Anthem

Chapter 11

"Just read straight from the teleprompter, Lauren."

A young woman stands in front of a green overlay, a microphone in her hand. Her blonde curls are shaped perfectly, her makeup impeccable. She nods and throws on a dazzling smile.The cameraman counts down with his fingers, signaling as the broadcast goes on air.

"Breaking news out of France tonight. I am here just miles away from the front line in Paris. Just hours ago, a series of events, that have not yet been disclosed by authorities, led to the raids of several illegal rebel garrisons. Many believe that this may be the final act needed to bring a close to thi was an ensure victory. As you can see behind me, all is calm for the time being."
she gestures towards the left where she already knows a compelling shot of the Eiffel Tower ascends above the buildings.
"This has been Lauren Getterman here with CT News 24. Back to you John"


After the initial shock of the gunshot, a few people start cheering. After time more join in until the street echos with the shouts of triumph.
We get in news that the attack went exactly as planned, the rebels were to be flushed inward towards us, expecting no one to be in the base at the time. Apparently all the other rebels in the area were simultaneously ambushed by surrounding forces.
Everyone returns for the night and needless to say, everyone is celebrating. The officers turn a blind eye, and someone manages to sneak in several bottles of cheap vodka along with extra food from the cafeteria. Everyone congregates in a spare room, and people spill out into the hallway. Someone taps on their plastic glass.
"A toast!" he shouts. I halfheartedly raise my glass since everyone else is.
"To the rebels! May the bastards never see us coming!" there's a roar of laughter and everyone finishes off their shot. Even after having a few, I'm feeling a little light headed and warm.
Several sips later i'm crowded around a table watching Murray try to out drink a tall muscular girl. Each of them have a shot glass in front of them. Someone off to the side is keeping count. The girl puts out her glass for another shot. Someone pours the vodka into it. Slowly but surely, she raises the glass to her lips, throws her head back, and drinks it in one shot. She wipes her mouth and lays it back on the table smugly. Cheers erupt from that side of the room.
Murray isn't looking as good. He's slumping in his chair and he shouts to people right next to him. He makes the mistake of standing up to get his shot and wipes out on the floor. He stumbles back up and waves off people. He sits back in his chair. Spilling half his shot, he raises it to his mouth. Everyone watches. The tension is almost palpable and!
He lowers the glass back down. A collective groan is cut short by the cheers of the other side of the room. I think I even see some money exchange hands. I cheer also even though I don't even know whose side I'm on. Just then Derrick comes in. Now is the time to tell him how I feel. With the excitement of the moment he couldn't possibly...
He couldn't possibly do what? Turn me down? Just what do I want to even happen with this?
It doesn't even matter! I tell myself. I can do whatever I want now and the consequences aren't going to make that big of an impact. I take one more sip of my drink and run after him.
I couldn't possibly be drunk, but I'm uncoordinated and slip in a sticky puddle of dried vodka. It takes me a few moments to register that I must be falling. Luckily, it doesn't seem like Derrick has had anything to drink yet because he manages to catch me before I face plant into the ground.
"Woah!" I shout as he picks me up. We're face to face now, our faces just an inch apart.
"Woah" I repeat quieter, correcting my shout.
"Um..." I start.
He leans in and kisses me.
It must last at least five seconds but by the time the feeling finally sinks in he has an arm around my waist and is guiding me down the hallway.

"Where are we going?" I ask, my stumble over the words a little bit, my speech slurred. Maybe I am drunk? Could I be from only a few drinks?
The bunk room is deserted. It's quiet and I can just barely hear the shouts and laughs from down the hall. Derrick leans down quickly, surprising me. He kisses me again though with more force this time. His hands linger over my hips. What little judgement I have left tells me to pull away. My arms hang limply at my sides. Before I can decide whether or not I want to just run away he moves his hands towards the small of my back. Where is he going with this? I pull my face away from his.
"Wait" I gasp for breath. His hands tighten their grip as I resist. He pulls back as well, looking annoyed.
"What the hell is your problem?" he scowls.

"I- I don't want to do this." I stutter. I sit down on my bunk. Partially to put distance between us, partially because I can barely stand up. We both breathe heavily. He stares at me, disbelief playing over his handsome features.
That easily I believe that he'll just leave me alone and go back to the party. I can just stay here and call it an early night and be ready for a patrol in the morning.
But that's not what happens.
He unexpectedly grabs my arm and pins me down to the small mattress.
"What are you doing! Stop!" My voice comes out higher than I want it to. I struggle to free myself fro his grasp but my efforts are futile. His weight alone pins me down. I manage to pull a hand away and punch him in the jaw, hard. With none of my weight in it, it doesn't affect him much.
He pulls off my coat, unbuttoning my shirt. I start to scream, hoping for someone anyone to hear. He shushes me.
"If someone comes in here and sees this do you know what position that'll put both of us in?" he whispers forcefully in my ear. A hysterical sob racks my body but I nod. No one can ever find out this happened. He plants rough kisses on my collar bone as he unbuttons the rest of my shirt.
I pull my arms away from him as he loosens his grip and I cover myself with my hands. He laughs quietly.
"There's nothing to worry about." He breathes.
"I won't hurt you." His shirt is off as well and he works off his belt. I'm too shocked and terrified to move or do anything except lie there as he puts a hand to my chin and jerks my face towards him. He leans in for another kiss.

"What the fuck?" A hollow voice says.

We both jump and Derrick hits his head on the bottom of the bunk above us. He curses under his breath. Everything rushes out of me and my hyperventilating turns to sobbing. I stare at the plain wood of the bunk above me, my face still held in place by Derricks strong hands.

"Get out of here. Can't you see I'm busy?" he complains.

"What the hell were you doing?" the same voice demands.

I'm too numb to care but I recognize it this time. It's Murray. What is he doing back here so early? Derrick slowly moves his hands off of me. I lie completely till. The shock keeping me in place.

"Listen man, you know how things are-" he says in an offhand tone. Shrugging off the situation like its no big deal.

"No you-" Murray hiccups.
I forgot how many shots he was doing. He continues,
"Know how things are!" A dangerous tone is creeping into his voice.
Derrick sigh and runs a hand through his hair. He looks almost embarrassed.

"You've gotta understand dude, this isn't that big of a thing. She came onto me, I can only do so much" he tries to explain. Murray put a hand to his face. He shakes his head.
"Just, listen. You're completely wasted, you don't know what you're doing. Just go back to the party and have a good time. Okay?" He gets off of the bed and grabs his belt, Sliding it back around his waist. He grabs his shirt and walks towards Murray. He throws a hand up in a joking surrender.
"I'll go with you, How's that?" he adds. Murray glances back at me. Then back at Derrick.
Suddenly he laughs loudly and claps him hard on the back. The euphoria from the alcohol has been restored. They both walk back down the hall, conversing loudly.