When The Snow Settles

Do you really want to know?

How could he do that? She couldn’t believe Daire would bring back one of them. She had started to trust him, started to think of him as a friend... then he went and did this. How could he?

Fear was running through her and she couldn’t stop it. She didn’t even know if Daire knew, which was the reason for why he brought him here, or if it was just some fluke coincidence. She begged for the latter, but that didn’t ease her nerves.

She was going to get beaten again, and the family could possibly endure it too. She was deaf for a moment, and only when she realized Daire was right in front of her, did her hearing begin to work again.

“Adrae, look at me.” She did. She looked into his eyes and silently pleaded for this not to be his doing. He said he wouldn’t hurt her, that she could trust him. She wanted to. Something about him wanted her to, something she wanted to obey. “What’s the matter? Where does it hurt?” Hurt? Did he think she was hurt? That the fear and shaking was due to some random pain?

She glanced briefly at the man who was now watching her with mild curiosity and confusion. So he didn’t know who she was, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t find out. She didn’t trust him, and without even thinking of it, she moved closer to Daire.

“Who is he?” She asked, her voice deathly quiet. Daire frowned for a moment before glancing at the man.

“Uh...” he mumbled, looking somewhat confused. Did he realize her reaction was to the man, and not to any pain? “Adrae, this is Addison. He’s a friend. He’ll be staying here for a while.” She wanted to ask how long, but she kept her mouth shut. That would be rude. Especially since they were allowing her to stay there. “Are you okay?” He asked, his eyes holding worry.

She stared into them. Was she okay? No. But could she do anything about it? No. This was Daire’s friend, and although he trusted him, that didn’t mean she could his. But that also showed her that she may not even be able to trust Daire. He was, after all, friends with Addison.

“Yeah,” she finally said. “I’m fine. Just... shocked.” Daire frowned but she spoke again. “I’m tired.” She knew that was the only way to get out of the room. Daire wouldn’t force her to stay if she voiced her exhaustion, and sure enough, he ran a hand through his hair. He let out a sigh before glancing at Addison, then back to her.

“Alright. Go get some rest... I want to talk to you in the morning, though.”

He watched as she left, confusion engulfing him. Why had she freaked out when she saw Addison? Why was she getting out of the room? It didn’t make sense, but then again, nothing did. Maybe if he knew what had happened to her in the first place, he could understand it all. But with all the questions going around, it only led to more. He was beginning to wonder if he’d ever get the answers.

“So...” said Addison, grabbing his attention. “That was interesting. Mind telling me who she is?” Right. He still had to explain it to Addison. That ought to be fun.

“I found her on the way home.” He said, before explaining the rest of it. He left out some small details, but told him the gist of it. That was all he needed to know, and by the time he was finished, Addison was looking confused.

“Why is she afraid of me, then?” He frowned. Afraid? She wasn’t... or was she? That would explain her reaction.

“No idea. But for now, try to avoid being alone in a room with her. We don’t’ need her having to deal with more than she already is.”

Her body snapped up as a loud bang came from the other room. Her heart was beating rapidly and it took her a moment to realize where she was again. She wondered if she’d ever get used to waking up there, and if she did, if it would ever feel like home.

Home. That was something she hadn’t thought about for a long time. The thought
of it set off an old wound, sending some pain through her. It had been so long, but it still hurt. The wound would never heal, and she didn’t blame it. Just thinking of everything that had happened brought pain to her. If only Daire hadn’t have saved her, then maybe she wouldn’t have to remember it. Wouldn’t have to think of it...

She shook her head, ridding the thoughts, before turning to the living room where laughter suddenly broke out. What was going on? The fear left her and was replaced with curiosity.

After debating about it, she finally got up and walked out, towards the laughter. Once at the door, she gripped it and pulled. Her hand found the door frame and held it. Her body was still weak.

