emily giggled. "I love you, daddy."

"I love you too, darling girl. Now get up and go see your brother. Teddy has a new contraption he's working on that he's dying to show you. I'll keep Gregory Harrington off your trail if he comes snooping about."

Emily kissed her father's cheek and went to change into a new dress. She hurried to Teddy's workshop, eager to see what he'd made now. He looked up when she walked in and smiled.

"I have a gift for you, Emily. I wanted your approval before I made one for Amelia and Priscilla."

He handed her a small metal thing that looked vaguely like a closed rose bud. Curious, she wound it up. Music began playing softly as the bud opened, unfurling like an actual rose.

"Oh, it's beautiful!" Emily exclaimed. "They'll love them, Teddy. You've outdone yourself."

She spent the next few hours helping him make two more of the lovely little music boxes, not even realizing how late it had gotten. It seemed she was never home at a reasonable hour anymore. Once Teddy had them almost complete, Emily hugged him goodbye and set off for home. She was almost home when she felt she was being followed. She quickened her steps, glancing around uneasily. Footsteps sounded behind her and before she could turn, someone had yanked her arms roughly behind her back. She was getting really tired of men doing that.

"Out for an evening stroll, Emily?"

She tensed at the familiar voice. "Gregory. What are you doing? Let me go this instant."

"No, I'm afraid I'm not going to do that. I tried to be nice to you. And you just had to be difficult. You see, Miss Weldon, I always get the things that I want. One way or another. Currently what I want is you." He pulled her against him, running his fingers through her hair. Emily tried to jerk her head away and he tightened his grip, yanking her head back.

"You see?" he said. "You refuse to do things the easy way. That's what makes you so exciting."

Emily slammed her head back, hitting him in the nose. He cursed and she winced, but his grip loosened slightly. She wriggled away from him, stomping hard on his foot with her heel. He caught her arm as she started to dart away, spinning her around and slapping her hard across the face.

"You see what you're going to make me do, if you keep this up?"

"Let me go!" Emily shouted, bringing up her free hand and taking her nails down his face. He hissed and jerked back, his hand releasing her as he reached up to wipe the blood off his cheek. Emily bolted, running the rest of the way home and didn't stop until she was in her garden. She tried to climb back up to her balcony but her hands were trembling too much. It would be her word against Gregory's, and no one was ever going to believe her over him. But he ultimately wasn't very threatening, and this had surely been a scare tactic to try and bully her into agreeing to marry him. He probably wouldn't try it again. She stood there for another minute with her racing thoughts until her heartbeat slowed. Then she sank onto the garden bench and burst into tears.