‹ Prequel: Silver Spirits
Sequel: Blurred Horizons

Dark Tides

Chapter Sixteen

"Luke, what on earth is going on? I've never seen Percy act like that before. Is he in danger? Is his mother in danger?"

"I really can't talk about it, Emily. Percy wants me to get you home." Luke ushered her through the streets, eyes darting about nervously. "Percy's just got to leave for a bit."

"Leave?" Emily dug her heels into the ground to resist Luke's insistent tugging on her elbow. She felt like she'd just been kicked in the chest. "He's going to leave, and he didn't even bother to say goodbye?"

"He probably figured you wouldn't leave if he did," Luke pointed out, which was probably true. Still Emily felt an almost panicked sort of dread at this news. She tried to imagine life without Percy in it, and while she had spent her first seventeen years happily Percy-free, the idea of never seeing him again made her heart twist almost painfully.

"Why is he leaving?" she asked. "What's wrong? What did you see?"

"Emily, I really can't tell-"

"Please, Luke?" Emily touched his arm and pouted. "I'm just really worried and I want to know what's happening." She widened her eyes and stared up at him. Luke seemed to grow a little flustered.

"Percy's father is here," he finally said. Emily gasped. She remembered Percy's father well enough, the brute had nearly dislocated her shoulder back on the island. And he had nearly killed Percy, until Emily distracted him by burying a knife in his shoulder.

"Will he come after Percy and Malina?" Emily whispered, that knot of fear in her stomach growing.

"I don't know. But Percy's not going to give him the chance."

"Where is he? Is he close, and that's why Percy's so anxious?"

"He's at the tavern a few blocks over. The Hanged Man. That's where he always goes when he's in London."

"Does he often stay there late?"

"Well he's practically a drunk so yes." Luke stopped and gave her a sideways look. "Why do you want to know?"

"I just wanted to know if they're in danger," Emily said innocently, batting her eyelashes a little for good measure. "Thank you for bringing me home, Luke."

Emily kissed his cheek briefly and then climbed back onto her balcony. She waited until Luke was gone before racing to her closet and tearing through it. She found a simpler, more comfortable dress and changed into it, and then rummaged in her jewelry box until she found the little switchblade Scarlett had given to her before she and Ben left. Not knowing what else to do, she tucked it down the front of her dress. She wrinkled her nose, unsure how Scarlett did such a thing all the time. It was quite uncomfortable. She wished she had made more of her electro-pins so she could bring the little electrocution device with her, but she certainly hadn't the time now.

Then she inspected the remaining contents of the box, picking out all the least sentimental items and throwing them into a small pouch. She scaled down to the garden in record time. If Nathaniel left London, Percy and his mother would be safe. Percy had gone out of his way to help her after Gregory assaulted her; she could try her best to return the favor. Without stopping to second guess herself, Emily moved quick and graceful as a shadow back to The Smokes. She gave Percy's house a wide berth; if he saw her he would definitely try to stop her. People were always trying to stop her doing things.

There weren't many people out, and those who were paid her no mind as she strode determinedly up the streets until she found The Hanged Man. Just outside the door she finally paused to chew nervously at her bottom lip. But she took a breath and stifled her fear, squaring her shoulders. She pushed open the door and stepped inside the smoky tavern. It didn't take her long to spot Nathaniel Everett. The man fairly towered over everyone else inside, even sitting down. He looked like an older Percy, except his eyes and mouth looked cruel.

Emily stalked across the tavern with her spine straight and her head high. At least all those stupid lessons in posture were good for something. She stopped directly beside his table and planted a hand on her hip.

"Nathaniel Everett," she said crisply. He paused in the midst of downing some ale and stared at her over the rim of his mug. He set it down slowly.

"Yes, love?" he asked with a smirk.

Emily looked him straight in the eye. "I want you to leave London immediately and never step foot in it again."

Some of the other men at his table chuckled slightly and others looked from her to Nathaniel and back again as though not sure what to make of it all. Nathaniel leaned back in his chair and stared at her, a strange mixture of amusement and annoyance in his eyes.

