‹ Prequel: Radiant Eclipse

Second Heartbeat

Phoenix Rising

In the months since their comeback show, the ladies of Radiant Eclipse were constantly on the move. While Anne and Ash recorded in Montréal with Obey The Brave, Corinne, Jess and Mateja, finish their parts in Toronto with Three Days Grace. Once everything had been sent off for mixing and mastering, the girls had a week to themselves before everything got going.

They played the benefit show, a handful of festivals in Europe and North America. They even found time for a short Australian jaunt with The Amity Affliction and I Killed The Prom Queen, before returning Stateside for the Vans Warped Tour. Once that was over, they had another week to recoup, before they played their biggest solo show to date.

“Holy shit, you girls should see the line! It goes all the way back to Cherry Street!”

Corinne practically screamed, as she walked back to their dressing room. At the current moment, the ladies were sat in their dressing room, backstage at the Rebel night club and venue in Toronto. Their record release show, was originally planned for the Virgin Mobile Mod Club, but demand for tickets caused it to be moved twice. First to the Phoenix Concert Theatre, then finally to Rebel.

And as soon as Corinne mentioned Cherry Street, Mateja and Ash started to sing “Ocean Avenue” by Yellowcard. That was stopped short by Mateja and Anne getting called away to do an interview, before their scheduled VIP meet and greet. With Jess and Corinne now off doing phone interviews, that left Ash with a few quiet moments with her kids. But even that was cut short, by the appearance of Johnny, who came with Mike Shinoda in tow.

“Bassplayer magazine asked to speak with the two of you. Plus, Phoenix and Rob are here to pick up the kids.”

Mike informed Ash, as he helped himself to a bottle of water. While the girls and their families celebrated the release of their album, Phoenix and Rob from Linkin Park, plus their wives and a few trusted friends, would babysit the RE/A7X brood. Johnny helped Ash get the kids dressed and ready to go, and Mike followed them out when they were done. The hallway was suddenly filled with parents and children, as the rest of Avenged appeared with their children all dressed and ready to go. Once all children were loaded into the vans that had been rented for the occasion, they were off and everyone went back inside. Ash and Johnny sat down with Bassplayer mag, and when it was nearing the end of the interview, talk turned to their personal relationship.

“If I may, I’m sure by now, that everyone knows that the members of Radiant Eclipse and Avenged Sevenfold are one big happy family. Yet, the two of you are the only ones not joined in matrimony. Are there any plans to change that any time soon?”

The interviewer asked, which caused both bassists to laugh. They looked at each other, and linked fingers before Ash decided to answer.

“To be honest, it’s not something that’s ever really crossed our minds. We’ve had a lot of ups and downs in our relationship, most of it was caused by either one of us. I’m not saying it won’t ever happen, it just won’t happen right now. We’ve got so many things back to back to back, that the only other things we really have time for is our kids.”

“We will see what happens, once both of our touring cycles are over.”

Johnny added, before the interview concluded shortly after. As all the interviews wrapped up, those who were lucky enough to snag a VIP meet and greet, were being led into the venue, to the spot where the meet and greet would take place. After a quick once over in the mirror, the girls deemed themselves ready for the meet and greet and followed Natalie out of the room. The screaming and cheering started as soon as they spotted Natalie leading the girls out, and didn’t stop until each girl was seated behind the table.

“Alright everyone, just to make things go quick and smoothly, here is how things are going to work. You will go past the table, getting your things signed, and talking to the girls as you please. No pictures. Once everyone’s things have been signed, then they will get up and take pictures with everyone. Everyone got it?”

Natalie asked, as she spoke to the crowd of eager fans. The girls messed around with each other and Snapchat, while Nat spoke to the crowd. Once they all voiced their agreement, the meet and greet officially began. It wasn’t long before the table was overrun with gifts for the girls, and some for the kids. They also, briefly, freaked out when one fan, her sister and their mom, presented each of the girls with a pair of custom painted, Vans slip ons. The gifts ranged from kids toys and clothes, to the girls’ favourite candies, and coffee baskets for Anne and Ash, and hot chocolate ones for Corinne, Jess and Mateja.

“Yeah, because you totally need more coffee.”

Corinne muttered under her breath, when Ash was presented with a bag of hazelnut flavoured coffee. Ash turned and raised an eyebrow at the vocalist, whilst she remained silent.

“Like, how many coffees have you had, today alone?”

