When The Snow Settles

Promise

His eyes opened slowly as a yawn escaped him. He didn’t even remember falling asleep. He shifted, happy to find that he could move every part of his body. He then sat straight up and stared at the now dwindling fire. Glancing briefly to his side he expected to see the girl, but she wasn’t there. He frowned and slowly pushed himself to his feet. That was when he saw the light on in his old room. He made his way to it, slowly. His body was aching all over and he didn’t feel like causing any strain to his already sore limbs.

He pushed the door open slowly and found his father and mother talking in hushed tones next to the bed of the girl. When he had opened the door more, they both turned to him. Once they realized who it was, they smiled. He then glanced back at the girl who was no longer wearing a shirt. He could tell she was still wearing a bra due to the straps showing, but the rest of her chest and stomach were covered in bandages. She also had a few on her face and legs. He frowned, why was she so beat up?

“How is she?” He finally asked, his voice slightly hoarse. His mother smiled warmly at him whereas his father glanced at the girl then back to him.

“She’ll... live.” He said slowly. “She has two broken ribs and a lot of injuries, son. It looks like she’s been beaten, and at such a young age. I think she’s barely seventeen. I don’t recognize her though, and I would for sure have remembered a face like hers in town.” He knew that his father wasn’t admiring her beauty, his father wasn’t like that. He merely meant that she stood out slightly with her looks. Everyone in the town was kind of plain, she looked a little more lively. More full of joy and that innocent youth. He had been thinking the very thing when he first saw her too.

“Who could beat up a girl?” He grumbled bitterly. It was cruel and mean. It was heatless and just plain stupid. He clenched his fists in anger as he stared at the poor girl that lay in his old bed. It wasn’t right for her to endure this. It wasn’t right for her to be feeling so much pain, what did she do to deserve it? Did she even do something, and if she did, surely she didn’t deserve this much?

“Don’t beat yourself up over it, son. There’s nothing you can do now.” He paused. “I’m sure she’ll come around soon. Your mother has agreed to stay with her, for if she wakes up alone in a place she doesn’t know, she may be scared.” He gave a small nod, understanding what they were saying. “Now go get some sleep, you’ve been through a lot. We’ll talk more tomorrow.” He nodded again, his eyes beginning to sag.

He turned and slowly sauntered out back to the living room. Their house, or cabin if you will, wasn’t very large. A living room, with a kitchen, four bedrooms and two bathrooms. His parents shared one bedroom, he had another, his sister had another and his two little brother had the last one.

He bent down and grabbed the blanket he had been using. He then walked over to the couch, since the girl was in his bed he’d have to make due with this. He didn’t mind though, sleep was sleep right now. So that was what he did.

Pain. A lot of it. A small moan escaped her chapped lips... surprisingly they didn’t feel bloody. Maybe the whole thing had been a dream? No, her general rib area was killing her and her face was also pulsating, or so it seemed. It wasn’t a dream, but if it wasn’t, what was she feeling? She remembered being thrown in the river, she remembered blacking out after only a few seconds under the water, but she had no memory of anything after. She should be dead. She should be feeling no more pain... she shouldn’t be laying in something soft.

With much strain, she opened her eyes. The room was lit, and from the view of the ceiling of the room, it wasn’t extremely big. But what did that matter?

She could tell her breathing was labored, her chest heaving up and down was proof to that. She then slowly allowed her eyes to travel around the room, and when her eyes landed beside her, she nearly jumped. If she hadn’t been in such a beat up condition, she would have.

A woman sat there, she looked around 45? 46? She gave her a small warm smile which actually calmed her slightly, but not completely. Where was she? Who was this woman? And why was still alive? Were they planning on torturing her more? Pain and fear began to course through her as images of the previous beatings flashed back to her. The woman obviously sensed her discomfort for she spoke.

“I apologize for whatever you may have endured, dear. I can only imagine from your wounds.” She paused, allowing what she said to sink in. It was a good thing too, for it took her a moment to actually realize what had been said. “You may be curious to where you are? Hmm?” She continued to stare at the woman, their eyes staying locked onto each others until she broke it. She turned her gaze to the lantern. “This place may not be grand, but it’s home. And you are welcome to stay in it.” She then snapped her gaze back to the woman. Stay? How did she even get here? As if reading her mind, the woman continued. “Fortunate for you, my son had been heading home for a visit. He’s the reason you are here. Be sure to thank him in the morning, will you dear?” Her voice was so gentle and so quiet she wondered what the woman would sound like mad. She didn’t want to be the one to find out.

