‹ Prequel: Radiant Eclipse

Second Heartbeat

Coming Home

“As much fun as this has been, I’m going to be so glad when this week is over. I just don’t want to have to lie to them anymore.”

Corinne mused, as they took a break from their rehearsal. It had been nearly two months since Anne had gotten out of rehab, and the girls had signed to Machine Shop. Like they had planned from the start, they had kept Ash’s return a secret from everyone, except for the Machine Shop reps, and their record’s producer, Linkin Park’s Mike Shinoda. It was now a week out from their return show; a charity event at the Molson Amphitheatre. The guys were due to arrive in Toronto, the day of the show, and would be driven straight to the venue.

“I feel you. Johnny still thinks that I’m back in the Beach.”

Ash replied, as she picked up her bass again.

“Let’s just get through the next few days, and not forget that we have to get back into the studio the day after the show.”

Jess reminded everyone, before she played a riff from their new song, Ghosts. They were all but finished their new album, titled Phoenix, with the exception of one song. They had written two versions of “Here’s To Us”, one which be just them singing, and one they had planned to also feature, their significant others. Once they had called it a night on rehearsals, they grabbed their kids and headed back to the house that they had rented for their stay.

--- a week later ---

Show day had arrived, and the girls were sequestered in a backstage area of the Amphitheatre, which had been roped off to everyone else. Only a handful of people putting on the show, and that worked at the venue, knew that Ash was there, and were all sworn to secrecy.

“When are the guys arriving?”

Ash asked, as she sat down to breastfeed her son.

“If all goes as planned, not until close to the time you girls get onstage. I’ve already fixed it with Dan. He knows to take his time; get lost if he has to.”

Natalie added, looking up briefly from her phone.

“Speaking of … what’s going on with you two?”

Jess asked, as she burped Liliana. All the girls looked up at their long time friend, who tried to ignore the questioning looks.

“I don’t know right now. We haven’t even seen each other yet, save for that one Skype call. We’ll have to wait and see what happens.”

Once the show started, a monitor was set up in their dressing room, so that Ash could watch the other bands without giving her presence away. The next few hours just flew by, and soon, Nat was in the room, telling the girls to get ready.

“The crowd is already going insane. You should have heard them when the new backdrop went up.”

The girls smiled, and continued with their new, pre-show stretching routine. Meanwhile, in the parking lot, the guys in Avenged Sevenfold were giving Dan the Body hell.

“Seriously though, what the fuck just happened? We’ve been here so many times before, and you just magically forgot the way and got us lost for three hours?!”

Brian glared at him, as backstage passes were distributed, and a production assistant led them inside.

“Shit happens, y’know?”

Was Dan’s, somewhat, cryptic reply.

“Bullshit, what do you know, that we obviously don’t? And don’t tell me nothing, because something’s going on, and I think you know what it is.”

Matt challenged him, as they grabbed drinks, on the way to sidestage.

“I would tell you, but then I would have to die. You’ll just have to wait and see.”

Just the day prior, the girls had told Dan that Ash was back, and that he wasn’t to tell the guys. He cursed them for saddling him with that knowledge, but agreed to keep his mouth shut. The guys were about to give him another chance to spill the beans, but were distracted by the girls’ new setup.

“Damn, this is nice.”

The backdrop was plain black, with a golden phoenix on it, and the video screens on either side of it. There was a long platform set up, upon which, there were spotlights and pyro. In front of that one, was a shorter step platform, which Anne’s drum riser rested. On top of that riser, was Anne’s new, custom, all matte black Pearl drum set, with gold hardware.

“Shit. When did Anne get that?”

Jimmy asked Brian, as he walked up to take a closer look at the set.

“Just recently, I believe. She was talking about getting it done, but I didn’t know when it was going to happen.”

Before they could move around further, to sneak looks at the guitars, they were shooed to the side, as the girls were about to take to the stage. In a curtained off area, the girls were anxiously pacing back and forth.

“Don’t even think about it.”

Ash warned Corinne, who was about to chew her nails down to a stub.

“You girls ready?”

Nat asked. They all nodded, and gathered in their pre-show huddle, as a whole, for the first time since Ash left. Just as they started to put their in-ears in, the lights went out and the crowd went crazy. Chants of “Eclipse, Eclipse!” echoed about, as the curtains started to open, and the opening strains of Iggy Azalea’s “Black Widow” started to play. One by one, Corinne, Mateja and Jess took to the stage, leaving Anne and Ash to wait. For that show only, Anne and Ash were to take to the stage to the strains of “Coming Home” by Diddy Dirty Money and Skylar Grey.

“Why are they dragging this out?”

Johnny asked, as “Coming Home” started to play.

“The song fits. Anne is coming home to the band, and the band is coming home to Toronto. Also, it’s because they can.”

Matt replied, as the slow opening of the song came to an end.

I'm coming home
I'm coming home
Tell the world I'm coming home
Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday
I know my kingdom awaits and they've forgiven my mistakes
I'm coming home, I'm coming home
Tell the world that I'm coming

As soon as she got her cue, Anne bumped fists with Ash and took to the stage to a deafening ovation.

[Diddy]
I'm back where I belong, yeah I never felt so strong (yeah)

Anne jumped up onto the platform beside her drum riser, and nearly broke down into tears.

(I'm back baby)
And much to everyone’s shock and surprise, the guys of Avenged Sevenfold included, Ash quickly followed Anne onstage, jumping straight onto the riser in front of her mic.

I feel like there's nothing that I can't try
And if you with me put your hands high (put your hands high)
If you ever lost a life before (high, hands),
This one's for you
(and if you with me put your hands high, hands, high)
And you, and you, and you, and you
(your dreams are filled, you're rapping with the best)
I'll be home soon


With Anne and Ash back where they belonged, “Coming Home” cut out, and the opening strains of “This Is What Rock And Roll Looks Like” kicked in; as did the girls' official comeback.
♠ ♠ ♠
We Came As Romans own "Ghosts" and Halestorm owns "Here's To Us". Iggy and Rita own "Black Widow" and Diddy and crew own "Coming Home". Also, Porcelain Black and Wheezy own "This Is What Rock And Roll Looks Like". And all band members own themselves. Except Ash, I own her. Comments? Plz? =D