The Sinner and the Traitor

Face to Face with Death

Death Eaters were dropping from the clouds, surround the others. Flashes of green light splintered the darkness. I shot back my own curses and other spells to disarm them but there was too many of them, and sadly even I knew this wasn’t really half of his followers. Sparks explode on the bike’s chassis and Hagrid howled in fury. I dipped my broom below the Death Eater and shot up from underneath him knocking him off his broom while he was preoccupied with casting curses at everyone. I went back to following behind Hagrid.

“Hagrid! We’ve got to help the others!” Harry yelled at him to be heard over the wind.

“Can’t do it, ‘arry. My job’s ter get you where we’re goin’ safe ‘n sound. Mad-Eye’s orders!” Before Harry could reply, four Death Eaters jet out of the darkness, robes snapping in the wind behind us. I saw Hagrid glance at me in the side mirror and I nodded understanding. I soared up higher to get out of the way. As one of them raised their wands Hagrid slammed his hand onto a purple button. With an ear shattering blast, the motorbike quivered and flames belch from the exhaust pipe. The Death Eaters screamed as their robes were on fire, and pin wheeled away, freefalling towards the earth.

“What was that?” Harry asked in utter awe as I dropped down onto the motorbike and held on, but just barely.

“Dragon fire! That was was bloody brilliant mate!” I yelled over the wind with a giant smile on my face. Before he could reply back however more Death Eaters swoop from the sky, give us chase. Hagrid dives, plummeting for the ground, trying desperately to shake them causing me to have to jump off the motorbike and back onto my broom hoping I didn’t fall to my death. They slammed onto the asphalt and wobbles wildly as Hagrid roars into a tunnel with the Death Eaters still in pursuit. I had managed to stay on my broom but now I was behind them quickly trying to catch up. Being seen by the muggles was now completely out of the question. Hagrid leaned wildly from side to side, eluding the flashes of light from the Death Eaters’ wands as I raised my wand and shot a few of my own at the annoying tail we seemed to have.

Sparks skitter off the tunnel and shower down as the sidecar rides up into the air repeatedly, then slams down onto the roadway. Harry glanced back and sees the Death Eaters closing in. I saw them racing towards the oncoming headlights from the cars and knew I had to act quickly. Hagrid steered the motorbike directly into them, then past them, and then up the rounded side of the tunnel. What the hell was he doing? The motorbike loops-the-loop and Harry dangles briefly. I raised my wand and shot out a spell that set them back the right way on the road to keep Harry from becoming a magical piñata. Two of the Death Eaters slammed into the oncoming cars and I felt no remorse. So long as it wasn’t my brother I was okay. I knew he wasn’t out here because I would recognize his thick brown mane hanging out of his cloak and his broad shoulders that he inherited from our father.
Hagrid shot out of the tunnel and soared back into the starry sky. They started to soar higher and higher into the air. I felt a wave of confusion wash over me as the sound of crackling electricity filled the night sky.

“Well, shit.” I muttered as massive electrical pylons appeared before us in the darkness. This would be a very shocking experience. As Hagrid weaves through the towers, a gang of Death Eaters jet into view and I still hadn’t really caught up to them. Harry fires a volley of Stunning Spells, sending a pair of Death Eaters into the sizzling wires where they dangle briefly, spasming, before plummeting into the darkness. I hooted in approval as Harry fires again and watches two others take evasive measures unaware of the Death Eater closing in from behind. Finally he turned as I picked up the pass and started to near them. The Death Eater grinned, wand twitching, when Hedwig swooped down, flaying the Death Eater’s wand hand. I grinned triumphantly when a mad volley of green wand blasts ricochet off the motorbike and then Hedwig was just…gone. I felt a pang in my chest for Harry as he glanced about desperately for his feathered friend. If that had be Aphrodite-.

“That’s him! The real one!” Well son of a bitch! One of the Death Eaters shot a curse towards me. I managed to dodge it somewhat but it hit my arm. I screamed in pain as a bunch of gashes seemed to appear on it like someone was taking a sword and just slicing it against my skin. I looked to that Death Eater with tears in my eyes from the pain only to realize I knew who it was.

“Snape?” But he didn’t hear me because he had stopped following us and the remaining Death Eaters fell back and disappeared.

“Hol’ tight, ‘arry! We’ve got ter get yeh out of here!” Hagrid hits the purple button again and the motorbike rockets forth.

I finally got just a tad bit closer before I knew I would be heard over the roaring of the wind. I felt everything around us go still and the dread seemed to seep from the sky. “Hagrid, hurry! He’s here!”
I don’t think they even heard me before Harry gazed bleakly behind towards me. He then winces, eyes rolling back in his head. Shit, shit, fuckidity shit! I didn’t stand a chance against Voldemort as much as Harry did but I knew I had to protect him at all costs. Gripping his scar, he squinted toward the horizon and sees something closing on us. It looked like smoke but then begins to take shape.

Voldemort. Flying.

