The Sinner and the Traitor

The Wedding

The wedding party was in full swing as I danced happily along with Fred to the live band playing. I think they were some of the Weasley’s relatives but I didn’t know for sure. My form fitting green dress was keeping me from really breathing too much so eventually I had to step back and motion for him to go on without me. My hair had been straightened and its true long length was really revealed. My hair was so thick and wavy that when I was finished straightening it, it was almost to my butt. I felt pretty tonight which was a first in forever.

Just before my fourth year my figure started to fill out and people, mostly boys, started to take notice of me. I had always been given compliments but that year it was like there was something in the water. I started having to sneak to classes under the invisibility cloak because I couldn’t go 2 feet without some Slyerthin insulting me in one breath and then leering at me like I was a piece of meat in the next minute, the Ravenclaws tried to wow me with their intellect but even I, like Hermione, were far more advanced than they were. The Hufflepuff brought new meaning to killing someone with kindness. I wanted to strangle all of them within a week of school starting and the Gryffindor’s, well they knew better than to openly try to get my affection. I knew too much about all of them that I was more than willing to embarrass them in front of everyone if they tried something. It was in that time also I had a thing for Harry’s Godfather, Sirius Black. Don’t ask. I was going through some weird phase that ended as quickly as it began. Well, more like Sirius said I was gorgeous no doubt but that I was beyond too young and he just wasn’t interested.

Um, ouch?

Regardless though he was there for me when I needed it most. Once Voldemort rose back up everyone was back to eyeing me with distrust and even openly verbally or physically attacking me in the hallways of Hogwarts. It was in that time Dumbledore started taking me under his wing more to help me out. That summer Silas was gone most of the time, coming and going at all hours, and when Draco and I really started to get closer. I frowned at the thought of Draco. He betrayed my trust this past year in more ways than one and I could never forgive him. It was why he wrote in his short letter he knew I was mad at him.

I shook my head to clear the thoughts as my heart started to ache. No. There would no thoughts of that fool tonight. Tonight was about the wedding and having fun. I found Harry to the side of all the dancing, watching it all unfold in dress robes, standing on the periphery, absently fingering the snitch as Bill and Fleur twirl madly within a clapping circle of well-wishers. I watched as Harry’s gaze drifts to Ginny, who was laughing as Fred and George rush the dance floor, briefly sweeping Fleur away from Bill, then begin to dance with each other. There was a faint smile to his lips as he then shifted over to Hermione, who looked stunning in black silk I had to add. Then to Ron, who ignored all, his eyes focused entirely on Hermione. I often asked myself if they would ever go out. Maybe when Hell froze over but who knew? No one ever expected me to date Draco but that happened as well. I looked away from Harry as he surveyed the room to far across the garden at Hagrid who was wending through the tables in his horrible hairy suit and presented a slice of cake to a pleased Olympe Maxime.

Nearby, Tonks has her hand to her belly and leans forward and whispers something to Mrs. Weasley, who reacts with happy surprise. I felt my eyes widen in shock at the realization that she was pregnant! And with Lupins baby! I wonder how that worked out? Will the baby be human or part wolf? I shrugged to myself. Who cares as long as they’re happy.

Harry must have seen the same thing because he begins to study Tonks’ belly before looking at me in question. “We want you to be the godfather.”

Harry and both jump in surprise as he turns to Lupin standing behind us. Lupin was staring at Tonks with such affection that I felt myself wishing that I had someone to love me like that. Someone who didn’t lie, cheat, and attempt to murder the Headmaster of our school. As his eyes shift to Harry, Harry began to sputter.

“You mean -- But that’s brilliant -- I... don’t know what to say.”

“Say yes.” I looked at Harry like he was dumb but he ignored my tone and started smiling and gave a quick nod. Lupin grins and claps Harry on the shoulder and hikes off into the darkness, joining the wizards standing guard in the garden’s deepest shadows.

“That’s him!” I looked at Harry wondering what he was talking about.

“That’s who?” I followed his gaze and noticed a slight tufty-haired wizard sitting alone at a table just behind Tonks.

