When The Snow Settles

Tie them up

The wind whipped her hair, slamming it into her face and sprawling it behind her. Snow also came, chilling her already chilled bones, and numbering her already stinging nose. Her eyes watered, desperately trying to stay open. It was cold. So cold.

She kept trekking onwards, through the blizzard and pain, for what choice did she have? She didn’t have one. She hadn’t had one in a long time. If she had stayed with Daire, his family surely would have been punished for her actions. And that was something she couldn’t stand for, so she kept going. No more people would be hurt protecting her. That was a vow she made to herself, and one that kept repeating over and over in her mind. She just had to keep going.

The snow was blinding, but she kept moving, avoiding big objects she assumed were trees. But the big question was, where was she going? She ignored the question, for her feet had a path of its own. And she would follow them.

It seemed like forever, although she was sure it hadn’t been very long, before she saw it. Time in a blizzard slows down, makes you think you’ve been out for hours, when it’s really been minutes. It takes away your senses and watches as you cripple, falling to your knees. Blizzards were pure evil, and she had yet to actually enjoy one. Despite what Daire’s father had said. She despised them, for it was always in a blizzard that something went wrong. Always.

The shed stood in front of her, in it’s falling down glory. Her feet stopped moving as she stared. Her heart hammered, slamming painfully against her chest. Her fingers tingled, and her hair whipped behind her. Her eyes were still watering, but now she was wondering if it was due to the snow and the cold, or the thoughts? Just the mere memory of what had happened sent dread into her, and a fear so deep that her knees threatened to give way, even after all she went through.

But she brought herself here, which had to mean something. So she stepped forward, one step, and then another. Her sub-conscious wanted her here, so here was where she was going to be.

Her hand trembled on the door, even if it was hanging by it’s hinges. The images of her huddling, being so weak, so terrified, slammed into her again. A gasp left her, the blizzard sucking it up before it was even audible to her own ears. With all the courage she had, she pushed the door opened.

It wasn’t warm, but as she shut the door behind her, the wind stopped. The rickety walls protected her from the wind, which was at least something. Through the cracks and holes she could see the snow, which aided as light in the small shed. The dust that had layered this place had been disturbed, more so than the last time she’d been there. Had someone else come? If so, who? The owner, maybe?

Her arms wrapped around her body, hugging it. Not from the physical cold, but the emotional one. This was where it started. This was where everything spiraled downhill again, and this was what haunted her nightmares. This place. The place where no mercy was shown on her. Not by man, or by mother nature. No one showed her any mercy, and it was about time she took mattered into her own hands. She was going to find Krispin, then get out. She was through with running, and if she died looking for her last family member, so be it. Because she was never running again.

This shed was where it started. And it was going to be where she ended it.

“Daire!” His father, but he ignored it. His ears were ringing, and he had barely lifted his head when Leif slammed into him, taking his body to the ground. His back slammed against the ground, but he rolled before Leif’s body slammed on top of his. He was on his feet before Leif, and used that time to start a roundhouse kick. It him in the chest, as soon as he stood up. Leif’s body slammed against the wall, and Daire sent his fist into his face, ignoring his father’s harsh yells, or his mother’s terrified words. He ignored his little brother’s fear, and his little sister’s horror. Only one thought was in his head right now. He tried to kill her! He hurt her!

He punched him again, and again. His breath coming in pants, his vision clouded red. He had hurt her! He had to pay! No on hurt her! He punched him again and again, so much he didn’t see Leif’s eyes roll, unconsciousness coming upon him. But he didn’t care. All he wanted to do was see some justice, to see something done about the horrendous act that had been committed.

“Daire!” Hands grabbed his shoulders, shoving him aside. An angry sound left him and he tried to get back to Leif, who had slid down against the wall, his bloody face hanging in his chest, but the hands shoved him back again. “Get a hold of yourself! Now!”

It took him a few moments to realize it was his father yelling at him, and another few moments to register what he had said. Damn. He shut his eyes, trying to contain his ragged breathing. Deep breath in. Out. In. Out. He unclenched his fists and tried to relax, but every time he began to, he saw Adrae. Wandering alone in the blizzard, so scared, so lost. He opened his eyes.

He was calmed somewhat, but not to the extent his father wanted. He didn’t care. All he cared about was Adrae. She was all that mattered right now.

Both Sloan and Leif were laying on the ground, still. Neither dead, he could tell buy the rising of their chests. But he wished they were. Oh how he wished.

“Daire,” whispered his mother, her voice small and fragile. He glanced at her.

“Daire, look at me.” He obeyed his father’s instructions, to be met with angry eyes. “What were you thinking? Sloan’s the head of the Galae! You just assaulted-“

”Tie them up.” He said, his voice cold, his body heading to the door. “Tightly.”

“W-what?” He turned to his father.

“When they wake up, they’re going to be pissed. You kept a wanted fugitive, assumed dead, here. Aiding her to health and taking care of her. You’re the family of a man who just knocked out the head of the Galae and another officer from it. You’re in deep trouble, father. Either leave or tie them up, your choice.” His voice was oddly distant, but it didn’t matter. Only Adrae mattered. He grabbed his jacket, slipped on his boots, and walked out of the house, and into the snow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait! And how short it is!