Her eyes then began to droop as exhaustion began to take over her again. Her body was aching and her mind just wanted to sleep. It just wanted to forget everything for a moment, it was all too much to understand. She had no idea who this woman was, or who this man was. They could easily give her back to the Galae, the men who had been beating her. And that’s what scared her; she had no reason to trust these people, but she also had no reason not to trust them.

“Sweetie, if you need anything I’ll just be in the room across from this room. Feel free to hollar. Sleep tight.” She then put out the lantern and as soon as the room was filled with darkness, her body was filled with it too.

The next time she woke up she could feel the sun beating down on her aching body. And aching it was... it was like little needles were sticking through her and her mid section was being repeatedly hacked into with an axe. Her face felt as if it had been repeatedly hit, and her whole body felt as if it had been skinned. It wasn’t a pleasant feeling.

She opened her eyes slowly letting out a gasp of how bright it was in the room. The window, which the sun was coming into, was completely white. She stared at the window for a moment before realizing that the condition hadn’t gotten any better, except for the now sunlight.

Slowly she pushed her body into a sitting position, cringing in the process. Her eyes traveled downwards to see herself covered in bandages. Her cheeks burned for a second at the thought of someone seeing her almost completely naked. She pushed that thought out of her head though, they had saved her. As simple as that.

Straining, she walked towards the door that was creaked open slightly. She gripped the side of the door once at it and pulled it open more, her whole body almost falling over.

Her eyes landed on what looked to be the family room. The woman she had met earlier was wearing an apron with her hands on the hips talking to an elderly man. She assumed her husband. Then on the couch a figure lay on his stomach, shirtless, and his hair a mess. He was reaching over, the blanket still on from the waist down, and messing up some little boys hair while another little boy tried to jump on him. Lastly, there was a girl, not little, yet not yet at a peak in the youth. She was sitting around a wooden doll house smiling as she kept glancing at who she guessed were her brothers.

“For heavens sake, Daire! Get up already, it’s nearly two in the afternoon. And put on a shirt!” The woman said sounding breathless, but her voice still held the gentle-ness and the quiet fatigue. The man on the couch looked up at the woman and smiled widely, his hair sticking out in places.

“Come on, Ma, I just got home, cut me some slack?” He asked with a hopeful grin. The woman, who she now knew as the mom made a sound before crossing her arms. Before she or anyone else could say anything the elder man noticed her and smiled. The mothers eyes then followed his and also smiled. After she had turned the man on the couch also looked, his smile never wavering. “Morning.” He said cheerfully. She didn’t say anything, she just stood there clutching the doorframe.

“How are you feeling, deary?” She stared at the woman, still trying to put together what had all happened. But nonetheless, these people had showed a complete stranger kindness, she owed them respect and kindness back. So she would return.

“Okay.” She said, but her voice was very quiet and pained, she could tell that they had to strain to hear it. It wasn’t her fault she had been tossed into a stream and almost killed, that tended to do a tole on the body. The elderly man frowned ever so slightly but the woman’s smile stayed. The man on the couch, who only looked a few years older than her, also frowned, his deeper than who she figured was his father. He opened his mouth to speak but before he could get out a sound, his mother shot him a warning look, as if not to pester her.

He seemed about to argue but the little girl had finally noticed her and jumped to her feet. She then ran over her and took one of her hands, much to her dismay. She needed the doorway for support. The girl however began to pull her, again to her dismay. She cringed in pain but allowed the girl to do so. She seemed so happy and she didn’t want to ruin it for her.

“Emily,” started the father, obviously seeing her pain. The other man obviously noticed too for her had sat up and had a concerned look on his face. “Maybe you should leave this poor girl alone, she needs to rest.”

“But she rested all day,” she drawled. “And I want to show her my doll house!” Emily then turned to her, a huge smile on her face. “There’s two floors!” She said, her face showing amazement. “And a hot tub, and a pool table and...” she continued on like that, but she couldn’t really concentrate, the pain was too great. She just smiled and let Emily help her sit down by the doll house. She wouldn’t ruin the girls fun because of her own pain.“And look! There’s even flowers on the wall!” She managed a small smile before a small gasp came due to her aching side.

Emily glanced up, a smile still on her face. She reached out her hand and grabbed hers, gripping it tightly. She had a strong grip for such a young girl, or she was merely weak. Either or.

“I think that’s enough,” came the elderly mans voice from right behind her. Her head snapped around in shock, causing her ribs to strain. Her eyes closed in pain and she felt the man helping her up. When she opened her eyes back up, the man was setting her down on the couch next to the still shirtless man. She glanced at him, briefly wondering if he was the man who saved her. “Stay here, I’ll see what I can do for the pain.” With that he left, the woman following behind.

