Everything.

It Was a Lie When They Smiled

"How long will you be gone?" I wondered, looking out at the green water.

"A week, maybe a little longer. My Mom is going to be out of town anyways, guess it was a good time to just... Get some alone time." She laughed.

"I thought your mom was going with you?"

She nibbled her lip, caught in the lie. I laughed and patted her back, "It's all good. Have a good time."

She nodded excitedly. "I will."

I looked forward again. Caught off guard with her next question.

"Did you ever have anything else with that illness?" She asked, reminding me of the week prior at the diner.

I shake my head. "Same stuff, mostly. I've been keeping occupied, though. I'm sure it's nothing."

"You said that before." She noted, narrowing her eyes at me carefully, like she was reading into my soul. I flinched from her stare and shook my head. "Because I'm sure of it." I backed it up... But the truth was, I didn't know rather to be concerned or not.

She hit my arm playfully, "Enough of this heavy talk, let's go hang out on the beach." She smiled, and got up, dropping her black shades from her forehead to the bridge of her nose as we walked out from under the shadows of the picnic shelter, towards the concrete staircase that led down onto the sandy beach with the rippling green water.

"Do you remember that one time, when we went with your Mom to the water park while you were babysitting Esteban?" I peered sideways at her, and noticed the flash of recognition behind her eyes. She ducked her head, "I thought we weren't going to talk about that again." She murmured in embarrassment.

Estaban, was this nosy, trouble-making ten year-old Amanda had been babysitting at the beginning of our friendship over the summer. His parents were both busy business folk, and they were going to be out of state for two weeks, with no one to watch over their devil spawn. So, Amanda volunteered cheerfully, happy to have some extra spending money. So while babysitting had it's perks, she also had to let Estaban sleep over at her house.

I remember walking through her front door one morning, and the living room was trashed, Estaban on the nice, white couch, watching Spongebob, eating pudding, dropping blobs all over the fabric. I found Amanda, still passed out in her room and woke her up. Her face turned red when she saw the house, and it took every ounce of self-control not to kill that kid. He just grinned up at her, pleased with himself that he was making her life a living hell for two weeks.

She scrubbed that couch like crazy to get out the stains, googling every possible technique, toothpaste, mouth wash, detergent, and even some pet care products. Finally, we agreed we'd lost too much time. She took the cushion case, and packed Estaban down to the laundermat to have it taken care of. (This was prior to when I'd gotten my job there) She'd told me to stay put, and clean the rest of the house before her mother got home. We got that couch put back together in the nick of time, just as her mom walked through the front door, with a big smile, and three pizza boxes in her arms. Me and Amanda sighed in relief, and gave a secret high-five.

Unfortunately... Amanda's mother used Whirlies all the time, so the following weekend when she took in laundry to have it done, Mr. Unise commented on the couch cushion with the chocolate pudding stains... Noting it hadn't been easy, but they'd gotten it out. I also remember that was the trip I filled out my application for the place after he found out I was about to lose my previous apartment.

I remember the panicked look we exchanged, and the chat shared between us and her mother afterwards. I also remember that that was Estaban's last week with us.

So her mom volunteered to take Estaban to the waterpark. By this time, Amanda was wary of the kid, and couldn't wait to ship him home. Begged me to tag along to keep an eye on the kid.

We arrived at the park, and Estaban had the best manners around Amanda's mom, so she never believed us when we told her about what went on when she was at work all day. Estaban had the most charismatic smile you'd ever see on a kid, as he politely asked to use the water slide. Amanda's mom whisked us after him, and it was too late, he was already at the top, and when we got there, he wore the most devilish grin you'd ever see on a kid...

"What did you do?..." Amanda narrowed her eyes at him, Estaban did not answer, instead, he pointed over the railing. We exchanged looks, and carefully stepped up to the rails, to look over. From up there, you could see the exit of the slide, also most of the track down.

Amanda's jaw dropped, "You seriously... Did... Not... Do that." She whispered in disbelief. Half the way down the slide, was smeared in shit. Estaban took a shit on the slide, and it was all down the slide...

We turned around, and it was too late, a burly man had already climbed the latter, and was positioned at the chute.

"No!" We called out to him, but over the rushing water, he didn't hear us, and he took off. We heard the yells of disgust below and winced. Needless to say, we were both ready for Estaban to return to his parents the following day.

Amanda sighed, smirking as she recalled that dreadful day. "I remember... I don't think I could ever forget, even if I got amnesia." She noted.

I nodded, kicking at the sand as we walked, "Same."

We both started laughing.

"What do you want to do?" Amanda asked, kicking at the sand as she walked, looking over at the water. "I'm boredddd." She groaned. I laughed, "We don't have to stay at the lake all day." I reminded her, "Do you want to head back to Atlanta? Go to the mall, the movies? Go prank random people?" I asked michieviously, wiggling my eyebrows, hoping to persuade her.

She laughed and jabbed me in the ribs. "Let's go."
♠ ♠ ♠
I got my draft for this story done! We'll be on a roll now, I know where it's going, instead of feeling my way through the dark with it.