When The Snow Settles

Sloan

“Please.” Came her voice again. It was tearing him apart. He wanted to say yes, he should say yes...

“No.”

Please.” He shook his head, his eyes meeting Adrae’s. She was pleading with him, begging with him, but he wouldn’t. Not only would his father kill him, but it would kill himself. It would endanger her life, and he wouldn’t do that. Even if seeing her beg was also killing him. “Why not?” Her voice was quiet, shrinking down to what it used to be. No. He couldn’t let that happen.

“Because whoever attacked you, assumes you’re dead. If you come into town...” he trailed off, not wanting to think about it. “Maybe if you tell me who attacked you...” he trailed off again, but she didn’t speak.

The storm had died down, and he and Addison were going into town. He was going to look around for Chris, while Addison talked to the Galae. If anyone knew about the attack on Adrae, they would. They had eyes everywhere, and if they didn’t know... then this was bigger than he thought.

“I’ll have a hood up.” She said, her voice back to pleading. She had been trying to get him to say yes for at least over two hours now, and he hated to admit it, he was beginning to waver inside. “Please. I can help.”

“I believe he said no.” Thank gosh. His father wouldn’t waver. He was there perfect timing. “I’m sorry Adrae, but he’s right with this one. We don’t know who you’re up against, and until we do, it’s not safe for you to be wandering around town.” He hid his smile. His father was trying to get it out of her too. But she didn’t budge. She wouldn’t.

“I understand.” Her voice was quieter, but relief hit him. She, however, had her head hung, looking deep in thought. “Thank you.” He blinked, taken aback. Had she really went from begging to being thankful in two seconds? “I appreciate you opening your home. I won’t forget it.” Won’t forg...

“No.” He said thickly, standing up. Her eyes snapped up to meet his, surprise and a little fear there. She had no need to fear him, but he would worry about that later. He knew what she was talking about. She was going to leave. They had no hold on her, so technically speaking, she could leave on her own. “This is for your safety, Adrae. So trust me. I haven’t let you down yet. So let me do this. Don’t leave.” His father clued in now, also standing.

Between him and his father, they had managed to convince her to stay... for that night anyways. He still couldn’t get the look on her face when she gave in. She looked so broken, so lost. It haunted him, but he knew it was best. And if he could find Chris, maybe it would have been worth it. Maybe she wouldn’t be upset anymore.

The wind was picking up again, and one look at the sky told him that they wouldn’t make it back that night. They’d be stuck in town. Blizzards lasting for months wasn’t unheard of, and it being that way, meant they had to take advantage of every decrease in wind possible.

“I hate winter.” Mumbled Addison’s voice. He shot a glance at him, but said nothing. He loved winter, but he wasn’t in the mood for an argument.

It didn’t take too long before the lights of the town came into view. Their first stop would be the café to get something warm in them. As usual, the café was full of people and heat. It was always the warmest place, with fresh pies and meals daily. It was what made the town more of town. It was where everyone socialized, and he loved it. Addison didn’t like it too much, saying there were too many people.

“Would you men like something warm?” Addison gave a brief nod before heading off to a table.

“Yes, Ma’am, that would be great.” The woman smiled at him, obviously thankful that one of them had manners. He was used to it. Addison would be a jerk to people he didn’t know, and he’d make up for it. It was how it worked, and how it always would. He didn’t care too much, though.

He wandered around for a while before he spotted Addison. He let out a breath before going to join him. He didn’t really feel like sitting with the men he had sat down with, but if he didn’t, rumors would go around. And until he made up his mind, he didn’t need that.

Sloan, Murray, and Leif were there. Sloan was the man in command at the Galae. Everything went through him, and surprising enough, he was on his good side. That was always good. If you were on his bad side... bad things tended to happen. He didn’t know all the details, but he did no that no one messed with him. Murray and Leif had been in the same class as him and Addison. They were well enough to get along with, and both had signed on a month ago, but something about them stopped him from being more than work partners. They seemed nice, they acted nice... but he couldn’t help but notice in the training, the way their eyes would gleam when they shouldn’t have. Maybe it was his imagination, but he did know he didn’t like them. Sloan loved them. Go figure.

“Daire! Nice to see you, I see your father hasn’t gotten you roped in yet.” He gave Sloan a smile, sliding into the open seat. Not shortly after, the same woman from earlier, set down drinks for him and Addison. He mumbled a thanks before turning to Sloan.

“Not yet. I’m still weighing everything.” Sloan smiled.

“Good. You’re a good man, you’d make a great addition to the Galae. I’ve never seen a man complete that obstacle course so fast.” He smiled, welcoming the praise. That was one thing he was good at; running. He was fast, he knew it, they knew it. It as actually at a race he was running in, when Sloan first approached him. He was going to go into the Galae anyway, only a little later on in life. But Sloan had offered to pay for everything and help him get into the training, so he agreed. How could he not? And Addison, of course, followed right after him.

“So, what is it you were wondering?” Sloan asked, turning to Addison. He held back his groan, he wished Addison would do this when he wasn’t around. But he knew why Addison was doing it now, he wanted to help. Addison had insisted on helping Daire look for Chris, but he had pointed out that they needed info from the Galae, and he was the only one out of them currently enrolled.

