The Sinner and the Traitor

That Bloody Boring Door

I stood before a door that looked exactly the same as the one next to it and then the one next to that one and so on. I didn’t knock, I didn’t call out, all I did was stand there and stare at the plain boring identical door on Privet Drive. The cold wind blew at my clothing making it cling to my body and I wished for yet the hundredth time that night that I had remembered to change into something warmer. As a witch of legal age I could just use my wand and do something about it but because of my rollercoaster of emotions I was afraid my magic would cause dangerous consequences. I had left my house two days ago and was basically on the run from the Death Eaters and the Ministry of Magic. Since the Death Eaters took over I guess I was really only running from them. It was Saturday night during my summer break and I had run away from home. I was beginning to doubt my actions when I just shook my head to get rid of those thoughts.

A why was I still staring at this damn bloody door?!

There was a tremendous roar that seemed to rip through and murder the silence of the night. My ears perked up at the familiar sound of the motor bike. It was about time someone else showed up. Then again they weren’t really expecting me to help out either since I never kept in contact with any of them outside of school.

Before I knew it the whole entourage was standing before riding either brooms, flying cars or anything else they could seem to get their hands on. Hermione gasped and ran to give me a hug before she was yanked back and Lupin shoved his wand into my face.

“Are you bloody mad Remus?!” I flinched backwards away from him. I knew most of these people didn’t really trust me but I never gave them any reason to use magic against me!

“What did I say to you in your third year when you came to me one night for advice?” He bellowed and I raised my eyebrows at him like he truly was mad.

“You told me my family wasn’t who defined who I was a person. That I was the keeper and teller of my own story.” I said having to think back a few years to the conversation we had one night when I was crying to him about how people always mistreated me because they thought I was just like my parents.

Before anyone could say anything else the boring door was thrown open and Harry stood before us haloed by the light in the house. Hermione flung her arms around Harry. Huggy mood tonight aren’t we? Ron walked past me to give him a clap on the back. Soon the others emerged from the shadows and Harry took them all in. Fred and George, Bill, Fleur, Tonks, Lupin, Arthur, Mad- Eye Moody, Kingsley Shacklebolt and a small, dirty, hangdog man who I had heard stories about and knew instantly that I didn’t like, Mundungus Fletcher. Lastly, Hagrid who was dismounting the motorbike, strips a pair of fly-specked goggles from his face and yanks a small twittering bird from his beard. I had to chuckle at that one.

“All righ’, ‘arry? Yeh look fit.” Hargid said trying to start small talk. I looked to the even more darkening sky and I knew we didn’t have long.

“Yeah, he’s ruddy gorgeous. What say we get undercover before someone murders him.” Mad-Eye exclaimed and I nodded in agreement. “Miss Beyer. This is a surprise. Did someone-.”

“Already checked. It’s her.” Lupin said staring hard at me. I looked away. Mad-Eye merely nodded.
Everyone spilled down the hallway into the sitting room before Harry said what was on his mind. “I thought you were looking after the Prime Minister, Kingsley.”

“You’re more important.” Kingsley said with a small smile. Harry grinned before he looked towards the tall, red-headed man who stood before him, hand extended. His face is horribly scarred and I instantly knew it was Greyback who was behind it.

“Hello, Harry. Bill Weasley.”

“Wasn’t always this handsome.” Fred cracked and I thought Fleur who kill him with just her stare alone.

“Dead ugly.” George chirped in.

“True enough. Owe it all to a werewolf by name of Greyback. Hope to repay the favor one day.” Bill said smiling at Harry. I would hold Greyback down just for him if it meant getting rid of that monster. I felt the goosebumps breakout on my skin and I had to wrap my cloak around me tightly.
Fleur gave him a kiss to the cheek. When did they get together? This was news to me. “You are still beautiful to me, William.”

“Just remember, Fleur, once you’re married: Bill takes his steaks on the raw side now.”

“My husband, the joker. By the way, wait until you hear the news! Remus and I are--.” Tonks was interrupted by Mad-Eye who was getting annoyed by the small talk and wanting to get down to business.

“All right, all right! You’ll all have time for a cozy catch-up later! We’ve got to get the hell out of here and soon!” Moody dropped some sacks at his feet and turns to Harry. “Potter, you’re underage, which means you’ve still got the Trace on you.”

“The Trace?”

“It means if you basically sneeze the Ministry will know who wipes your nose.” I said speaking up from the shadows of the room. I think they forgot I was even there because it went quiet as they looked my way. I stood my ground and met each and every one of their staring gazes.

“Yes. Point is, we have to use those means of transport the Trace can’t detect: brooms, thestrals and the like. We’ll go in pairs. That way if anyone’s out there waiting for us, and I reckon there will be, they won’t know which Harry Potter is the real one.”

“The real one...?” Harry asked confused.

Moody drew a flask from his cloak. “I believe you’re familiar with this particular brew.”

”No! Absolutely not!” He hollered.

Hermione gave a sigh. “I told you he’d take it well.”

“If you think I’m going to let people risk their lives for me--.”

“Never done that before, have we now?”

“I swear we basically do that every other Tuesday during the school year.” I said to Hermione who muttered in agreement.