Ash grabbed the travel mug she had at the table, turned to Corinne, and downed half of it in one go. She, then, wiped the coffee off of her chin, before she turned back to the fan in front of her. Once they were sure, that everyone had their things signed, and had given their gifts to the girls, Nat got everyone into another line as the girls got up, and got ready for the photo portion of the meet and greet. The highlight of the photo session, was when each girl were presented with tshirts, that represented their favourite characters from the Marvel and DC universes. Mateja got Batman; Jess got Loki; Anne, Thor; Corinne, Captain America, and Ash a mix of Hawkeye & The Winter Soldier. The girls immediately pulled the shirts on, and wore them for the rest of the photos. Once finished, the girls bid everyone goodbye, and headed backstage, while the fans staked out spots on the barrier in front of the stage.

“So, what’s left for you girls to do?”

Johnny asked, as soon as all the girls got to the back.

“Basically, just sit back and wait, until show time. I think they are opening the doors now, and with that, I am going to change.”

Ash replied, as she grabbed her duffel bag and makeup case, then headed to the other green room. Moments later, the rest of Radiant Eclipse, followed suit. While the girls changed, and redid their makeup, the backstage area started to fill up. Various special guests, friends, family and those that had a hand in the making of Phoenix, had started to arrive. As soon as Ash left the green room, she nearly walked straight into Matt Walst, who was in the hallway speaking with Neil, Barry, and Raine Maida from Our Lady Peace. Matt decided to greet her, but lifting her off of the floor in a big, bear hug.

“I missed you too, you fucking dork.”

Both Ash and Anne, had made up with the Walst brothers over the course of the Vans Warped Tour. Although it did take Ash and Brad locking Anne and Matt in a bathroom to get them talking, it happened. Ash greeted Neil, Barry and Raine with hugs, before her eyes scanned the hallway for Brad.

“He’s inside, talking with Tyler from Theory Of A Deadman.”

Neil answered, before Ash could even ask. She thanked him, and then headed inside, where she ruffled Johnny’s mohawk, before she headed towards the older gentleman.

“Munchkin!”

She returned Tyler’s greeting, with a scowl and a middle finger, before she hugged Brad, and eventually relented to hug Tyler as well. It wasn’t long before, they were joined by Jacoby Shaddix from Papa Roach and a plate of shot glasses; which turned out to be filled with Jack Daniels. It was then, that Nat pulled the Ash and the girls away, before anymore shots could be taken.

“Hey! What gives?!”

The girls tried to protest, as they were led back to the other green room.

“What?! I would prefer you all to be sober for the show. You can get wasted later.”

Nat replied, before she left the room and the girls alone. They accepted the quiet solitude, and used the time to get in pre show stretching, vocal warm ups, and tune ups with their instruments. As the show time creeped closer, the girls each retreated into their own worlds and own pre show rituals. It wasn't much longer, before Nat, Mike Shinoda, and their respective significant others, came to walk them towards the stage. The closer to the stage they got, the louder the crowd got. The girls got into their traditional pre show huddle, and just as they got out of it, all the lights in the venue went out. The crowd went wild as the opening strains to Iggy Azalea’s “Black Widow” started to play.

“This show is going to be epic.”

Mike remarked to M Shadows, as they both watched the girls take to the stage. Shads nodded his agreements, as the first strains of “This Is What Rock And Roll Looks Like” kicked in. The crowd in attendance, were in for quite the treat, as the girls had planned a two hour set. A perfect mix of old, new, and a cover or two thrown in. They were nearing the end of the first hour, when Anne emerged from behind her drumset. They had decided to finish the first half of the night, with “All Fucked Up”, but with a contingency plan in place. In the event that emotions got the better of Anne, Terrence and Cory from Obey The Brave would cover guitar and bass, while Corinne and Ash would handle the rest of the vocals.

And that is exactly what ended up happening. Halfway through the song, Corinne and Ash could see that Anne began to struggle, and Ash gave the signal to Terrence and Cory. They came and took the instruments from the girls, as they each grabbed a mic, and commanded the stage along with Alex from Obey The Brave, and Caleb Shomo. Anne sat on her drum riser, head in her hands until Brian came and led her off of the stage. They ended the song, to much fanfare, and the promise that they were just taking a short break.

“Don’t you even dare try to apologize.”

Ash said, as soon as she got off of the stage. Anne was trying to apologize for not being able to finish the song, and the girls would not have any of it. They spent the next few minutes, catching their breaths, touching up their makeup, and rehydrating themselves. A couple of candid photos by Rafa Alcantara later, and they were ready to retake the stage.

“You ready?”

Ash looked at Jacoby Shaddix, who had posed the question to her, and nodded yes. They were set to open the second half, with “Scars”, which Radiant Eclipse hadn’t played in years. The sound that emitted from the crowd as deafening, as they band played the song’s opening notes. And as if the crowd could not get any louder, they did, when Jacoby took to the stage to start.

“I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut
My weakness is that I care too much
And my scars remind me that the past is real
I tear my heart open just to feel”

It was at this point, that Ash joined in on vocals.

