‹ Prequel: Radiant Eclipse

Second Heartbeat

In With The Old, Out With The New

*three months later*

“Don’t worry Brian, I got this. Besides, I only have Junior and Laeticia with me. Christopher and Aurora are with Jess and Cor.”

Ash placated the guitarist, as she loaded the girl into a stroller, and boy into the sling around her body.

“Look, I have to get inside okay. I’ll have Anne call you when we get back on the road. Yes, I will give you her love. Byeeeee.”
Three months after admitting she had a problem and needed the help, Anne was finally getting out of rehab. Ash had made the six and a half hour drive up from Huntington Beach, alone, with hers and Anne’s youngest children. Brian had so badly wanted to be there, but Avenged Sevenfold had just started an eight week, European/Pacific Tour. Just as Ash walked into the rehab centre, she spotted Anne who waited anxiously in the lobby.

“Is it just you?”

“Yeah, we didn’t see the point in everyone coming up. And, the guys didn’t want it either.”

As Anne and Ash filled out the release paperwork, the girls were back in Huntington Beach, making plans for her welcome home party. Once they were done, and Anne’s treatment was officially completed, the girls stopped for a bite to eat, before getting back on the road.

“So, what have I missed?”

Anne asked, as soon as they were safely on the freeway.

“Well, for starters, Kara is gone.”

Ash replied, referring to the girl that had taken over bass duties after she had left the band. After she pulled safely into the carpool lane, Ash regaled Anne with the events that occurred a week and a half prior.

“Since when did Kara have an interview?”

Mateja asked, as she returned from checking on all the kids, who were down for naps in Vengeance Manor. Mateja, Corinne, and Ash had all gathered at the Manor, for both a children’s and adults playdate.

“I don’t think she had one. And if she did do one, it’s not one that we were aware of. Where did you see it?”

Jess asked, from her perch in front of the computer in Zack’s office.

“Someone just tweeted me a link, asking me for comments.”

Curious at what she had to say, Ash gathered with the girls as they crowded behind Jess to see what had been printed. To say that they were beyond themselves, was a major understatement. Kara, who at that point, wasn’t even an official member of the band, was saying things like she was a founding member. In the interview, completed with Bryan Stars, she stated that she had been made an official member, at that it wasn’t the only member change coming to the band.

She told Bryan, that the girls didn’t think that Anne’s treatment was going well, and that Radiant Eclipse’s other founding member would remain in the band much longer. Kara also stated that there had been a falling out with Ash, and that they were already in the process of writing the next album, without the terror twins. By the time they finished watching the video, the girls were beside themselves with rage. Before long, the video had gone viral, and the girls’ phones were ringing off the hooks.

“Someone please tell me that isn’t fucking true!!”

Brian said as soon as Jess had picked up the phone. Having just landed in Dublin, the guys had seen the video, and were immediately enraged.

“Of course it isn’t! Bri, this bitch did the interview without us knowing! We didn’t know about it until someone tweeted us the link!”

Corinne angrily retorted.

“What’s going to happen then?”

“First, we kick her the fuck out of the band. Second, we figure everything else the fuck out.”

After speaking for a few more minutes, the call was ended and the girls moved to the kitchen to start brainstorming. While Mateja left a message with Kara to come to Vengeace Manor, Jess and Corinne filled Ash in on everything else that had happened. The biggest thing, was that they had left both Warner Brothers Records, and Larry Jacobson’s management.

“Well, we’ve been talking with Mike Shinoda about going to Machine Shop. It’s still technically distributed through Warner, but it’s its own label. Mike’s also offered to be our manager. Obviously, he wouldn’t travel with us, unless LP wasn’t doing anything at the time, but that’s what a tour manager is for. Speaking of that, Nat informed us that she’s moving to Cali next month and she has officially offered us her services again.”

Jess stated, excitedly, as she passed everyone a beer.

“Lastly, I think I speak for all of us, Anne and the guys included, when I say, please, please, please come back to us. We need you!”

She continued, as she gave Ash her best puppy dog face. It wasn’t long before Mateja and Corinne joined in, and Ash was refusing to open her eyes.

“If I say I’ll consider it, will you girls stop looking at me like I know you are?”

“Consider, conschmider. You know you miss all of this.”

Mateja replied, as she rolled her eyes.

“I have written a few things …”

Ash admitted, before she ended up at the bottom of the pile. Calling out for sushi delivery, the girls called Mike, explaining the situation, and that they wanted to keep Ash’s return a secret from everyone. And everyone, also included their husbands. Just after they got off of the phone with Mike, Kara arrived at the Manor. Not wanting to give it away, Ash stayed in the room, where the kids slept, while the girls confronted Kara.

“I don’t understand why you girls are mad. Everything I said was true!”

“In your twisted, demented, world, it might be, but not in ours. For one, we think Anne’s rehab is going wonderfully! And when she gets out in a week and a half, she will most definitely, still be our drummer. We never had any kind of conversation about making you an official member, and we don’t even have a record label, let alone have done any kind of writing for a new album.”

“So, what exactly are you saying?”

“Not only do you need to get the hell out of my house, but you also need to get the hell out of this band.”

“But I have a contract!”

“We know. We will have the lawyers deal with that, accordingly. But for now, get the fuck out our faces, before we, literally, throw you out.”

As soon as they locked the door behind her, the girls had a impromptu dance party, while Jess paid for the food.

“So, you’re officially back?!”

Anne exclaimed.

“Yes. Also, you have a lot to catch up on. We’ve camped out at the Manor, and have been writing and jamming every second that the kids haven’t needed us.”

Halfway through the drive, the newly reunited terror twins stopped to gas up and get snacks; and to let Anne take over driving duties. It was nearly midnight when Anne finally parked the car in the Manor driveway. She barely had the car door open, before she was swarmed by her bandmates. Quietly, unloading the sleeping babies, the girls got them settled in the house, and had a small meal, before they turned in for the night.

Mike, along with Machine Shop’s lawyers, and the girls’ own, came over to the Manor the next day. After they got all the important papers signed, Mike joined them in the Manor studio, so the girls could show he and Anne some of the things that they had been working on. After jamming along to two of the songs, and with Mike adding some lyrics to another, both Anne and Mike declared the night a success, and Mike agreed to come back the next day.

“So, the band is back together eh?”

Anne said, as Jess poured them each a celebratory shot.

“Hell, to the fuck yes.”

Was Mateja’s response, as each girl clinked glasses, downed their shots, and then checked on their kids before heading back into the studio.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't own Mike Shinoda or Machine Shop. Sadly. Comments? :D