“This is different. Taking that. Becoming me, no.”

“Well, none of us really fancy it, mate.” Fred said with a joking smile.

“Yeah, imagine if something went wrong and we were stuck as scrawny, specky gits forever.” George fake shuttered at the thought. I seriously loved those two. They never took anything seriously but in a way that was good because they always knew how to lighten up the mood.
“Everyone here’s of age, Potter, and they’ve all agreed to take the risk.” Moody explained. “Well except for Miss Beyer here who I really don’t know why is here-.”

“Technically, I’ve been coerced.” Mundungus pointed out before turning to Harry and extending his hand. “Mundungus Fletcher, Mr. Potter. I’ve always been a huge admirer.”

“And you guys trust that weasel over me? I see where your priories lie.” I said rolling my eyes. Mundungus went to snap back a retort but he was cut off.

“Nip it, Mundungus! All right, Granger, as discussed.” Hermione grabbed a tuft of Harry’s hair and yanked. Hard.

“Blimey, Hermione!”

“Straight in here, if you please.” Moody holds out the flask, un-stoppered now. The potion inside begins to spit forth smoke. He hands it to George. “For those of you who haven’t taken Polyjuice Potion before, fair warning. It tastes like goblin piss.”

“Have a lot of experience with that, do you, Mad-Eye?” Moody’s eye rotated menacingly onto Fred. “Just trying to defuse the tension.”

Fred takes the flask from George, followed by Ron, Hermione, Fleur and a less than overjoyed Mundungus. He scowls as the potion trickles past his lips and seconds later, his features, like those of the others, begin to bubble like hot wax. As the transformation completes, seven Harry Potters stand in the tiny kitchen.

“Wow -- we’re identical!” The twins exclaimed and I laughed. I waited for the flask to be handed to me but it never was. I raised an eyebrow at Moody.

“I need you to be seen. They’ll be shocked for a moment when they see you which will give you enough time to blast them.” Oh, how nice. Moody pulls the ties on the sacks and pulls out seven identical outfits.

“Don’t have something a bit more sporty, do you?” George asked honestly looking like he would rather wear a potato sack.

“Yes, don’t fancy this color at all.”

“Fancy this: You’re not you, so shut it and strip.” Moody turned to Harry. “You’ll need to change too, Potter.” Harry, a bit self-consciously, begins to strip down. The others, meanwhile, appear unconcerned to be exposing Harry’s body.

Fleur looked horrified at what was going on. “Bill, look away. I’m ‘ideous.”

“I knew Ginny was lying about that tattoo.” Ron exclaimed with a smirk.

Hermione went to walk by me but was wobbling a bit. “Harry, your eyesight really is awful.”

“Blimey. I almost forgot.” Mad-Eye rummaged in his pocket, pulls out a fistful of glasses to pass out. “Right then. We’ll be pairing off. Each Potter will have a protector. As for you, Harry...”

Everyone turned to look at Moody to reply. “Yes?”

“The real Harry! Where the devil are you, anyway?”

I pointed to him as he came forward. “Here.”

Moody’s eye rotated onto the real Harry. “You’ll ride with Hagrid.”

“Brought yeh here sixteen years ago when you were barely bigger than a Bowtruckle. Seems only righ’ I should be the one ter take yeh away.”

“Yeah, it’s all very touching. Beyer! I need you to trail behind the real Harry and Fleur and Bill so as to keep an eye on him as well as NOT give him away. I’m trusting you with this! Let’s go.” You trusting me? Mad-Eye was one of the Auror’s to take my parent’s down and he has no qualms about letting me know that he would do the same to me if I tried anything funny. I had to keep from rolling my eyes again. Did no one trust me just because of my last name? As they file out, Harry snapped open the wire door and Hedwig fluttered out, swooping down the hallway and soaring out the open door. Harry glanced once more down the hall, at the cupboard under the stairs, then exits with me by his side.

“You ready for this Harry?” I asked him quietly. He seemed a little more pale than usual so I thought I could try and comfort him.

“Not really no. How are you though? Leaving your family couldn’t have been easy. Thank you. For coming with us, I mean.” I smiled sadly at him.

“For you guys I would do anything.” I grabbed his hand quickly before quickly mounting my broom. The other six Harry’s sit upon thestrals and brooms. Hagrid sits astride a motorbike, goggles on. I thought it would seem a little obvious that Harry go with Hagrid but Moody seemed to know what he was doing. I just hopped this wouldn’t be a blood bath.

As the real Harry appeared, Hagrid tapped the sidecar and Harry drops in. “Good luck, everyone. On the count of three. One... two--.” Hagrid kicks the motorbike to life, lurches forward. Hedwig swooped upward and beats toward the greasy moon.

I kicked up off the ground and quickly zipped across the sky smoothly and quietly. The moment I reached the clouds I knew someone wouldn’t be making it out alive.

They were on us the instant we left Privet Drive.

I saw three Death Eaters fly my way and I grinned. Revenge for everything.

Let’s get this party started.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys liked this! I'm working on Chapter 3 now so hopefully I'll have it out before noon Eastern time here in the U.S.. :)