‹ Prequel: Silver Spirits
Sequel: Blurred Horizons

Dark Tides

Chapter Twenty-Five

Percy had heard what had happened with the Harrington family's failed proposal when he went there that morning to tell Mr. Daly he'd no longer be working for such a family. Much to his surprise, Mr. Daly dropped his shovel and quit too, patting Percy on the back.

"It's about damn time, boy," he grunted. "I've been waiting for you to quit on me so I had an excuse. Horrid family, this one. And as of late, an embarrassment to their servants, even."

Percy laughed with him and followed him out, leaving the Harrington residence for the last time. Of course, that also meant he didn't have an excuse to visit Emily every single night, like he used to. He'd have to be a little more careful about it, at least. He hadn't gotten a chance to visit her in the next couple of days after she recovered. He hadn't been able to see anyone, in fact. It wasn't until life slowed down that his mother's passing caught up with him, and he found that every minute spent in his childhood home was painful.

There wasn't much in there. Few things actually belonged exclusively to him, and even fewer were worth keeping. While cleaning the house out, he found a little box under the bed, covered in dust. When he brushed it off an opened it, he realized it was a box full of little crafts he'd made for his mother, when he was a little boy. All this time, she'd kept it all. There were even a few things that Colt made, though he was never the mama's boy Percy was. He pursed his lips and closed the box, setting it down with the rest of the trash. He had no use for leaves and twigs from over a decade ago, but he was glad he found them. The fact that Malina kept them meant so much.

By the end of the night, Percy was left with the house torn apart and a big box full of his mother's things that he wasn't sure what to do with. There were a bunch of books on tea and palm readings, seances, and the afterlife, along with all of Malina's half-finished charms, incenses, and even a crystal ball Percy wasn't aware she owned. He couldn't bear to throw it out, but he couldn't bear to be around it, either. But there was one person who seemed interested in it all.

It took a little bit of extra effort to climb up the wall with that heavy box, but Percy did it while Emily eagerly watched and waited on her balcony. She was looking much less pale now, and her eyes once again lit up with that light that made Percy feel like his life was worth living.

"Delivery for Miss Weldon," he grunted as he handed the box off to Emily and climbed over the railing.

"What is it?" Emily asked, eagerly sitting down on the floor of her bedroom and opening up the box, but her smile wavered when she saw what was inside. "Percy, this is-"

"I know," Percy interrupted, holding up a hand. "She would have wanted you to have it. I know how interested you are in learning what she did. I'd rather have her things in the hands of someone I trust than to sell them to a complete stranger."

Emily started to say something, but simply put the lid back on the box and stood up, somewhat throwing herself at Percy. He was just getting used to hugging her back without feeling like he was making her uncomfortable, but he was glad to finally be able to hold her like this. He glanced at her closed door once before bending town to kiss her deeply, which she responded to by eagerly pulling him down by the collar of his shirt. He pulled away and chuckled lightly, taking Emily's hand so it wasn't clenched around the fabric of his shirt.

"It's late. Shouldn't you be in bed?" he asked.

"How old do you think I am?" she said, rolling her eyes. "Besides, I'd be in bed sooner if you showed up sooner. But since I was up and waiting for you, it's entirely your fault. Now sit down, I have so much to tell you."

Percy did as she asked, listening intently as she buzzed happily about her new job inventing. Percy was happy for her, of course. No one deserved it more than she did.

"Come work with me," Emily suggested, perking up suddenly.

"I can't put a sandwich together," Percy smirked. "Let alone a machine."

"You can lift heavy boxes for me."

"Is that all I am to you?"

"That's right. Hired muscle."

"We'll discuss it later," Percy laughed, standing up. "For now, I should be off. There's a lot I need to still do."

"Come back tomorrow night, then?" Emily pouted.

"Of course."

Percy kissed her forehead once more before leaving, to spend his last night in his childhood home. For the first in a very, very long time, he slept like a baby. He slept so well that when he woke up, the sun was actually high in the sky, rather than those few patches that came with the early morning. Luke came by a little while later to help throw out all the trash in Percy's home, as well as sell what needed to be sold. They didn't finish until the late afternoon, when they finally got a chance to catch their breath and rest.

"So that's it, then," Luke sighed. "You're abandoning the house for good?"

"No good has ever come from that house," Percy muttered. "I'd rather be out on the street than in there."

"I wouldn't go that far."

Luke and Percy both looked up when they heard a new voice, and Percy smiled when he saw Scarlett standing by them. She'd certainly been taking full advantage of being near her father again. Suggesting from her brand new blue brocade dress and the delicate flower hair pins in her golden curls, her father was ready for her return this time. Luke's jaw dropped when he saw Scarlett there, eyes drifting to the low cut of the dress that exposed just enough chest to make Luke go weak at the knees. The smile that she gave him, however, must have turned his blood to ice, because he immediately looked away.

"Another friend of yours?" Luke mumbled. "First Emily, and now this. Really, where are these friends of yours when you and I are together?"

"Never say never, my little rat-faced friend," Scarlett grinned, pinching his cheek before linking arms with Percy. "Come along, Percival. I've come all this way so you can walk me home again. We have a thing or two to discuss."

Percy nodded to Luke before leading Scarlett away, back towards the massive Triggs residence. At first, they just made small talk, discussing what they'd been doing since they'd last seen each other. It hurt a little bit. Scarlett was like a sister to him, after all. He could tell there were other things on her mind, but he never pushed her. He knew better than to do that.

"Well, I've been meaning to ask how you are," she sighed. "I heard about your mother."

"Oh. Well, I'm doing... better," Percy shrugged. "It's been difficult."

"You know, we do miss you aboard the Spirit," she said slowly. "Ben is wonderful, don't get me wrong. That man is the air in my lungs. I'd die without him. Yet at the same time, it's different. You're much different than he is, and there is just an empty void where you used to be."

"Your point?"

"If you want," she suggested, "You can come back with me."

Percy went silent. Go back? Things would be so much simpler if he did that. He just wasn't sure it was what he needed to do at that time. In fact, it was likely the opposite. He couldn't just take the easy way out, not when his life was just becoming steady again. The answer was obvious. His thoughts were distracted by a sudden thud and a yelp come from near them, and Percy looked up to find that they were right by the Weldon house. Emily came running out, giggling and grabbing Scarlett's hand.

"Ben just tried to tell his mother that he's leaving again," she laughed. "You have to come see what Mary is doing to him."

Scarlett smiled and nodded, but Percy lingered back. He still didn't feel comfortable going inside the house, with how ragged and filthy he looked. Scarlett understood right away.

"Thank you for walking me home, but I think I can take it from here," she said softly, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. "Just let me know what you decide in the end."

"Decide what?" Emily asked.

"Whether he's coming back to the Spirit with us," Scarlett told her.

A strange look crossed Emily's face as she looked at Percy, appearing upset. He wasn't sure what she could have been upset about. No one had said anything wrong. Scarlett didn't seem to notice. Or she did, and she purposefully changed the subject.

"Emily, where is your brother?" she asked.

"Ben?" Emily muttered, snapping out of her daze. "He's right inside."

"No, not Ben," Scarlett laughed, shaking her head. "I'm talking about the irrelevant one. The ones that are actually related to you. The better looking one, who is working with my father."

"Teddy?"

"Yes, that's right," Scarlett nodded. "Now that he and my father are partners, I have a request or two to make of him before I go."

"I'll take you to him," Emily said a little too quickly. "Bye, Percy."

Percy just weakly waved, frowning as she left. He wasn't sure what he'd said wrong, but whatever it was, Emily certainly wasn't happy with him.