“Elphias Doge.” He muttered before walking away. I went to go grab him but missed and just pretended I was swatting at a fly so as to not look like I was worried about something involving Harry. Who the bloody hell was Elphias Doge?

I started following after him when he was cut off midstride by Luna Lovegood. I smiled at our odd but lovely friend. “Hello, Harry! Hello, Vanessa!”

I noticed she wasn’t alone and eyed the stranger before realizing it was her just as odd slightly cross-eyed father Xenophilius Lovegood. He had shoulder-length white hair the texture of candy floss and both were wearing robes the color of egg yolk. What an interesting choice of color.

“Oh, I’ve interrupted a deep thought, haven’t I? I can see it growing smaller in your eyes.” Luna said softly and almost in a dream like state.

“No, ‘course not. How are you, Luna?”

“Very well. I was bitten by a garden gnome only moments ago.” She held up her finger, which is sheathed in blood. I winced at the sight and took out my wand to heal it before her father stopped me in a rush of waving hands. I took a step back and eyed him like he was crazy.

“No no no! Gnome saliva is enormously beneficial! Xenophilius Lovegood. We live just over the hill!” He put out his hand for us to shake but I was still eying him with suspicious. Men like this were easy targets for the Death Eaters, they believed everything they heard and where easily manipulated.

Harry shook his hand. “Nice to meet you, sir.”

He suddenly leans close and whispers fiercely. “I trust you know, Mr. Potter, that we at The Quibbler, unlike those toadies at the Daily Prophet, fully supported Dumbledore during his lifetime and in his death support you just as fully.”

What. The. Hell. “Come, Daddy. Harry doesn’t want to talk to us right now. He’s just too nice to say so.” Her father’s eyes burn with righteousness and suddenly a triangular eye started dangling from a chain around his neck. It caught my attention quickly because I felt like I should have known what it was but honestly I was drawing a blank. I actually wanted it still. As Luna pulls him away, Harry glanced once again across the garden so I started pulling him across once more.

When we reached the wizard I thought Harry was going to freeze. He was sitting alone, smiling absently as he observes the happy going-on. Harry couldn’t speak so I started it off. “Sir? May we sit down with you?

I thought the man would say no for a moment as his eyes laid down on me. I knew he recognized me because his plain brown eyes widened in fright. I was told I looked like my mother often and I didn’t review that as a compliment. “Mr. Potter! Miss. Beyer. By all means!”

In a nervous flutter, Doge pours Harry a goblet of champagne and when he went to give me some I declined. With everything going on I knew a clear head was needed. Harry finally spoke up.
“I found what you wrote in the Daily Prophet very moving, sir. I take it you knew Professor Dumbledore well?”

“I certainly knew him the longest, if you don’t count his brother Aberforth -- and somehow, people never do seem to count Aberforth.” Who?

“I never even knew he had a brother, sir.” I said looking at him with my eyebrow raised. Dumbledore never spoke of a sibling.

“Yes, well, Dumbledore was always very private. Even as a boy.”

This wasn’t anything new but the fact he never said anything about a brother concerned me.

“Sir, I was wondering if you’d had much contact with him before he died.” Harry asked. I noticed he was twisting a napkin between his hands and I grabbed them giving them a squeeze in support.

“The occasional owl. Though it was strange...”

“Strange, sir?”

“It was the owls themselves. They often arrived in distress. It was clear they’d traveled great distances in some cases.” Mr. Doge said and I saw his eyes become distant as he recalled the memory.

“Could you tell me from where they’d come, sir?”

“I’m afraid not. Albus’ messages mostly referenced our days together as schoolboys. They were surprisingly intimate. When he did speak of his current activities his words would turn elliptical. Still, I sensed he was under great stress. Why do you ask?” He asked becoming suspicious and he turned to eye me and I felt my face turn red.

“Just curious. I was... close to Professor Dumbledore.” Harry said drawing the older man’s eyes away from me. I was sure Harry sensed my discomfort.

He turned to Harry with a questioning gaze. “Well, he treasured you, Mr. Potter, I can attest to that. I can also tell you that when a person passes, it’s only natural to rue the things left unsaid, to regret the question never asked. I knew Albus nigh on 100 years, but in many ways he will always remain a riddle even to me.”

