Where'd You Go

The Triwizard Tournament

"When do you think they're going to announce the news?" Hermione asked when we walked into the Great Hall. The people that were already seating were chattering loudly.

"Probably after dinner. I don't think anyone would eat if they announced it before. Too much excitement."

"Did you see the carriage? I think they're from Beauxbatons." People were whispering about the carriage that nearly took Hagrid's head off and the boat that appeared out of the black lake. I'd heard of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang before. My mother wanted me to go to Beauxbatons, seeing as that was where she went for school, but when my letter from Hogwarts arrived, my father was thrilled and managed to talk her our of sending me to France.

"Are they staying in the castle with us? I mean, I'm sure there's room, but do you really think Dumbledore would let that happen?" I was curious. Outsiders being in the castle wasn't the best idea, but if Dumbledore trusted them, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

"I just want to eat," Ron said as we all sat down. Of course food was the only thing on his mind. I felt bad for the woman he married. He'd probably eat them out of house and home. The chatter died down as the first years entered the Great Hall, looking as nervous as we all did our first night at Hogwarts. I could see the sorting hat up front, and I smiled. His song changed every year, and I was a little excited to hear what he'd come up with this time.

A thousand years or more ago
When I was newly sewn,
There lived four wizards of renown,
Whose names are still well known:

Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor,
Fair Ravenclaw, from glen,
Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad,
Shrewd Slytherin, from fen.

They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,
They hatched a daring plan
To educate young sorcerers
Thus Hogwarts School began.

Now each of these four founders
Formed their own house, for each
Did value different virtues
In the ones they had to teach.

By Gryffindor, the bravest were
Prized far beyond the rest;
For Ravenclaw, the cleverest
Would always be the best;

For Hufflepuff, hard workers were
Most worthy of admission;
And power-hungry Slytherin
Loved those of great ambition.

While still alive they did divide
Their favourites from the throng,
Yet how to pick the worthy ones
When they were dead and gone?

Twas Gryffindor who found the way,
He whipped me off his head
The founders put some brains in me
So I could choose instead!

Now slip me snug about your ears,
I've never yet been wrong,
I'll have a look inside your mind
And tell where you belong!


We all erupted with claps like we did every year and fell silent when the first name was called.

"Things were so easy then, weren't they?" I wanted to laugh in Hermione's face. She was the nervous out of all of us, telling herself to relax as she walked up to the school.

"You looked like you wanted to die when you were getting sorted," I reminded her, pulling at a loose thread on my robes.

"I know. I just mean that they're so young. They don't really know what's going on, just like we didn't really know. Things are easier when you're naive." That she was right about. Being in a state of constant worry at the age of 14 wasn't fun, but it was the hand of cards we were dealt, and we had to deal with it the best we could.

“Now, we’re all settled in and sorted, I have an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year, but home to some very special guests as well. You see, Hogwarts has been chosen..” Dumbledore trailed off as Filch ran up the middle aisle and whispered something in his ear. Whatever it was had to have been important because Filch quickly ran out of the Great Hall, leaving everyone confused as to what exactly was going on, “Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Triwizard tournament.” The entire Great Hall erupted with whispers, some excited, others concerned and confused. I turned to look at Hermione. She was shaking her head.

“I can’t believe they’re actually going through with this,” I murmured, knowing how dangerous this competition was. We all had enough going on without purposely putting people in harm's way.

“It’s probably to give us a break. We’ve had to deal with so much over the last three years,” Hermione answered. For someone that was smart, she obvious didn’t know what the Triwizard tournament entailed.

“Now, for those of you who do not know, the Triwizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if chosen you stand alone. And trust me when I say, these contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later. For now, please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and their headmistress Madam Maxime.” The doors to the Great Hall open, and two neat lines of girls walked in. Of course, every boy within a two mile radius gawked as they began to run down the aisle, butterflies billowing out from between them.

“Blimey. That’s one big woman,” Seamus spoke from across the table as Madame Maxime walked down the aisle behind her students

“And now our friends from the north, please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and their high master Igor Karkaroff.” The boys that walked into the Great Hall were holding staffs, banging them into the ground rhythmically, twirling them back and forth before they ran to the front. Ron excited voice rattled off as Viktor Krum walked into the Great Hall. I didn’t know he was still in school. I was under the impression that to play for a country’s Quidditch team, you had to have graduated already.

“What do you think the tasks are going to be like?” Ron was stuffing food in his mouth, much like he did every meal I’d ever seen him eat. I scrunched my nose in disgust as bits of chicken dropped onto his plate.

“Life threatening,” I said honestly, moving some peas around my plate. I didn’t have much of an appetite, but I forced down a couple bites of food anyway.

“I don’t think they’d do anything to put anyone in a significant danger,” Hermione said, taking a sip of her pumpkin juice.

