Status: Complete

Pain

Could today get any worse?

It's not that Johnny hated walking home from work, it's just that he hated walking home when it was fucking pouring outside. He didn't really have a choice though, all of his money went to bills and rent. His best friend and roommate helped as much as he could too, but with little hours, money was very hard to come by.
"Maybe i'll just join a mafia or something, make money that way" Johnny grumbled as he stomped inside the small apartment. The lights were off, Zack must still be out. Well at least he could relax before Zack got home and tried to bug him. Once he was in dry clothes with a giant plate of food Johnny relaxed. The tv held his interest for no longer than a minute, the news showing another missing person due to gang activity.
"Fucking idiots, you get yourselves killed all for some asshole that won't care about you" Granted he hadn't always been so bitter but it was too hard to think about those times, which is why he would drown them out with booze.
Zack came home a few hours later, his arms full of bags, must've been pay day for him.
"We actually have food for once?" Johnny asked washing his plate, Zack putting away the food quickly.
"Yeah, i guess some guy felt sorry for me and gave me like three hundred bucks" Zack set down a few bills on the small table. There were a few twenties still left.
"He just gave you the money?" He couldn't seem to believe Zack, it seemed too good to be true.
"I'm serious, i was looking around for something cheap to eat and i guess my uniform made him feel bad" Zack's uniform wasn't the nicest, it was dirty most of the time, covered in dirt and any other shit he'd gotten on it.
"He probably thought you were homeless, wanted to make sure a pour soul had a nice hot meal for once" Johnny laughed loud, almost dropping the plate as he bent over the sink.
"I'd take the money and eat for the month" Zack grumbled annoyed, they could put the money to good use if they'd use it wisely.
"Go put the money away, we can get another month out of that" Johnny said shifting things around in the cupboards.
"You should've seen the guy, he looked like those type that are real hoity toity" Zack said picking up the money, setting it into the mason jar they used to store spare money for emergencies. Even if it was empty most of the time.
"What do you mean? Like suit wearing asshole?" Johnny had never been a fan of people who flaunted there money, especially when it was the reason he was going to have food in his belly.
"Oh yeah, his girlfriend started to cuss him out when he handed me the money" Zack shook his head and grabbed a beer.
"Well then he should've just kept walking" Johnny's voice was hard, people always pitied him when he hated it most.
Zack glanced over at him and sighed, he didn't want to ask Johnny what his problem was, knowing that he'd snap.
"Hopefully i don't run into him tomorrow, Mark wants me working downtown" Johnny's boss was a real hard ass, had him running around until he was ready to pass out from exhaustion.
"Didn't seem like he comes out often, but then again when you have enough money to have people make your food daily why would you bother leaving" Zack drank and sighed, he'd always been envious of people with money, even if he'd never tell Johnny.
"Matt said he might come over tomorrow, as long as he can make it out of work on time" Matt was Johnny and Zack's best friend, they'd known each other for years, raising hell all the time.
They hadn't been able to see each other as much since they'd graduated high school four years prior, it was all about making money and paying bills on time.
"Sounds good" Johnny mumbled, playing with a loose thread hanging from his shirt.
"Johnny" Zack asked, slowly going over to him.
"Don't, just please don't" Johnny pulled away before Zack could grip his arm. The painful reminder of how horrible their lives were weighing down on him.
Zack dropped his arm, letting it rest by his side as he watched Johnny's reaction. He hated upsetting his friends, but if it got him food he wasn't going to dwell.
"You know, we haven't heard from Brian in a while" Zack said quietly, they had a falling out with there friend Brian. It was the hardest for Johnny though.
Brian had been Johnny's mentor, he helped him through his hardest times but one day he just took his things and left without another word. Zack, and Matt moved past, angry that there friend would leave. Johnny on the other hand held a grudge, he would never forgive him for leaving when he needed him most.