Suddenly a woman spoke up causing me to swivel around and watch her in surprise. Had she been eavesdropping the whole time? “Don’t despair, Elphias. I’m told he’s been thoroughly unriddled by Rita Skeeter. In 800 pages no less.”

Harry and Doge turn, study the profile of an ancient witch sitting at an adjacent table, a glass of champagne cradled in the bony fingers of one hand. “That woman is a vulture, Muriel, and you well know it.”

“Someone has to pick the bones to get at the truth. I read your obituary, Elphias. Lovely. But you did skate over some of the sticky patches in Dumbledore’s life.”

I didn’t like this woman already. “I’m sorry you think so, Muriel. I assure you I was writing from the heart.”

“Yes, well, Rita Skeeter hasn’t made that mistake, I’m sure. Word has it someone talked to her, someone who knew the Dumbledore family well. You and I both know who that is, Elphias.”

“A monstrous betrayal. I can only conclude the rumors are true and that she has become untethered.”

Harry was becoming annoyed very easily. “Who are you talking about?”

“Well, I don’t suppose it’ll be a secret once the book comes out.” I could tell she was relishing the moment. “Bathilda Bagshot.”

“Who?” I asked confused.

She looked at me like I was a mindless prat. “Who? Bathilda Bagshot! My god, girl, she’s only the most celebrated magical historian of the last century. Don’t they read History of Magic at Hogwarts anymore?”

I felt myself frown at the woman in disgust. Sorry I didn’t remember the woman who wrote a book over a century ago. “Oh, right. Slipped my mind.”

“She knew the Dumbledore’s as well as anyone. She’d have letters, perhaps an interesting photograph or two. I’m sure Rita Skeeter would have thought it well worth a trip to Godric’s Hollow to take a peek into that old bird’s rattled cage.”

At that my ears perked up like a dogs. I knew Harry caught on as well. “Godric’s Hollow? Bathilda Bagshot lives in Godric’s Hollow?”

“For years now. That’s where she first met Dumbledore.”

“Excuse me? You don’t mean to say Dumbledore lived there too?” Harry asked her like she maybe made a mistake.

“Of course. The family moved there after his father killed those three Muggles. It was quite the scandal.” She began eyeing him. “Honestly, my boy, are you sure you knew him at all?” Harry sits, speechless before I had to look away because something catches my eye. Maybe a shooting star, or what appears to be one at least? As it plummets, I realize it was growing and gaining speed until it sliced through the canopy, exploding in a burst of light. I jumped up from my chair in horror and shock. All goes silent as a silver lynx, graceful and gleaming, materializes amid the crowd. A patronus, much like the one I sent the night before. When it speaks, the Patronus has Shacklebolt’s sonorous voice. I could feel my heart race faster and the blood rush away from my face. This could only mean one thing.

“The Ministry has fallen. The Minister of Magic is dead. They are coming...” The lynx vanished and a scream shreds the silence. I grabbed Harry’s arm and tried to pull him away but he fought me.

Chaos began.

“Nice meeting you, Mr. Potter! Miss. Beyer.” Doge extends his hand toward Harry and I when suddenly, CRACK! He disapparated.

It took maybe 3 seconds later before the ancient witch has done the same. Harry and I scan the room in a panic as the crowd scatters and he meets Ginny’s eyes. Hermione and I lock eyes and we both nod. Harry pelts toward her, bouncing between bodies, and losing sight of her but I was pulling him away from all of them trying to get to Hermione. We needed to leave. Now!

Suddenly the canopy above us turns to ribbons as Death Eaters in dark cloaks and masks descend into the crowd. One of them appeared before me and I could only stare in fear before I recognized the same green eyes. He could only stare at me in something like disbelief before he quickly turned away from us like he didn’t realize who was before him.

Silas.

Arthur, Fred and George wield their wands as I watch a flower fall from Fleur’s hair and it quickly becomes crushed underfoot. Her wedding was ruined. I felt a pang in my heart as I continued to push Harry away. Harry was fighting me tooth and nail to get to Ginny and I was near tears trying to save his dumb arse from certain death. Lupin quickly crashes in, spinning Harry roughly round and helping me.