“People die in this tournament.” I felt a pair of eyes on me, and I turned my head. finding Cedric staring in my direction. He seemed excited, and I had a feeling he was planning on participating in the tournament. A sour feeling entered my stomach, and I pushed my plate back.

“What’s wrong?” Harry asked.

“This isn’t going to end well.” For once, I was going with my gut and being honest. Someone was going to die.

"Your attention please!" The chatter once again died down as Dumbledore's booming sounded throughout the room, "I would like to say a few words. Eternal glory; that's what awaits the student who wins the Triwizard tournament. But to do that, the student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks."

"Wicked" I heard the twins whispering, knowing they both wanted to participate. Mrs. Weasley would probably killed them if she knew they were thinking about it.

"For this reason, the ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the department of international magic cooperation, Mr. Bartemius Crouch." Dumbledore stepped back, and we all stared at the man who nearly killed me and Harry. I narrowed my eyes, wishing something would fall on his head. Much to my surprise, there was a loud clap of thunder, and ran began to fall on us. It's not exactly what I was thinking, but when you ask Hogwarts for something, you get it. Most people began shrieking and covering their hair. There was a loud crackle and the rain stopped. A man in the dark corner of the Great Hall walked forward, limping harshly as he shook hands with Dumbledore.

"Bloody hell. That's Mad-Eye Moody." I'd heard his name a few times. He was responsible for a good majority of the people sitting in Azkaban. He was a bit of a legend.

"Alastor Moody? The auror?" Hermione spoke up, raising her eyebrows.

"Auror?" I had to remember that Dean was a muggle born. He still wasn't aware of a lot of things that went on in the wizarding world, so I gave him a pass for not knowing what an auror was.

"Dark wizard catcher. Half the cells in Azkaban are filled thanks to him. He supposed to be mad as a hatter though, these days." I watched Mad-Eye Moody take a sip of something and shudder.

"What do you reckon he's drinking?" Seamus asked. Harry was staring directly at our newest professor, at least that's what I assumed he was. We got a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher every year, and I assumed this year was no different.

"I don't know, but I don't think it's pumpkin juice." Harry being suspicious made me suspicious, and I made a mental note to keep a close eye on Moody during classes.

"After much deliberation, the ministry has concluded that for their own safety, no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put forth their name for the Triwizard tournament." The angry outbursts began, people screaming how the rule was rubbish, but I was okay with it. At the age of 17, you could do magic outside of school. You were getting ready to graduate, and you were nearly an adult. That seemed to be the perfect age to rationally decide whether or not you wanted to risk your life for eternal glory.

"SILENCE!" Dumbledore's voice boomed, and the entire room grew silent. There was a large box sitting where his podium would normally stand. He pointed his wand at it, the casing melting away to reveal what was inside, "The goblet of fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves for the tournament merely write their name on a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly. If chosen, there's no turning back. As from this moment, the Triwizard tournament has begun." I pushed myself from the table, having every intention of going up to the common room. I was exhausted, and the incessant chatter was giving me a minor headache. I stopped outside the doorway when I realized I didn't know the password. Sighing, I took a seat on the stairs and waited for a prefect to show up.

"Alexandria." I looked up at the sound of Cedric's voice. I wanted to know why insisted on calling me by my full name when everyone else called me Alex.

"Aren't you supposed to be showing first years where their house is?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at him. He smiled a little, shaking his head.

"Two prefects per house for a reason. I don't have to be anywhere." I nodded once, watching as the corridors filled up with terrified first years and their prefects explaining to be careful because the staircases liked to change.

"Is there something I could help you with?" I was trying my best not to be rude.

"I actually just wanted to make sure you were okay. You looked kind of upset at dinner." He had been watching me, which was a little creepy, but I decided not to question it at this present moment.

"We're hosting a tournament where people are killed. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather not watch someone die," I said and shrugged, pushing my hair over my shoulder.

"People don't always die."

"But it's very possible, and I'd rather not take the chance." I had a feeling Cedric was going to be the one to put his name in the goblet of fire and come out a triwizard champion. That didn't sit well with me, but I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to convince him otherwise if his mind was already made up. The prefect for Gryffindor appeared and let the first years inside, completely ignoring me and Cedric. I stood, dusting off the back of my robes.

"I'll see you tomorrow then?" He asked, disappointment in his eyes. I wasn't sure what he was expecting from me, but I nodded all the same.

"Sure. Goodnight, Cedric."

"Goodnight, Alexandria."
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a warning, I will be using excerpts from the book and movie throughout this story. Not in every chapter, just where they are necessary, and there will be a disclaimer in each of those chapters.

Anything from the books or the movies, I do not own the rights to. I don't own the rights to J.K. Rowling's characters. I do, however, own the rights to Alexandria.

Thank you for reading.