‹ Prequel: Silver Spirits
Sequel: Blurred Horizons

Dark Tides

Chapter Seventeen

"You did WHAT?"

Luke drew back like he was going to be punched in the nose again as Percy angrily loomed over him. He really did look ten times bigger when he was angry. Luke had shrunk, holding the old cloth Percy had given him to stop his bleeding, though he wasn't sure if his bleeding was going to stop any time soon.

"She didn't say she was going to go after you," Luke argued. "She just wanted to know what happened? Could you really blame her? You did act like the world was ending, after all."

"The world is ending!" Percy snapped. "My world. He's coming after me and my mother, there is no doubt in my mind about that. I don't know how he found out I was here, but he did, and now he's out to get me because of what happened last time."

"What happened last time?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," Percy sighed, shaking his head and closing his eyes for a moment. "I have to go get her. I'll be lucky if they haven't already killed her."

Luke watched as Percy kicked the packed sack of their things on the floor in his frustration, digging his hands into his hair and crouching down, squeezing his eyes shut. He had to go back for her, but at the same time, it would be risky for his mother, above all. She wasn't feeling well at all, and it seemed the tension was making it worse. He eventually opened his eyes and sat down by her, checking her over. She gave him a weak smile and tried to sit up, but fell back again. Percy put another pillow behind her back, feeling that she was putting all her weight on him now.

"Should I fetch the doctor?"

"You should go get Emily," Malina said sternly, though her voice wasn't as strong as it used to be. "What will the doctor do? He will come here, tell me that he doesn't know what is wrong, and take a painful sum of money from you in exchange for medicines and services that obviously do not work."

Percy hated to admit it, but she was right. He gave his mother a quick kiss on the cheek and stood up, grabbing a dagger and a pistol out of the drawer. He looked over at Luke, who seemed about ready to go with Percy, and gave him a half smile.

"Are you going to be alright?" he asked. "Or are you going to disappear for another five years, like last time?"

"I'll be back soon," he said. "Shouldn't take long. Stay here until I get back, alright?"

He ignored the annoyed sound his mother made as he handed a second pistol to Luke, who tucked it into his waistband.

"Fine," Malina grumbled. "If he's going to stay, he's going to sit here and let me clear him of the stench clinging to his spirit."

Luke reluctantly did as Malina asked, as Percy left the house quietly to head over to the docks. He made sure to stay silent and out of sight as he spotted the familiar ship there. The Serpent was a regal looking ship, and didn't look too off next to the others. It had been Abram's ship before Nathaniel killed him and took over, and there was no doubt that Abram liked to look bigger and more important than everyone else. Like the reptile it was named after, The Serpent was quiet and nearly impossible to see until it was close enough to kill you.

Percy knew it wasn't exactly his father's style, but it hadn't changed much, other than a few obvious upgrades to bring them into the new age. He looked over as barrels and boxes were being loaded onto the ship, surely full of supplies. If he tried getting in through there, he'd surely be seen. It wasn't hard to recognize him. He did look so much like the captain, after all. He sneaked around the back and found that no one was patrolling there, which had to be his best bet. He lowered himself into the water quietly, holding his knife between his teeth as he swam to the anchor and grabbed hold, climbing up the chain.

It had been a very, very long time since he'd done anything in such a manner, but he could only hope he wasn't out of practice as he squeezed through the hole and into the ship. He looked around carefully, listening for voices and footsteps. It sounded as if everyone was up on the deck above him. More likely than not, Emily was in the brig, and there had to be one or two people down guarding her.

He quietly slipped down the stairs towards the brig, looking around. As he expected, Emily was tied up down there, and someone was fast asleep in a chair outside the cell. Emily saw Percy right away and lit up, and Percy pressed a finger to his lips to tell her she needed to be dead silent. The first thing he did was reach through the bar and remove the dirty gag.

"You will not believe what these men are like," she whispered frantically. "Not reasonable in the least."

"They're ruthless pirates," Percy whispered back as he started to pick the lock. "What did you expect?"

"I don't know, last time-"

"None of us know what really happened last time," Percy said, cutting her off. "This situation is different. One, no prisoners are falling in love with any captains. Unless you've taken a liking to the old and sadistic type. And two, I'm getting you out of here before you even get a chance to try it out, because they will kill you before you say a word. If anyone's killing you, it'll be me when you get out of here. Really, Emily, you are in so much trouble."