Her eyes landed on Addison who was now laying on the ground with Jason over top of him, his one foot on Addison’s chest. Daire was sitting on the couch laughing, Tod in his lap sucking on his thumb. Addison was scowling as Daire continued to laugh.

Before she could try to sneak back into her room, Addison’s eyes found hers. Her heart almost froze over as they did. His eyes may not have held that cold glint the mens had, but that didn’t stop her from seeing somewhat of the same look.

“Morning.” Daire said, causing Addison to break the gaze. He then shot her a smile also, and repeated what Daire said. She attempted a weak smile.

“Morning.” Daire smiled at her before standing up, setting Tod down on the couch. He walked towards her as she remained standing there. She frowned slightly before letting go of the frame. He gave her another smile before gently grabbing her arm.

“Come on, I wanna talk to you.” Right. She had forgotten about that, and she wished he would too. But despite her mind protesting, her body allowed him to pull her into the boys room which was now empty.

The room was fairly decorated. With two beds, one on either wall, and two dressers. Blankets lay hanging off the beds and clothes were scattered across the floor, along with toys. The walls held various posters. From cars to hand drawn pictures,

Her eyes took it all in as Daire led her to one of the beds. He helped her to sit down as she continued to look around. Only when he let out a small laugh did she turn to him.

“The room is interesting.” He said, amusement in his voice. She let out a small smile and he seemed to relax. He lent back against the headboard, keeping his eyes on her. “Adrae, I’m trying to understand you. I’m trying to help you, to be there for you... but it’s hard when all these questions come up.” So it was back to this.

He didn’t need to know. And sure she had been tempted to tell him a few times, it was for the best... right? Now with Addison there, it was even more risky. It would only put them in danger, and they didn’t deserve that.

Her head shook as he continued to stare at her. She wouldn’t meet his eyes as she spoke. She didn’t want to see what he was feeling.

“That night is in the past. It’s better this way... it really is. Please trust me.” She heard him let out a sigh and caught a glimpse of him running a hand though his hair.

“Alright.” His voice held no emotion. “I do want to know that, but that’s not all I want to know. I can live without that knowledge for now... but what I do really want to know is about you. Don’t you have a family that’s worried? Or someone? Isn’t there someone, or someplace you wish to get a hold of, or go to?” That stung.

She wished she had a family, she wished she had some place to go to, some place to feel loved. But currently the only place she had was where she was at. She didn’t have anyone at the moment, and she didn’t have any place to go.

That night she was out, wasn’t the first night. It was just the first night they had found her. The first night everything went bad. Sure her life hadn’t been great, but she had been dealing with it. Living with what she could. And right when she began to get some hope, of finding someone she had been looking for, everything crumbled.

Her parents were both dead. Had been for a while now. The only other family she had was an aunt and uncle who hated her guts, and an older brother. Her older brother had been her whole life. They were so close, until they had to separated. It was for the best, they were both in danger, and in him leaving, he had saved her. For a while, at least. She had finally found evidence of where he might have been, that he was still alive, the night that the men had found her. She had been so high on the hope of finding her brother, that the hard truth of them finding her, and the pain that she encountered, was too much. From being so happy, to in so much pain, was too much for her.

“Adrae,” Daire suddenly said softly. She looked up, her eyes meeting his. His eyes held concern... and regret? Why regret? It was then that she felt the tears running down her cheeks. She understood his feelings now. He had mentioned having a family, which was what set her. He blamed himself for her tears, and in a way, it was his fault. It was making her think about what she tried not to, what she tried to block out. It wasn’t his fault that she didn’t have a family, but because of him she was thinking of it again,

She wasn’t mad at him, nor was she upset with him. She would have thought about it eventually, and all he did was ask so he could help her. In a way, he was all she had.

“Do you really want to know about me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for how long this took. Also, if you're confused about the whole parents and brother thing, more information will come on it. That's how it's supposed to be, it's almost like a mystery... where a bit of it is revealed as the story goes on. Okay? Hope you enjoyed it.