Addison glanced at him, and he knew he was going through the rehearsed story. They couldn’t go out and say he had saved Adrae, for if someone in the Galae was going against Sloan, then it would put her in danger.

“You know a few nights ago, when the wind had died down? I’m sure you heard that Daire came into town to get me.” Sloan nodded, looking interested. Murray was stirring his coffee and Leif was eyeing a woman across the café. “Well, when we were heading back, we found Emily playing by the lake. She shouldn’t have been out there,” Addison let out a laugh now. “You should have heard Daire’s father yelling at her. Saying it was dangerous and she could have fallen through an-“ Addison paused, giving a sheepish smile. He should have been an actor. If he hadn’t known about the scrip t he would have bought it. “Sorry. Off topic. Anyways,” Sloan smiled now. He always did love Addison being the way he was. According to him, Addison brought cheer and fun into the Galae. A load of crap if you asked him, but he wasn’t about to say that to Sloan.

“Anyways,” he said again, “Emily’s father freaked even more when he heard what the girl had to say. She said she saw a doll. A life size doll. When we questioned further, she said the girl was as big as a human. So Daire asked, what makes you think she was a doll? And Emily said that it was due to the skin. It was pale and glassy looking.” In this weather, the glassy look wouldn’t take long. Sloan knew that. “So, we went out to look, but the storm kicked back up, so we had to head back. We checked by the lake on the way here, but couldn’t find anything. Maybe the current got it caught under, who knows. Maybe Emily imagined it, but by the sounds of it, she found a body.” Sloan looked throughly interested now, a smile on his face. He frowned, shouldn’t Sloan be upset? Or as he thought, he did know about it. Sloan must have already dealt with whoever had done it. So Adrae could have come into town, and he didn’t have to make her upset.

“And you want to know if I know how a body got all the way up there?” Addison gave a sheepish nod.

“Yeah, if you know anything. It would help ease his father’s nerves, you know? Plus his old woman, she was jumping off the shelf when she heard that. Saying that it’s supposed to be safe, so I was hoping that I could get something to reassure her. They’re nice enough to put me up out there, so it’s the least I can do.” Sloan smiled.

“They’re in no danger, you make sure to tell them that. As for the body, I should have guessed it would travel down the river.” Guessed? So he did know who killed her. “Blonde hair, right?” He frowned, but Addison nodded.

“Yeah. That would be her.” Sloan lent back on his chair now, letting out a sigh as he sipped his coffee. “So you caught the guy?” Addison asked, speaking the question on his mind. At this question, Murray let out a loud laugh, and Leif’s attention turned to Addison. They both looked interested now. Sloan let his chair fall back down and smiled.

“Caught? I wouldn’t use that word.” He let out a smile. “But let me tell you this. That girl was a menace, she deserves to rot at the bottom of the lake. I’m just sorry we caught her out near your house, Daire. You know I would never harm your family.” He couldn’t breath.

Sloan had done it? Sloan had killed her...

He glanced at Murray and Leif who were snickering now. He frowned. No. They couldn’t have, could they?

“Why is she afraid of me, then?” Addison’s words rang through his head. He remembered the look on her face when she saw him, when she saw his jacket... when she saw the Galae symbol. Oh gosh.

The Galae. They had done it. They had attacked and tried to kill Adrae, they were the ones who killed her parents and were sought after killing Chris. Damn, just the thought of her coming into town now, sent a serious wave of fear up him. She could have died. She would have. They would have noticed.

And he... he was going to be one. That was why she had freaked when she learned that, that was why she didn’t trust Addison. Addison... he was already in for life. Damn. He was screwed, and he almost was too. This wasn’t good. The Galae got anything they wanted, and if they found out his family was saving Adrae, they were all dead. That would explain why she didn’t want to stay. She wasn’t stupid.

He realized that Sloan was watching him, and it sent a cold chill down his spine. He had trusted Sloan, he had done anything he asked...

“I know you wouldn’t,” he said faking a smile which was harder than usual. “And I thank you for that. I’ll tell my parents that the death of the girl was a mistake and it was unfortunate that she ended up where she did.” Sloan smiled widely now.

“That’s what I like about you, Daire, you always know what to say.” He had no idea. He glanced at Addison who was also smiling, but from being his friend for so long, he knew it was fake. So Addison had no idea what he had gotten into either.

“Can I ask something?” Sloan nodded, taking a sip out of his drink. “Why was she a menace?” Sloan sneered now, a look of hatred crossing over his features. What had her family done, that made Sloan so mad?

“Sh-“

”Sir!” Another man from the Galae came running towards them, staring at Sloan. “So sorry to interrupt, but Miss Alensay won’t leave. She says th-“ Sloan rolled his eyes, letting out a deep sigh.

“Alright, alright. I swear that old hag is seeing things.” He stood up, sending a smile his way. “If you want to hear that story, stop by the base sometime and I’ll share it.” He glanced at Addison now. “You make sure to thank Daire’s parents for putting you up. Not everyone would.” Addison nodded, smiling.

Sloan left, Murray and Leif following. How could Sloan be so cool, seem so understanding, when he was a murderer? How could he? And how could anyone have the heart to kill Adrae?