The biggest of the two boys then charged the other man with a plastic sword. The man smiled before picking him up, a second before the sword would have hit his knee. The boy squealed in happiness as he spun him before sitting him down in his lap. The other boy had gone and sat next to Emily.

“What do you say to that, Jake?” He asked with a silly grin on his face. Jake smiled and mumbled something not audible. She tore her eyes away from the sight and stared in front of her. It was more awkward than anything being here. She should just leave, not put them through the hassle of watching her.

“So, I’m Daire.” Said the man, she turned to face him again. “The sweet woman you met earlier,” his voice held sarcasm, “is my mother. Then of course there’s my father and Emily. This little guy,” the boy grunted at the little comment. “Is Jake. The other kid is Tod.” He paused. “And you would be?” She stared at him, his smile somehow calmed her restless nerves. She didn’t think he would hurt her, but how did she know? She had never been able to trust anyone, and the previous days events proved that.

“Adrae,” she said her voice still really quiet. So far he gave her no need to fear him, so she wouldn’t. Not now anyways. Daire smiled and went to speak but froze when his father walked into the room, a glass of water and some type of pill in his hands. He handed them both to her and she took them with slightly shaking hands. Her eyes stared at the small blue pill in her hand. Could she trust the man? It would be rude not to, after all the kindness they had been showing her. So she took the pill and downed the cup of water. She hadn’t even realized how thirsty she had been.

She glanced over to see Daire mumbling something to his father quietly before shooting her another smile. His father smiled before nodding and walking away. Daire turned to her, surveying her. He finally looked away, only when she caught him staring. She tore her eyes away from him and turned to Emily who was now showing Tod the basement in the dollhouse. She could feel Daire staring at her as she continued to watch Emily and Tod with the dollhouse, but she tried her best to ignore it. He finally spoke, and she was glad. His gaze somehow made her uneasy.

“Adrae,” he said slowly. “How are you feeling? You’ve been through a lot.” She turned to him but said nothing. He didn’t have any clue how she was feeling. The pain would scar, physical and mental. That was for sure, she would never forget this unless she lost her sanity, which she was beginning to think was starting to go.

When she didn’t respond he turned to face her fully, worry etched in his face. He wasn’t smiling at her, he wasn’t even attempting a weak smile, not that she would. Not that she could, her lips just seemed too void of the feeling of a smile. She could feel his eyes staring at her again, but she continued to stare at the ground, until a wave of dizziness came.

A gasp escaped her as her eyes shut painfully tight. Her body swayed and almost fell forward, but Daire caught her and stood up, laying her down on the couch. Her mind was burning. It was swirling and she was finding it difficult to concentrate on one thing. She was finding it difficult to be conscious. She was fighting a losing battle for her consciousness, so like she did her whole life, she gave in.

He stared at her body as it fell still. He was breathing heavily, what just happened here?

“What’s going on?” Came a voice behind him, causing him to jump. He had been so intent on making sure she was okay, he hadn’t heard his father come up behind him. He didn’t answer his fathers question, he didn’t know what was going on. His father pushed past him and knelt down by Adrae, gripping her wrist and using two fingers to test for a pulse. He gave a small nod to him, indicating she was still alive. It eased his nerves slightly, but not entirely. He was still stressing over the girl. His father turned back to her, putting his hand on her forehead. “She’s getting a fever. She must be worrying over what happened, and with that combined stress and her already wounded and weak body, her mind can’t take it.” He then turned to Daire. “Be nice to her, promise me.”

He frowned. Why wouldn’t he be nice? He was the one who saved her, the one who was worrying to death about her. He found it odd that he worried about someone he didn’t even know, yet here he was. She needed protection, and he planned on being it.

“I would never hur-“

”Promise me, Daire. Promise me that no matter what happens, you’ll be nice to her. Don’t cause her pain.” He frowned but gave a small nod, earning a smile from his father. “Good, now go get me some wet clothes.” He scowled.

“Not even home for a day and already getting bossed around,” he grumbled as he stalked toward the kitchen.

His mother was in there, making something edible. Not that he had a clue of what it was, but it didn’t matter. It was always good. She glanced briefly at him as he grabbed a cloth and walked to the sink. She was kneading some sort of dough at the time, flower covering almost every inch of her. If any other time, he’d be laughing at her, but now, now wasn’t the time to laugh.

Once he had the cloth wet, he headed back to his father who was now tending to Adrae who had yet to awake.