"And why would you want me to do that?" he asked finally.

"That is none of your concern," Emily informed him. "All you need to know is that you should get on your ship and sail away without ever a backward glance."

"I don't take kindly to being given orders, pet. Let alone from uppity little girls such as yourself. I'll go anywhere I damn well please."

Emily tossed the pouch of jewelry onto the table. It landed on the wood with an impressive thud. Nathaniel arched an eyebrow.

"Well look at this mates, the pretty lass wants to pay me to leave London."

His men laughed again, and Nathaniel leaned forward to study Emily again. "What's this all about, girl? You've no reason to have a quarrel with me. If you know who I am you know it's best not to cross me."

"I know who you are," Emily said hotly. "You're a primitive, simple minded son of a leper's donkey and you have no place in London."

Other patrons of the tavern were by now looking their way, curious and stunned. Nathaniel slowly stood up, and even drawn up to her full height, Emily found herself having to crane her neck back almost all the way to look up at him.

"I know you," Nathaniel said. Then he started laughing. It was not a pleasant sound. "I know you," he repeated. "Yes, of course. You're the little angel faced filly that was tailing around with Rose's crew a few months back. Percy's little bed warmer. And now he's sending you out to fight his battles." His lip curled. "He really is pathetic."

"He did not send me, and I am not a bed warmer," Emily snapped. "And I'll have you know he's a hundred times the man you are."

"Is he now? I might have to prove you wrong on that count, lass."

Emily wasn't even aware she was moving but suddenly his mug was in her hand and she hurled it at his head. Ale dripped down his face and splashed across his shirt as the mug clattered to the floor. There was a collective hush in the tavern as everyone waited to see what Nathaniel would do.

"You have a nasty habit of throwing things at me, love." His tone was eerily calm. Then he reached out and seized her wrist, nearly crushing it in his giant fist. "I think we need to break you of that habit."

"Mr. Everett!"

Emily looked up and rolled her eyes. Luke was pushing his way through the crowd, looking harried.

"Mr. Everett thank the heavens you found her! The girl isn't entirely right in the head, you see, and she'd wandered off again-"

"Go away, Luke," Emily hissed.

"Luke?" Nathaniel repeated. "Ain't you that little weasel looking blighter that used to follow Percy around?"

"Well I do take some offense to the description, but yes I suppose I-" Luke was cut off as Nathaniel punched him square in the face with his free hand. Luke fell against the bar, face bloody. He raised a hand and opened his mouth as if to say something, and then toppled over onto the floor. Emily winced.

"Leave him alone," she demanded. Nathaniel tightened his grip on her wrist and twisted. A small whimper of pain escaped her lips.

"You cause me quite a bit of trouble, lass." Nathaniel studied her face and then glanced at the bag of jewels on the table. "But you'll find I'm not an unreasonable man. If it's so important to you, we'll leave tomorrow as soon as we've finished gathering supplies. And men, be sure to pick up enough food to feed one more person."

He shoved Emily at two of his shipmates.

"Bloody pirates!" Emily said in exasperation. She kicked one of her captors in the shin, and when he grimaced and loosened his grip she rammed her elbow into his throat, aiming for the larynx. He choked and flailed back. Another man was quick to take his place.

"Looks like we wrangled ourselves a wild filly, boys." Nathaniel seemed amused. He stepped forward and gripped her jaw in his hands. "Welcome to the crew, love. Put her in the brig. A night in there ought to cool her down."

Emily continued to squirm and flail as she was dragged from the tavern and toward the docks. They stuffed a rag in her mouth to keep her from screaming and tied her wrists behind her back.

"Easy does it there, girly. Wouldn't want us to mess up that pretty face now, would ye?" Her captors laughed as they shoved her roughly into a cell. She landed hard on her side and immediately struggled to sit up, shouting muffled insults at them around the gag. They left, slamming the door behind them and casting her into almost total darkness. The only light came from a small window high up on the wall outside her cell, where the full moon shone through. Emily slumped against the bars. Captured by pirates for a second time.

Only this time, she feared she would not be returning safely to London at the end of the voyage.