Emily rolled her eyes at first, but suddenly froze and looked up over Percy's shoulder with wide eyes. He became still too as he heard a click, turning slowly to find the barrel of a gun pointed in his face. Nathaniel was looking down at him and shaking his head in genuine disappointment, looking between him and Emily.

"Did you really think I wouldn't catch you?" he sighed. "I was hoping you'd gotten a little more clever."

"Just let us go, we'll stay out of your hair forever, alright?" Percy said. "No one gets hurt."

"I don't think so," Nathaniel smirked. Weapons where I can see them, son."

Percy reluctantly disarmed himself and pushed the pistol and knife to the side, patting himself down and slowly standing up with his hands in the air to show he had nothing. Nathaniel spun him around and tied his hands behind his back, without Percy struggling much. There was no point. It wasn't a fight he'd win. Next thing he knew, he was tied back to back with Emily, and the cell door clanged shut.

"Your brother really was much, much smarter," Nathaniel said, examining Percy's weapons. "You know, it's funny... I didn't even know you were here until the little darling came in demanding that I leave. This is just the icing on the cake. Do tell, because I am curious, what on earth did you think you were going to contribute to this world, anyways?"

Percy kept his mouth shut, but Nathaniel continued, glancing at the slight part in Percy's shirt that revealed his mother's protective charm around his neck underneath.

"Oh, I see," Nathaniel nodded. "Malina. How is she, anyways? Still begging the dead to give her life? You'd think she'd understand she's gone mad by now."

"She's not insane!" Emily argued, even though Percy nudged her to signal her to let him do the talking.

"Adorable," Nathaniel chuckled before turning around and leaving, taking the useless sleeping guard with him.

Percy and Emily were alone, but they were tied together in a place that couldn't have meant anything good for them. Percy said nothing, but felt Emily shift in her seat so she could reach for his hand, lacing fingers with him.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I thought I could help you. I didn't want you to go away, and I thought I could make things right."

"It's the thought that counts," Percy mumbled. "I'm sorry, too. I should've explained."

They went silent for a moment, before Emily spoke again.

"Why do you have his last name?" she asked curiously.

"I don't know my mother's maiden name," Percy shrugged. "She refuses to tell, going only by his name."

"Why?"

"Because she still loves him."

Emily went into silent shock, and if Percy could see her face, he knew her eyes would be wide and her jaw gaping.

"But your mother is so sweet and kind," she said. "How could she love such a man? I don't understand!"

"She used to tell me the story of how they met," Percy told her. "They were both young. She was a gypsy doing palm readings for a pitiful fee. He asked for one, and she told him he was going to meet a bitter end. He didn't take it too seriously, and he told her his dying wish was for her to spend his last few days with him. Long story short, she fell in love, left her family, married him, had two children, and realized only after all of this that her husband was a horrible person. But she still loves him."

Emily went silent, but her grip on Percy's hand had gotten a bit tighter. He thought for a moment, glancing around their creaky wooden cell.

"She did everything she could to protect me from him," he said quietly. "Colt did, too. When he was still young and hopeful, at least. As you know, our father would send us out to beg for money on the street. Neither of us could read or write, but we knew how to swipe coin pouches without anyone noticing, so we could avoid getting hit at home. Well, one day, Colt and I were heading home when someone stole my own stolen money from me. I was about four years old at the time, and Colt was nine or ten. He and I were convinced that Nathaniel would actually kill me if I came home empty handed, so he gave me half the money he collected. Nathaniel saw right through us, and we both got punished. Me for coming home empty handed, and Colt for being a 'weakling'. Our mother tried keeping us away from him, and he threatened her, saying he'd hurt me twice as bad if she dared intervene. I don't remember much after that. Just that my mother had to hold Colt and turn his head away so he couldn't watch, and that I blacked out after about ten minutes. When I woke up he was gone, and my mother was cradling both my brother and I and singing to us. She never lost hope, or gave up on trying to help. It rarely worked, but she was always so brave."

"Percy?"

"Yes?"

"I could teach you to read. And to write," Emily said softly, squeezing his hand lightly. "I wish I could offer more, but at least this way, you can look back and pretend you spent your childhood going to school, like other boys."

The thought made Percy smile, though his stomach had done a back flip. Even in dark times, he could count on Emily to be a light.