Speak Now

Speak Now

Alex feels his hands shake with nerves as he stands at the altar. He's waiting for Zack to walk down the aisle, and then it will only be about ten minutes until he's married to someone that he doesn't even really enjoy being around.

It's not that he hates Zack, it's just that this whole wedding is a product of their parents' whims. They're pretty much polar opposites, and Alex can't stand her sometimes. She's so quiet and articulate, and she never does anything unpredictable. Alex wishes that his mom would accept his flaming homosexuality instead of marrying him off to some girl he only met three months ago.

He sees the door open, and Zack walks through it, accompanied by her dad. Alex has sort of been hoping all along that this would be the moment he fell madly in love with his fiancé, but he feels nothing. Once Zack reaches Alex, her dad places her hand in Alex's. A quick glance at her tells Alex that Zack might be sick soon. She looks just as unsettled by the situation as Alex feels.

The ceremony passes quickly. After they each say their weakly-crafted vows, the justice of the peace looks up from his book.

"Does anyone object to the Union of Alexander William Gaskarth and Zack Stephanie Merrick? Speak now or forever hold your peace."

Alex holds his breath, hoping that someone, anyone, will object. The room is silent for almost two seconds before someone can be heard taking a deep breath. Within the next few seconds, every head in the room is turned toward Alex's best friend, John O'Callaghan, who's standing up in the middle of the crowd.

Alex can practically feel Zack's relief (or maybe that's just him). He sure hopes that John has something good to say.

"Alex," John says, clearing his throat, "please don't marry her. You don't love her. I know you think that you have to make your parents happy by going through with this, but just think about how huge this commitment is for a second. Mr. and Mrs. Gaskarth, with all due respect, you're off your fucking rockers if you think that this is gonna change your son's sexuality. Lex, I'm in love with you. I know you know that, and I know you feel the same. Just come with me, please. Don't go through with this."

Alex honestly thinks that's the most he's heard John say ever, and he can't do anything but just nod.

The next thing he knows, he's being picked up in a huge hug from John, and then he's being dragged away
♠ ♠ ♠
Just so no one's confused, I genderbent Zack on purpose. Also, I'm sorry this is so short. It's because I'm garbage. I'm working on another Callakarth fic right now that's gonna be (hopefully) upwards of 10,000 words, so that'll probably be up in about two weeks.