Slowly, Harry raises his wand. “Hagrid!” Harry lets out a primal scream, his eyes clenched shut in pain, his wand hand trembling as he points it blindly. Voldemort’s snake-like face draws near, his wand trained on Harry. And then Harry’s arm goes slack, his wand dropping.

“Avada-!”

“No!” My shrill scream pierced the air as I raised my own wand fire off at the one wizard that could strike fear into anyone. If I went down with him tonight then so be it. At least they would tell stories of me being a heroine. Right?

Abruptly, Harry’s arm rises once more as if on a string, drawn up by the wand trembling in his hand. Gold fire spits forth connecting with the green light emitting from his wand causing the wand he was using to splinter into smithereens.

Crack!

Sparks skitter up the chassis of the motorbike. Harry wheels and, for a split second, is face to face with Voldemort, whose eyes drift, staring with something almost like fear at Harry’s wand. He yelled in anger and defeat before he pulled backwards away from us and then evaporating like smoke. Just then the motorbike’s engine hiccups and Hagrid and Harry begin to drop. I cast a spell causing them to just go a tad bit faster because I suddenly knew where we were as we went through a spell barrier surrounding the land.

The Weasley’s Burrow.

The motorbike splashed down into the reeds, sputtering, then cuts out altogether in a smoking hiss. I dropped out of the sky in a hurry, exhausted but in one piece.

“Harry!” I yelled out as I ran forward on jelly like legs. He was standing up slowly as I flung myself into his arms giving him a hug. I thought I had lost my best friend there for a moment.

He hugged me back before letting go. “Are you okay?”

“Am I okay? Really? You just came face to face with the Dark Lord and youre asking if I’m okay? God bless you Potter.” I asked wiping a tear from my eye. He smiled sadly before glancing about. A door opened in a crooked house and two silhouettes appear and dash forward. I looked over at Mrs. Weasley and Ginny as they rushed over.

“Harry! Hagrid!” She paused as she looked at me. “Vanessa? What on Earth happened?! Have you seen the others?”

“Is no one back yet?” I asked worriedly as Harry looks from Mrs. Weasley to Ginny. Ginny shakes her head.

“They were on us from the star’, Molly, the Death Eaters. And You-Know-Who as well.” Molly Weasley’s face betrays panic, but she fights it back. I also noticed she glanced at me, almost like it was my fault. I felt my face redden. I was always welcomed into their home in the past but after Voldemort came back it was like everyone was on edge and waiting for me to follow in my family’s footsteps. I looked away embarrassed. Sirius and I used to write each other when he was alive because he was the only other person who knew how I felt. He had been in the same boat as me. When Lily and James had died everyone was quick to point at him even though they had all been best friends just because of who his family was. I was starting to think history was repeating itself but instead of it being Sirius, it was me.

“Well, thank goodness you three are all right.” Mrs. Weasley said with a smile towards the guys mostly. I sighed quietly. This was going to be a long journey.

“Haven’t go’ any brandy, have yeh, Molly? Fer medicinal purposes?” Hagrid nodded at my arm which was dripping blood. I had almost completely forgotten about that. She nods, leading him toward the house. Once out of earshot, Harry turned expectantly to Ginny. She looked frightened.

“Ron and Tonks should’ve already been back. Dad and Fred as well.” She explained as I felt the blood drain from my face. Suddenly, several yards away, a blue light burns in the darkness. Harry and Ginny rush towards it with me just slowly following behind just as Lupin materialized, cradling an unconscious “Harry,” clothes torn, head awash in blood. Harry took in the surreal tableau, then watches “himself” transform into George, who bears the true damage. My good hand flew to my mouth in shock as Ginny’s hands fly to her face. “Oh my God! George!”

“The house! Quickly!” Lupin yelled at us and everyone took off. I watched them go ahead of me before I looked back towards the night sky from where we all just came. Again I was wondering if I made the right choice. I missed my brother but I knew I couldn’t risk contacting him. I was already sure to be labeled a traitor that needed to be taken out but he at least still stood a chance at living. If Auror’s or someone else didn’t kill him first. I seriously wished my family could be normal just for once. I turned away and ran after everyone.

Lupin and Harry dropped George onto the sofa, where his head rolls into the lamplight, the blood more shocking now. Molly Weasley screamed and everyone made some sort of noise in shock. George’s ear was gone.

“My boy! My darling boy! What’ve they done to you?!” Harry looked on miserably and I grabbed his hand with my bloody one. I could see the anger and guilt clashing within him. Lupin suddenly grabbed a fistful of his shirt and hurled him against the wall.

“Remus! What’re you doing!” Ginny screamed. I was just as shocked but then I knew what he was doing since I was sadly the fist one he did it to.

“What creature sat in the corner the first time that Harry Potter visited my office at Hogwarts!”

“Are you mad...?”

“WHAT CREATURE!” I flinched at his tone. He was truly pissed and threatening.

“A grindylow!” Lupin released Harry, turns back to the others before stopping to look at me.