"Don't you ever fucking bring him up again, he left and hes not coming back" Johnny growled pushing himself away from the counter, stalking down to his room angrily.
Zack sighed, he had fucked up by even bringing up Brian again. They never talked about him and the times they did would always end in a fight. He couldn't help but wonder why Johnny took it so hard, sure they'd all been close but Johnny lashed out with drugs and drinking when Brian left. Matt was the one who had found him, passed out with an array of pills and beer bottles around him. He made Johnny promise that he wouldn't continue his drug use any longer, even if he relapsed three more times after that. He did get better though, he started working more often and put all his money to bills. Zack didn't realize at first that Johnny was trying to keep his mind occupied with work so he wouldn't have to think about the pain anymore.
"Hey, i have to talk to you" Zack jumped, spinning around quickly to face his best friend Matt. He'd always forgot that they'd swapped keys, just in case they needed to get in when the other wasn't home.
"What's up?" Zack asked looking at Matt, he seemed concerned.
"Brian's back" Zack's blood ran cold, Johnny couldn't find out about this, no.
"Shit, how'd you find out?" Matt sighed and took a deep breath steadying his shoulders.
"Well i was out getting something to eat and i just ran into him, he didnt recognize me at first but the moment he did he was all excited" Matt stopped, looking down at the floor. "He asked how Johnny's been since none of us have been in touch" He shook his head slowly, letting it all sink in too Zack.
"Please tell me you told him he's fine Matt" Zack's eyes were pleading, if Brian knew the truth he'd feel horrible.
"I told him we were all doing good, just busy working to pay the bills" He was honest at least, even if it made Zack nervous.
"He's been more miserable now, i brought home groceries and he snapped at me for taking money from a stranger" Zack said pushing the plastic bags they stored into another bag. Better to save than waste.
"A stranger? Was he wearing a black suit?" Matt asked, his voice full of question.
"Yeah...he was" Zack's eyes grew wide as he realized the stranger was no stranger at all, Brian hadn't realized it was him and that was probably a good thing.
"Shit, Zack he wants to get in touch again. If Johnny hears that we saw Brian we all know that he's going to either snap or break down" Zack shook his head quickly, there was no way they were going to allow Brian around Johnny, not with his vulnerability.
"I told him i'd have to see when i had a day off from work, so no date's been set" Matt said leaning his hands on the table.
"Well, if me and you have a day off when Johnny's working we'll meet up, i won't have him go through that deep of a withdrawal because Brian wants to say hi and leave" Zack took slow deep breaths to calm himself.
"Sounds like a plan, i'll call him when we can figure out our schedules, but other than that i'm going home and relaxing" Matt leaned up from his position and headed over to the door, leaving with a quick goodbye.
Zack shook his head and looked around, him and Johnny had worked so hard to have the things they did but it was never enough. They'd lose their electricity, which would cause the showers to be cold and torturous. They'd have to go days without eating just to pay the rent so they wouldn't be kicked out. Johnny did his best to pay the bills and keep Zack fed, he was more worried about his friends than he was himself, and that's why Zack was proud of him. He could hear Johnny moving around in his room. Most likely trying to get comfortable so he could get enough sleep before he'd leave for work. Zack needed to talk to him though, make sure that he'd be busy just in case Brian decided to pay a visit. He'd tried getting in touch with Brian a little over a year ago but it was over before he'd even tried. So he had given up and put his life into his work. Going down to Johnny's room, knocking quietly Zack waited. What if he was asleep and didn't want to talk at all?
"What do you want Zack?" He sounded tired and angry.
"I just wanted to let you know that i was going to bed" Zack said backing away from the door.
Johnny of course ignored him, leaving Zack slightly angry. Oh well, he'd deal with Brian til he left and not tell Johnny. Now the whole problem was finding a day to actually do that.
♠ ♠ ♠
here it is! the newest chapter story
i've actually written a few chapters but i'm trying to edit them so they're better
so i hope you guys enjoy this
and don't forget to let me know what you think of it!