‹ Prequel: Silver Spirits
Sequel: Blurred Horizons

Dark Tides

Chapter Twenty

She was having a nightmare. She was standing on a rickety, cobweb-covered ship deck in the middle of a foggy night. And she was completely alone. When she called out a timid hello her voice was lost in the fog, as though swallowed by the gloom. The boat lurched dangerously, pitching her forward and sending her slamming into the railing. She raised her head and saw a cage lowering over the ship.

With a cry she tried to scramble over the side and into the water but a strong arm seized her waist in an iron grip and dragged her back. Faceless figures looked over her, their arms pinning her down as the cage drew lower and lower, about to trap her inside. She knew she would never get out if it completed its descent. She would be trapped here forever. She kicked and scratched, desperately trying to free herself from her captors but they just watched her with their sightless eyes, immune to her screams. The cage lowered over the ship with an ominous sound, and as she was cast into darkness she realized it wasn't just a cage at all. She had been sealed alive into a casket.

Emily woke with a gasp, her heart pounding inside her chest like a frightened rabbit. She had a moment of sheer terror as she realized she wasn't in her own room and there was an arm around her. She thought she mist still be trapped in the nightmare until she looked over and saw Percy, still sleeping soundly. Everything came back in a rush and she let out a breath she hadn't even realized she was holding. Once she overcame her initial panic, she grew embarrassed. She had pointedly laid down on the opposite side of the narrow bed from Percy, curled into a ball so that she didn't take up much space.

Now she found herself with her legs tangled with his and her head resting against his chest. She was perplexed about how she had ended up in such a state, but supposed she probably flailed wildly during her dream. It was most improper, lying all snuggled up against him like this. She knew she should quietly slip back to her side of the bed and leave him be. But then, clearly she hadn't disturbed him and as her nightmare flashed across her mind again she realized that she felt safer being close to Percy.

She sat warring with her indecision for a few moments, studying his face as he slept. She gently brushed some of his hair off his forehead and smiled. Poor Percy probably didn't even realize how handsome he was. Emily laid her head back down on his chest without even being fully aware that she'd made the decision to do so. They had narrowly escaped death. Maybe the night called for a little impropriety. She fell back to sleep to the sound of his heartbeat.

When she awoke again, sunlight was streaming through the window and Percy was finally stirring. Emily kept her eyes closed and kept perfectly still, feeling him pause in surprise to find her curled against his side. He didn't move again, though she knew he was awake. He remained laying exactly where he was and she thought he must be trying not to disturb her. The thought brought a small smile to her lips. But she could only go on pretending so long. She finally allowed her eyes to flutter open and she raised her head.

"Oh you're awake," Percy said, his cheeks flushing slightly.

"Sorry," Emily said, her own face turning pink. She reluctantly scooted away and let him climb out of bed. She sat perched at the edge trying to finger comb her tousled hair.

"Did you take my shirt off?" Percy asked as he reached for the garment in question. Emily's face grew hotter.

"Yes," she admitted. "I thought you'd be more comfortable without it, but you fell asleep as soon as you laid down. I'm sorry I couldn't be more useful."

"Emily, you're the one who brought a knife and you're the one who fairly destroyed the ship so we could get away. I think I could at least do the rowing."

"And you did a marvelous job of it too," Emily said, glad when he cracked a smile. "They'll fix the ship eventually," she added. "What will we do if they come back? Are you still going to leave?" Her voice hitched slightly on the last question and Percy shot her a brief sideways glance before running a hand through his hair.

"I don't think leaving will do any good," he said. "My mother wouldn't be up to travel, I don't think. And now he'll be so furious with me he'll track me anywhere. And you too, for that matter. He's really going to have a grudge against you Emily. I'll be better off staying here and trying to figure out some way to fend him off when he comes back, and make sure he doesn't get to you."

"I beg your pardon, Percival." Emily stood up and planted her hands on her hips. "I am not completely helpless, I'll have you know. Maybe I will be the one making sure nothing happens to you. My brothers taught me fencing when I got old enough and I caught on way faster than they did, and my father secretly taught me how to fire his pistol. Right handed and left handed, might I add. So don't go around assuming that I'm always going to need you to come charging in on your white horse because-"

Percy silenced her by placing a finger gently against her lips. His lips quirked up in a half smile. "All right, I get it," he said quietly. "You are a force to be reckoned with."

Emily's breath caught at how close together they were standing, their eyes locked. His a brown so dark they were almost black and hers so pale they were almost gold. Emily decided if she was going to start a steak of being bold and reckless, she may as well keep it going. She boosted herself up onto her tip toes and pressed her lips against Percy's, this time not by accident. He stiffened in surprise and Emily was sure he was going to push her away but instead his arms slipped around her waist. She leaned against him and wasn't sure how long they stood there like that, but then a banging on the door shattered their small bubble of peace. They sprang apart, Percy looking as dazed as Emily felt.

"It's check out time," the innkeeper called gruffly. Still feeling slightly breathless she followed Percy out of the room.

"I promise I'll come back and pay you for the room," Emily told the innkeeper. He nodded shortly.

"Normally I wouldn't allow it, but you two seem like you've been through something rough."

"Thank you," Emily said sincerely. Percy gave the man a nod and the two of them stepped out of the inn and started making their way back into the heart of London. They walked along the shore in silence for a while, Emily focusing on keeping up with Percy's long strides.

"You run your hands through your hair when you're nervous," Emily mused finally.

"My mother keeps telling me to cut it."

"I like it the way it is." She lowered her eyes shyly before Percy could get a good look at her face. He reached over and took her hand. Emily smiled, lacing her fingers through his. The sun was mostly set by the time they found themselves wandering into The Smokes. Percy's steps quickened as they neared his house and Emily followed. She forgot her weariness when they found Luke on the front porch, his face grave.

"Luke, what's wrong?" Percy asked.

"She's...she's not doing well, Percy."

Percy shoved past him into the house and Emily darted in after him. Her hands flew up to cover her mouth as she saw Malina Everett. She had grown pale and somehow more frail and fragile since they'd been gone. Her breathing was shallow as Percy knelt beside her but her blue eyes were still sharp when they opened and looked at her son. Percy took her hand, his face anguished. Emily's heart sank but on the heels of the sharp sadness she felt was a crushing wave of guilt that made it hard to breathe. If Percy hadn't needed to go save her he would have had more time to spend with his ailing mother.

Emily felt like she didn't belong there; like she was an intruder on this moment of sorrow. But she couldn't seem to make her feet work and so she just shrunk back into the shadowy corner of the room while silent tears streamed down her face.