“You are NOT shoving your wand in my face again! I swear I’ll snap it.” I growled at him. I was getting tired of everyone giving me ‘the look’.

“We’ve been betrayed. Voldemort knew you were being moved tonight. I had to make sure you weren’t an imposter. Vanessa, how did you know we were moving him tonight?”

“My brother had a meeting at the house and I heard something about this Saturday. I figured they were moving in on him which was why you were moving him. Besides, just ask the right people and you can find anyone.” I explained. “I had found out the general area of where he lived and I set off a searching spell which led me to his door. I wanted to help.”

“Oh, I’m sure you did. What else aren’t you telling us?” Lupin asked taking a set towards me. I refused to back down.

“Lupin. You know me. I don’t need to explain myself to you. I didn’t do anything. If I knew anything else I would have told you. I’m hurt just like George thank you very much! You can thank Snape for this one!” I held up my sliced up arm and Lupin flinched. I grabbed my wand and started to slowly and painfully heal my arm as best as I could.

“Who did this to him?” Harry asked regarding George.

“Snape.” Lupin said looking at me still before nodding to George. “He’ll be fine, Molly. But that’s Dark Magic. The damage is done.” She simply nods, weeping, dabbing at George’s face. A blue glow glimmers against the window, where Hagrid stands.

“Someone else is back.” He said looking out the window.

We all rushed outside where Hermione and Kingsley stand together, looking shaken. As the others rush forward, Kingsley points his wand at Lupin. Jesus if these were muggle guns someone would have been shot already! “The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?”

“‘Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him.’” Lupin answered. Shacklebolt lowered his wand and wheels on Harry. “What gave you away?”

“Hedwig, I think. She was trying to protect me-.” Just then, the yard glows with the same blue light and one pair after another materialize: Fred & Mr. Weasley, Bill & Fleur, Ron & Tonks. Ron is still “Harry,” but Hermione doesn’t hesitate, enveloping him in a fierce hug. As he transforms back into his own battle-weary self, he looks mildly abashed to be in such close proximity to Hermione.

“Hey ya. Well... thanks.”

“Deserves that. Brilliant, he was. Wouldn’t be standing here without him.” Tonks said with a smile as she hugged onto Remus as well.

“Really?” Hermione asked shocked.

Ron started breaking free of her. “Always the tone of surprise.”

“Are we the last? Where’s George?” Arthur asked looking around. Suddenly... silence. Mr. Weasley eyes all before turning to Lupin. “Remus. Where’s my son?”

I knew George was alive but his worried fatherly tone tore at my heart. That was a true father right there and I wished mine cared even half as much as Arthur did for his children.

Everyone led one another inside and Arthur Weasley, trailed by the others, stopping dead. Molly looked up from the couch, her face saying it all. Fred comes up on his father’s shoulder, eyes stinging with tears as he sees his brother.

As if sensing them, George stirred. Fred looked at his brother sadly as he knelt by him. “How do you feel, Georgie?”

“Saint-like.” He muttered.

“Come again?” George opened his eyes, lifts a blood-crusted finger, and points to the dark cavity in the side of his skull.

“Saint-like... You see, I’m holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?” I had to wipe a tear away and hold back a giggle. Somethings would never change that was for sure.

“With the whole wide world of ear- related humor at your disposal, you go for holey? Pathetic.” Fred said with a smile.

“Reckon I’m still better-looking than you. Better-looking than Bill, that’s for sure.” Bill doesn’t smile. Next to him, Fleur looks equally grim.

“Mad-Eye’s dead.” Bill said softly. The room goes still. “Mundungus took one look at Voldemort and Disapparated.”

“Mad-Eye reckoned You-Know-Who would expect the real Harry to be with the most skilled Auror. He knew he’d be in the most danger.” I said looking around the room. I thought they would know the real Harry would be with Hagrid of all people. And they said that Death Eaters were supposed to be smart.

“It doesn’t explain how they knew we were moving Harry tonight.” The room grows quiet. Eyes shift.

“Wha’? One of us? Tha’s mad. I’d wager me life it wasn’ none of you lot. Even Vanessa wouldn’t say nothin’. An’ if it was me I’d kno’, wouldn’ I? Talk in me sleep on occasion, I’ll admit, but there’s only Fang aroun’ ter hear an’ mostly it’s gibberish an’ besides I’d cut me tongue out ‘fore ‘d betray ‘arry e’en in me dreams-.” Hagrid stops, blinking miserably. Suddenly, everyone just smiled in spite of the dark mood. “Wha’s so funny!”

“I trust you with my life, Hagrid. I trust everyone in this room. Understood?” He looked pointedly at Lupin and Molly before smiling at me. I smiled gratefully in return. At least he believed I had nothing to do with it.

“Understood.” Lupin said with a grim smile.

“‘Ear, ‘ear.” George cheered and I couldn’t help it anymore. I busted out laughing as Fred nods approvingly to his brother.

“Better.” Fred said with a grin at his twin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy! Chapter 4 to be published soon. Hopefully lol. Enjoy!!