‹ Prequel: Silver Spirits
Sequel: Blurred Horizons

Dark Tides

Chapter Eighteen

"You seem awfully confident that we'll get out of here," Percy remarked. "It feels like they're raising the anchor as we speak."

"Of course we're getting out of here. If you think I have any intention of hanging around here with your psychotic father and his band of ruffians then you're positively mad. Besides, your mother will be worried sick at home waiting for you."

"And how, exactly, do you intend to get us off the ship?"

"I'm still working on that but I'll come up with something. Ben isn't the only smart one in the family, I'll have you know," Emily said. "How did you find me, anyway?"

"Luke came and told me what happened. You flinging a mug at my father's head and everything. Honestly, Em, are you trying to get him angry enough to kill you?"

"Well he was exceedingly rude," Emily protested. Percy let out an incredulous chuckle.

"Again I remind you, they're pirates, Emily."

"Yes well so were you, when I met you."

"And my manners weren't exactly impeccable were they?"

"I was a prisoner in your brig and you saved my life during a storm," Emily said. "A bit roughly perhaps, but you still did it. Your father nor any member of his crew would ever do something like that. You're nothing at all like him."

"That's sweet of you to say, even if it isn't true."

"It is true!" Emily said sternly. "And if my hands weren't tied I'd smack you upside your head for thinking otherwise."

"My mother would be proud."

Emily laughed softly. Then she sat up straighter as she felt something jab her chest. Of course! She had forgotten all about the switchblade she'd tucked into her dress. She sat chewing her lip for a moment, trying to figure out how she was going to free the damn thing with her hands out of commission.

"Percy, tilt over so we're laying on our sides."

"What? Why?"

"Would you just do it?"

He obliged reluctantly and Emily started wriggling like a worm on the end of a fishing hook.

"What in the hell are you doing back there?" Percy asked, craning his neck to try and see what she was up to.

"Trying to get us out of here."

"By wearing a hole through the floor?"

"Shut up, Percival." Emily finally succeeded in dislodging the knife from under her corset. She instructed Percy to sit back up and then they had to spend a few minutes maneuvering until Emily got hold of the knife.

"You had a switchblade in your dress?" Percy sounded disbelieving.

"Yes and let me tell you it's most unpleasant." Emily awkwardly got the blade open with her fingertips. Percy jerked and cursed softly.

"Careful, you just poked me!" he hissed.

"Well when I'm done saving us I'll be sure to kiss it and make it better. Now shush and let me concentrate."

"You know, we wouldn't be in this pickle if you hadn't felt the need to go charging off and threaten my father."

"Well you didn't need to go charging off to execute a gallant rescue," Emily retorted.

"What was I supposed to do, leave you here with him? He'll kill you. You shouldn't have been so reckless-ow!"

"That time I poked you on purpose," Emily informed him. "I'm aware that he has no qualms about killing me, Percy. But you went after Gregory for my sake, so I wasn't going to sit idly by while you and Malina were in possible danger. You happen to be my best friend and friends look out for each other. Even if that means being reckless. Gregory could easily have had you killed for what you did. But that didn't stop you, did it?"

Emily finished sawing into the ropes, rolling her cramped shoulders in relief. Percy turned to face her.

"My father is far worse than Gregory," he said.

"Don't be so sure. They're equally terrible, in their own ways." Then her grim expression softened and she flung her arms around his neck, startling him. "It is very sweet that you came for me though," she said. Percy was slightly red in the face when she pulled back.

"So now what?" he asked. Emily plucked one of the pins out of her hair.

"For starters, you can pick the lock and get us out of this infernal cell."

"And then what?" Percy took the pin and set to work on the lock.

"Well, I'll need to disable the ship. It's actually fortunate for us that they added some more modern equipment."

"You can disable the entire ship?"

"Of course I can," Emily said. "I'll disable the cannons, the navigation system, the thrusters. Everything. Then we can pinch a lifeboat and get back to London."

Percy finished picking the lock and quietly pushed open the door. They crept to the stairs, and found the door leading out of the brig was unlocked. Emily rolled her eyes.

"Really? They didn't think it the slightest bit possible that we'd be able to get out of that cell? That's downright insulting."

"Well it makes getting out of here easier, so maybe don't complain about it," Percy muttered as they cracked the door and peered out. Emily glanced down at his hand and saw the small pricks she had made with the switchblade. She grabbed his hand and lightly kissed his palm. Percy's face turned bright red.

"What was that for?"

"I told you I'd make it better when we got loose." Emily gave him a radiant smile and brushed past him when they saw that the only people close by were sleeping soundly on the deck.

"Emily be careful," Percy whispered. She was glad she's worn a dark colored dress as she scurried through the shadows on her tiptoes. She was able to move much faster than Percy, who had to creep slowly along behind her to avoid making noise. They made their way to the small control room where the navigation and cloaking devices on the ship were controlled from.

"You're like a mouse," Percy grumbled as they slipped inside.

"I took a lot of dance lessons when I was younger," Emily replied, amused. "Also my feet are probably five times smaller than yours."

She started flipping open panels and unplugging wires, purposely tangling some of them into a hopeless mess and taking her switchblade to cut others. Some she unplugged from their designated place and plugged them into other slots. Percy stood back and watched her with a mixture of wariness and amusement as she wreaked havoc with the ship's controls. She punched in a random set of coordinates and then pried some of the buttons off so it would be difficult to change course later. The door opened and they both froze, gawking at the man who'd just entered. He seemed equally as stunned to see them.

"Cap-!" The man's shout was cut off as Percy slapped a hand over his mouth and yanked him into the room. The man tried to fight him and strange, quiet sort of scuffle broke out.

"Kind of trying to work over here, can you wrap this up?" Emily hissed. Percy glared at her as eh punched the man solidly in the head. He slumped to the floor, unconscious.

"Thank you," Emily said cheerfully. "When I say go for it we need to make a run for the lifeboat. Quickly."

"Why?"

Emily pushed a button and the thrusters fired up, preparing to send the ship fairly skipping across the water.

"Go!" Emily bolted out the door and Percy followed, scooping her off her feet when they reached the railing. He fairly tossed her into the boat, where she landed with a startled squeak. He hopped in after her and started lowering the boat. A stream of aether flew through the air and narrowly missed Percy's hand. Instead it severed the rope and they plunged downward, water splashing Emily in the face as the boat hit the ocean. She winced and stifled a cry of pain as she was knocked back and slammed her head on the wood. Percy hit the lever that started the mini thrusters on the lifeboat as Nathaniel appeared at the railing, his face livid.

The lifeboat jerked and came to life, beginning to glide over the water. Nathaniel fired at them again, and Percy pulled Emily down and shielded her. The aether missed them, but struck the thruster controller. The boat stuttered and went dead. The thrusters on the ship kicked into full power and it zipped away from them, spraying water in its wake. Nathaniel disappeared as he fell over from the force and Emily and Percy were left bobbing in the dark water.