Sleep Now

Heart of Mine

Jack sighed as he watched Alex sleep peacefully beside him. It wasn’t fair. Why couldn’t he fall asleep without a problem? Why did he always have to be the one to lie awake at ungodly hours of the night?

As Alex let out a mumble, seemingly agreeing with Jack’s inner monologue, the elder sighed again. Maybe he was just thinking too much. His day had been pretty busy. Maybe that was his problem; maybe he just couldn’t stop thinking about it on a subconscious level or some other Freud bullshit like that.

He just needed to relax and not think about anything.

Jack must’ve stared at the ceiling for at least twenty minutes before he growled and rolled over onto his side. After allowing his gaze to sweep over his partner’s features through the darkened room, he sighed again and moved across the bed to huddle against the younger. Alex, upon feeling the warmth his boyfriend’s body offered, turned onto his side and snuggled into Jack’s chest.

He pulled the younger boy closer so that Alex was more or less laying directly on top of him than anything. Most people would find that too constricting, but not Jack. As long as Alex was comfortable, he would be more than glad to act as a replacement pillow.

Jack’s thoughts began to drift as he lay there, Alex pressed against him. The sound of soft breathing in his ear was enough to start to lull him into his own gentle sleep. To help speed along the process, his fingers began to swirl aimless shapes along Alex’s arm.

It was only when he drew a heart against the smooth skin on Alex’s wrist did he start in confusion.

“Babe?” he asked quietly as he craned his neck away to see if he’d woken his boyfriend up. Alex still looked to be asleep, but Jack was more than certain that he’d heard his name being said.

He settled back against the sheets and resumed his pointless drawing when he got no answer. As another invisible heart was imprinted on Alex’s skin, the same thing happened again. It was a breathy, “Jack,” but he was more than sure he’d heard it.

It was a bit of a struggle, pushing Alex away, and then Jack began to stare again. Maybe Alex was pulling a prank on him. Only, after three minutes of nothing but light snores hitting Jack’s ears, he realized that, yes, his boyfriend was still very much asleep.

Careful fingers crept out to sweep more patterns along Alex’s bare arms as Jack watched to make sure he wasn’t being fooled.

Nothing happened. For five minutes, pointless swirls and squiggles were brushed along Alex’s skin. Jack was confused until he stopped and thought about what he’d been doing to cause his name to be said. When it all clicked, he was letting the tip of his pointer finger trace another heart onto Alex’s bicep.

Just as he’d predicted, his name fell from parted lips on a sigh. Jack grinned wickedly as heart after heart was placed onto his boyfriend’s unconscious body.

He didn’t understand what was happening to cause it, but he did know that he was going to have fun with it in the morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
just a quick little drabble. it's supposed to only be 500 words, but i went a little over that and wasn't sure what i could take out to bring down the word count. oh well. enjoy!