‹ Prequel: Silver Spirits
Sequel: Blurred Horizons

Dark Tides

Chapter Twenty-Seven

It was strange for Percy to hear that someone loved him, especially when it felt like everyone who did love him was dead or leaving. But Emily was still there. And she wasn't going anywhere. Therefore, neither was Percy. He pulled her in and kissed her again, tightly holding her close to him while she eagerly pulled herself up to meet him halfway. She seemed to get a little too excited, yelping softly when she slipped on her own skirt. Percy caught her before she fell, laughing as he set her back on her feet.

"Emily, you are a handful," he told her, pulling her in again. "You're far smarter than I'll ever be, and I certainly can't keep up with you, but I love you, too. Very much."

Emily grinned as she hugged Percy again, burying her face into his chest. She started crying again, but this time it was because she was so overwhelmed with relief and happiness that she didn't know what else to do. Percy wiped away her tears, staying with her for a few more hours and talking about her new job and house. They lost track of the time, forgetting how late it was until a sudden piercing yell echoed through the night. Emily had been leaning back against Percy's chest while he played with the ends of her hair and listened to her talk when they heard the yell and Emily shot up to her feet and ran to the balcony.

"What?" Percy frowned.

"I know that girlish scream," Emily said, a tone of amusement in her voice. "That was Gregory Harrington."

"I think it's all in your head, and you need to go to sleep," Percy smirked, standing up and putting his hands on her shoulders to turn her around. "Just look, the sky is getting lighter. Go to sleep."

It took a bit of convincing, but Percy managed to finally get Emily in bed before he snuck out again. He saw her again the next afternoon, when they went to see Scarlett and Ben off. Scarlett, however, had gone missing. Ben's knee was bouncing impatiently as he sat on the dock waiting, while the rest of the crew was ready to go.

"You have no idea where she is?" Emily asked him.

"She fell asleep before I did," he grumbled. "When I woke, she was gone. I swear, that woman- Oh, there she is."

They all turned to see Scarlett strolling along, fixing her hair and clothing with a casual smile playing on her lips. Ben stood up and threw his hands up, waiting for an explanation, but he didn't receive one until he asked.

"Don't run off like that," he huffed. "Where have you been?"

"Taking care of business," she said, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Don't look so worried, Ben. I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."

"Where were you?" Ben asked once more.

"Just making sure a certain someone knows the power of a woman. Let's just say he won't be having children," she said, turning and giving Emily a wink and a half smile.

It took a moment, but the three of them suddenly understood. Emily grinned in shock and amusement while Ben and Percy cringed hard, resisting the urge to cross their legs. This time, goodbyes weren't too difficult. The Silver Spirit disappeared as quickly as it had appeared, leaving Percy and Emily behind once more.

The next few months were spent moving Emily's things into her new house and helping her get settled in her lab. As promised, Percy worked closely with her. Close in the sense that he found it difficult to pry Emily off of him most of the time so he could lift the heavy boxes for her and get the things on the high shelves that she couldn't reach. At the end of the day, he found it much easier to visit her when she had a house of her own, where he wouldn't need to sneak past her father to get to her. They were rarely apart. While living with Luke wasn't too bad, there were several nights that he had to spend with Emily because of all the "friends" Luke liked to bring home. Not that Percy or Emily minded. She loved the company in that big house, and Percy loved any excuse to hold her close to him.

As difficult as times had been, it was alright in the end. Everyone was in their happy place. And neither Percy nor Emily had ever been happier than they were when they were finally together, with nothing standing in their way.
♠ ♠ ♠
So we've finished the second in our series, but WE'RE NOT DONE YET LOLOL. We're going back to Ben and Scarlett, in the next book in the silver spirits series, which can be found here. It's still blank, but we will have our first chapter up very soon! For those who've stuck with us since the start, thank you! We've been having so much fun writing these, and we're glad that others love our babies as much as we do. <3