‹ Prequel: Silver Spirits
Sequel: Blurred Horizons

Dark Tides

Chapter Fifteen

Percy had been sleeping soundly, taking the opportunity of not having to work in the morning to actually get sleep for the first time in a while. He had shown up the morning after only to be sent home again, because a certain turn of events within the family had led them to dismiss the entire household for an evening, frightened that someone might see their son in an ungraceful state. Shame, really. Percy would have loved to see Gregory get what he deserved. He'd just have to assume it was just as beautiful a sight as he hoped.

He didn't get to sleep too long, finding Caesar pawing at his nose. He started to open his eyes when the kitten suddenly darted away, and cold water was dumped over Percy's head. He sat up suddenly, startled, and his head spun due to the sudden movement and the icy water he was now drenched in. He looked up to see his mother standing over him, glaring at him and holding an empty bucket in her hand. She seemed tempted to hit Percy with the wooden bucket too, but decided against it, dropping it and walking away from it.

Percy took a moment to pull himself back together, pushing his wet hair back and standing, still stunned from how he'd been woken up that morning. How had his mother even managed to go all the way to the well and bring back such a heavy bucket? She wouldn't have strength like that unless she was really angry.

"What did I do?" Percy grumbled as he rubbed his eyes and went into the kitchen, dripping water with every step.

"You know exactly what you did," Malina snapped at him, sitting down before her legs gave out beneath her. "Percival Benedict, I thought you'd outgrown such childish behavior. I thought you'd matured. But itching powder?"

"How did you find out?" Percy frowned.

"You can't walk ten feet outside without hearing that boy's name, and what you and Luke did to him," she said angrily. "You two idiots have your names written all over this scene."

"I had to do it," Percy argued. "And if I were given an opportunity to go back in time, I'd do it again, and I'd be sure to make it more painful."

"Percy."

"He attacked Emily in the middle of the night!" Percy retorted. "Who knows what else he would've done to her? He needed to know that his actions don't come without consequence."

"Percival."

"I'm not going to sit back and watch him take advantage of someone like that!" Percy yelled. "I can't just sit there and watch her life roll down a rocky hill until she's left heartbroken in the middle of nowhere, practically on her deathbed and relying on a crutch to help her stand!"

Malina seemed to be taken aback by his last comment, placing a hand lightly over her chest and staring at her son with wide eyes. It took a moment, but Percy suddenly realized he was standing over his mother, and what he'd yelled at her. He weakly kneeled down next to her chair, apologetically taking his mother's hands.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell," he mumbled.

"You're right, Percy," Malina said quietly. "Don't let it happen again. No one deserves to be put through that."

They paused for a few moments, until she gave Percy's hand a light squeeze and leaned over to kiss his forehead.

"You've always been such a good boy, Percy," she told him. "Always thinking of everyone else before yourself. Do be careful, though. Sometimes, you truly do have to put yourself first. Alright?"

"Alright."

Percy spent a good majority at home to take care of Malina, making sure she stayed in bed. Ever since he'd been working, he'd been spending little to no time with her. Later in the evening, Percy was surprised to find Emily at his door again, practically glowing. She didn't hesitate go off about Gregory and what a sight he'd been as soon as she came inside and said hello. Percy listened with a cheeky grin on on his face while Malina listened from her spot in the bed, which Percy refused to let her out of. When Emily saw her, her bright demeanor changed slightly. She seemed to realize all too suddenly how badly out of shape Malina was, since the first time Emily had come by, she'd been up walking and talking in order to hide how I'll she was. That evening, she didn't even have the strength to pretend. Emily didn't stay sad for long, however. After all, pitying someone wasn't going to make them feel better in any way. Percy was glad she knew that herself, instead of him having to explain it to her like everyone else. She sat down at Malina's bedside, which Malina certainly didn't mind. She loved Emily and her courageous spirit.

"It's good that you won't let anyone dictate your life," Malina said softly to her. "I admire that. And not only that, but you know how to stand on your own two feet. That's very, very good."

"I admire you, too," Emily said happily.

Percy went by her bed and swiped a pillow up off the floor on his way, putting it behind his mother so she could sit up and at least feel a little bit human.

"Don't let him into my house," she said suddenly.

"What?" Percy frowned.

Just seconds later, Luke burst through the front door, hanging on the door for support as he struggled to catch his breath. He looked like he'd just sprinted four miles.

"Ugh, too late," Malina grumbled. "I have to cleanse the house again."

Emily watched with concern as Luke finally managed to get enough air in his lungs again to speak.

"Go home, Emily, I need to talk to Percy," he said.

"Whatever you need to say, you can say in front of her," Percy said, shaking his head. "It's not like she won't find out later anyways."

"I need you to come with me," he said, a tone of urgency in his voice that Percy had never heard before. That's what made him take Luke seriously.

"I can stay here while you go," Emily reassured him, reaching over to touch his arm.

Percy nodded slowly, standing up from his mother's bedside to follow Luke out, leaving Emily there to make sure his mother was alright while he was gone. He hated to put her in such a position, but she'd offered, and Luke was rarely seen in any state other than his usual calm and cool self. This had to have been an emergency.

"I was at the tavern again," he started to explain, "As usual. They offered me work there since I never leave. Anyways, I was wandering around and picking up empty mugs, and then I heard it. I heard it before I saw it. And when I saw it, I ran to get you first."

Percy frowned and followed him to the tavern, though they didn't enter, they just snuck by the window, peering inside quietly. It took a moment, but the people sitting around a table and laughing boisterously with their drinks in their hands were hard to miss. And sitting at the center of the table was one face that made the hair on the back of Percy's neck stand up. He didn't linger for long, instinctively backing away and running back home, with Luke right behind him.

Emily jumped in surprise as they burst in again, with Percy looking just as stressed as Luke did. He bit his lip and looked at Emily, debating what to do with her. He couldn't leave her like that, but he had to leave. As soon as possible.

"Emily, Luke is going to take you home, alright?" Percy said slowly as he started to rummage through drawers and pull out clothes. "I'll explain everything soon enough."

"What?!" Emily gasped, jumping up from her seat. "Where are you taking all of that? Are you going somewhere?"

"Emily, please, I'll explain everything. Just go home with Luke, alright? And don't come around these parts again," he told her.

She didn't seem to take kindly to her banishment from The Smokes at all.

"Tell me what's going on, right now," she demanded.

"Luke, take her home," Percy said, looking over at Luke.

Emily looked worried, but she complied, heading out with Luke. Malina watched as her son nervously ran around and packed their things, keeping everything minimal.

"Percy, what is the meaning of this?" she asked.

"It's fine, we'll be fine," he muttered, though it seemed as if he was reassuring himself more than her. "We're just going away for a little while. Just until you feel better. Just a little while."