“Harry! Vanessa! Go! Go!” A hand reached for me and I knew instantly who’s it was. Hermione was clutching Ron’s hand with her other one. She closed her eyes and a great whooshing sound fills my ears. I watched my brother disappear before my eyes and I had to close mine to make sure I didn’t start crying. I never in a million years thought I would be running from my own flesh and blood. Suddenly a horn was blaring and Harry was yanking me out of the way into a hug that I so desperately needed. I held back a sob as my face was against his shoulder wishing beyond everything that my brother was on our side. I was sure him ignoring us would cost him greatly if anyone saw. I missed Silas. He may have been a Death Eater but he was my brother. The guy who gave me advice. The guy who would die for me in a moments notice.

A double decker bus careens within inches of us as we stumble in the streets teeming with drunken pub crawlers. I had to wipe my tears away before we drew too much attention. Where were we?

“Where are we?” Ron asked for all of us.

“Shaftesbury Avenue. I used to come here to the theater with my mum and dad. Just popped into my head. I don’t know why.” She grabbed my hand to drag me and I quickly latched onto Harry who grabbed Ron. We hurry on as fast as we could constantly glancing over our shoulders at the dark shapes that move within the crowd behind us. Strangers bumping by and faces passing in a paranoiac blur. A drunken man grabbed for me but Ron swatted his hand away and a cackling woman with blood red lipstick started laughing at us.

“This way!” Hermione said with a bit of encouragement. As we take refuge in the shadows, Hermione begins to rummage through her tiny beaded purse. “We need to change.”

I knew instantly what she had done because I had done it not a week before her. Ron and Harry look at each other’s dress robes. From the purse, Hermione extracts in a quick succession two pairs of jeans, T-shirts, and a pair of light overcoats.

“How the ruddy-.” Ron began before I cut him off.

“Undetectable Extension Charm. Brilliant Hermione.”

“You’re amazing, you are.” Ron said looking at her in awe.

“Always the tone of surprise.” As she gives the bag a shake, there is loud echoing of heavy objects, as if something has fallen. “That’ll be the books.”

“Of course.” I give a dark chuckle.

Everyone quickly changed into regular clothes and we made our way into a shabby coffee shop. It was greasy and empty which was what we really needed to think. We slid into a booth before anyone spoke.

“Do you reckon everyone’s alright at the wedding? Maybe we should-.” Harry started before Ron threw up his hands to stop him.

“They were after you, mate. We’d just put everyone in danger going back.”

“Ron’s right. Cappuccino, please.” A gum-chewing waitress suddenly appeared behind me causing me to jump. Ron, clueless when it comes to cappuccinos, nods to Hermione.

“What she said.”

“Same.” Harry said.

“I’ll have a French vanilla with 3 extra shots of espresso please.” I said rubbing my eyes. I needed to relax otherwise I was going to accidently kill someone with my wand.

“Wicked scar.” The waitress exclaimed to Harry as she walked away to fill our orders.

Ron watched her as she exits. “So where do we go from here? The Leaky Cauldron?”

“Too dangerous. If He’s taken over the Ministry, none of the old places are safe.” I replied quicly remembering a conversation at one of the meetings. My head turned quickly at the sound of the front door squealing open and two workmen enter, glance idly at us and stepping up to the counter. I couldn’t really see their faces due to their hats, but I felt a tug at my memory.

”My rucksack. With all my things. I left it back at the Burrow.” Hermione began shaking her head. Harry eyes the beaded purse. “You’re joking.”

“I’ve had the essentials packed for days. Just in case.” She had most of my stuff packed in there as well. I missed my owl but I knew she was safe back at the Burrow. I just hoped I would make it back to see her.

“By the way these jeans? Not my favorite. Bit tight.” Hermione gives Ron a withering glance. Harry can’t help but smile but I still had my eyes on the workmen. Then my eyes shift to the small security mirror near the ceiling and I see the two workmen turning. It was then I realized who they were.

“DOWN!” I screamed before hitting the dirty floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy! Flashback next chapter!