“Drunk and I'm feeling down
And I just wanna be alone
I'm pissed cause you came around
Why don't you just go home”

They sang the rest of the song together, and Ash continued to handle the bulk of the main vocal duties for the rest of the night. She even surprised the crowd, as the played, “Through Waiting”, and the crowd screamed along with her. Ash took a couple song break, before she took to the spotlight once more.

“So, before we continue this next song, and take our last break, I have a serious question for everyone. As you all can already know, we are filming this show for our first ever DVD. BUT … who, here, would like to be in our next video?”

The girls laughed, as the crowd worked themselves into a frenzy.

“Well, I don't think that they really have a choice,”
Corinne spoke, as she absentmindedly stranded the strings on her bass.

“Seriously though, we’re going to play one more song; take a short break, and then come back for the video. And maybe we’ll bring some special guests with us.”

They waited for Anne and Mateja to switch places again, before they started into “Friends and Alibis”. As that song came to a close, they threw out a couple water bottles, before the girls hurried backstage to change, and fix their makeup. As soon as they were all clad in their matching black and white outfits, and their makeup was deemed suitable for the video, the girls took a celebratory shot of Crown Royal, and headed back out to the stage.

“Alright, this is our last song of the night and it’s called ‘Here's To Us’.”

It was during this song, that the girls’ water bottles were replaced with wine glasses, and everyone started to relax even more and revel in the success that was this night.

“We could just go home right now
Or maybe we could stick around
For just one more drink, oh yeah
Get another bottle out
Lets shoot the shit
Sit back down
For just one more drink, oh yeah

Here's to us
Here's to love
All the times
That we fucked up
Here's to you
Fill the glass
Cause the last few days
Have kicked my ass
So lets give em hell
Wish everybody well
Here's to us
Here's to us”

As the second verse kicked in, Ash walked over to the side of the stage and lip synced the lyrics with Johnny, before stealing his beer.

“Stuck it out this far together
Put our dreams through the shredder
Let’s toast cause things got better
and everything could change like that
And all these years go by so fast
But nothing lasts forever

Here's to us
Here's to love
All the times
That we messed up
Here's to you
Fill the glass
Cause the last few nights
Have kicked my ass
If they give you hell
Tell em to go fuck themselves”

Like they anticipated it, everyone in attendance, stuck their middle fingers up in the air; which made the biggest smiles appear on the bands faces.

“Here's to us
Here's to us

Here's to all that we kissed
And to all that we missed
To the biggest mistakes
That we just wouldn’t trade
To us breaking up
Without us breaking down
To whatever's come our way
Here's to us
Here's to love
All the times
That we fucked up
Here's to you
Fill the glass
Cause the last few days
Have kicked my ass
So let's give em hell
Wish everybody well”

As it was the extended version of the song, it was to feature guest vocals from all members of Avenged Sevenfold. Synyster Gates also played guitar on the song, but for the purpose of the show, he remained in the background until now, when his little solo spot came up. The crowd went wild for that, and even moreso, when the rest of the band took to the stage and the mics.

“Here's to us
Here's to love
All the times
That we messed up”

Johnny sang the first couple of bars, before he kissed Ash’s cheek and stole his beer back.

“Here's to you
Fill the glass
Cause the last few nights
Have kicked my ass”

Zacky went next, and this time, it was Jess who kissed his cheek.

“If they give you hell”

It was now Brian’s turn, as he sang his line into Anne’s mic. And they all raised their middle fingers high and proud, as they sang the next line altogether.

“Tell em to go fuck themselves
(Go fuck themselves)
Here's to us
Here's to us
Here's to us
Here's to us”

They repeated the hook, with Jimmy and then Matt taking their turns, before they finished the song as a whole.

“Here’s to us
Here’s to love
Here’s to us (Wish everybody well)
Here’s to us
Here’s to love
Here’s to us

Here’s to us”

As the song came to a close, the guys quietly left the stage, but soon reappeared with confetti cannons. The girls, the security in front of the stage, and soon everyone in the first few rows, were covered in confetti as the girls took their final bows and threw out water bottles and whatever souvenirs the fans could want. Ash, Anne, Corinne, Mateja and Jess, all took one more bow to end the night, before they finally headed backstage. After a few rounds of celebratory shots, they changed, redid their makeup for the last time, and headed off to the afterparty.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, I own nobody or no songs. I own Ash and that's about it. "This Is What Rock And Roll Looks Like" belongs to Porcelain Black and Weezy; "All Fucked Up" belongs to The Amity Affliction; "Scars" belongs to Papa Roach; "Through Waiting" belongs to Greeley Estates; "Friends And Alibis" belongs to Escape The Fate; and "Here's To Us" belongs to Halestorm.

Please comment and enjoy.