Remember Me

tvÄ

november 30, 2014


Mackenzie sat in the passenger seat of Patrick Kane's car, irritated to no end. The Blackhawks had just gotten home from a road trip and Mack had taken Jon's car to the arena to pick him up. She was beyond excited to see her boyfriend. She'd been stressed during his absence over her upcoming album and her entire support system was on a West coast road trip. However, when the team finally arrived back, Mack had laid eyes on Jonathan for a mere thirty seconds where he kissed her hello and told her he had a meeting to attend to before he came home and took his car keys. And now she was in Patrick Kane's car.

"Don't be so glum, Mack," Pat said. "The meeting will probably last like an hour. We had a good road trip. They probably just wanna talk about how to keep the success going."

Mackenzie pouted. "I haven't seen the man in two weeks and all I got was a kiss and a 'Go home with Kaner.'"

Patrick scoffed, "Jeez, don't sound so excited about my presence."

Mackenzie laughed. "Shush, you know I love you. I've just missed Jon is all."

"He wasn't blowing you off, MJ. I had to listen to him whine about you for two weeks. He missed you so shut it." Mackenzie smiled and looked out the window as Pat waited for his light to turn green.

"Hey, how's Harper?" Pat asked as he moved into the intersection.

Mackenzie didn't get a chance to answer. A box truck blew its red light, slamming into Patrick Kane's car, sliding it across the intersection.

The crunch of metal could be heard from blocks away.

><

Jonathan Toews finally pulled onto his street, relieved as his house came into view. All he wanted to do was get in bed with Mackenzie and never leave it. While the team's road trip went extremely well, he was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to be home with his girlfriend. He noticed all the lights were off and assumed Mack went to bed without him. Knowing her, she was probably upset that he'd had that meeting.

He put the key in the door and entered his home, dropping his bags and running up the stairs two at a time until he reached his bedroom. He opened the door smiling until he realized his girlfriend was not in bed.

"Mackenzie?" he called out. No answer.

He called her cell phone. The number you've dialled cannot be reached at this time.

Maybe Kaner had taken her for food or something. He dialled his friend's phone. No answer.

"What the hell?"

Jonathan walked downstairs and out the door, walking two blocks west to the house Mackenzie insisted on keeping. He used the key she'd given him to enter the unused home. He walked downstairs to her studio, thinking maybe she came here to work. Empty. Jon was so confused. He left Mack's old house, locking the door. He tried their cell phones each once more, sitting on her front steps.

His phone began ringing and without looking he answered, assuming it was one of them. "Hello?"

"Hello, can I speak to Jonathan Toews?"

"This is him. Who's speaking?"

"Hi, Mr. Toews. You need to come down to Northwestern Memorial immediately. There's been an accident."

><

Jon raced into the emergency room waiting room, out of breath. Marcus Kruger was sitting with Kaner, who had his head in his hands, crying. Marcus looked up and stood. "Bro..."

Inbetween his tears, Kaner mumbled out, "I'm sorry, Jon. I'm so sorry. They came out of nowhere and hit us." Jon was at a loss for words.

Marcus came closer. "She lost a lot of blood. They've got her in surgery right now." Jon stumbled into the seat next to Patrick and didn't move.

Over the next few hours, tired teammates of Jon and Pat's stumbled into the emergency room, waiting to hear of news of Mackenzie. Pat had a concussion and needed stitches on his face. He'd barely stopped crying since Jon arrived.

Around 3 am, Abby Sharp brought coffee for Jonathan. Jon had no desire to speak, he could barely move. Abby sat down next to him and held his other hand, squeezing, offering the only comfort she could.

><

It wasn't until the sun had started to rise that a doctor finally entered the waiting room, calling Marcus and Jon's names, the only two emergency contacts she had. However, everyone stood, holding their breaths. The doctor nodded.

"We worked on her for hours. She's lost a lot of blood and her pelvis was broken in two spots upon impact," this made Kaner bury his head in his hands again. "Unfortunately, there was some brain damage we believe to be a bit severe. We've induced a coma, for now, to help her heal."

"When will she wake up?" Harper, who had arrived earlier in the night, asked.

The doctor looked upset. "It depends on the healing process. The brain is essential, it needs time to heal. There is really no set timetable right now. We'll continue to monitor her progress and of course, keep you update. For now, you're welcome to see her, but be prepared to see her hooked up to a lot of machines."

Jonathan stood still, trying to process his words. Harper came over, slipping her hand into his, bringing him back to reality. "Hey...breathe."

Everyone came up to Jon, wishing well before heading home. All that remained was him, Harper, Pat, and Marcus. "Should we go in?" Harper asked.

Kaner stood suddenly, walking toward the receptionists. "What room did they put Mackenzie Jakobsson in?"

"Room 430E, floor five." one replied.

Patrick stalked off toward the elevator without looking at anyone. "I guess that's a yes." Harper whispered as they all followed.

><

The only noise that could be heard in room 430E was the constant beep from Mackenzie's machines. The four friends had entered the room and just stared at their loved one. It was unspoken, but Marcus had managed to make sure Mackenzie was put in a private room where no other patient could be added and disrupt them.

There were a few chairs and an extra hospital bed, which they were all glad for, considering they'd all have their share of nights spent here with Mackenzie. Kaner was the first to sit down, right to Mack's left, and grabbed her hand. "This is all my fault." he choked out.

"Stop that," Harper said harshly. "You did nothing wrong. That piece of shit was drunk and ran a red light. He's gonna go to jail for what he fucking did. And I'm not gonna say this again, so fucking stop." Marcus grasped Pat's shoulder lightly, letting him know that she was right.

Jon, who had not spoken in hours, finally looked up. "I should've not gone to that meeting. I should've just taken her home..." He trailed off when he noticed Harper's angry glare. I should've greeted her longer. She hadn't seen me in two weeks. I should've kissed her, hugged her more before I left her.

Should've, should've, should've.

><

Over the next week, Jonathan, Pat, and Harper remained by Mackenzie's bedside. Marcus had to eventually join the team again for practice and their games. Jonathan had tried to, but Coach and the entire team told him to take personal time, he would be doing nobody any good by coming back to play. Patrick remained with Jon, concussed from the accident.

Jonathan knew the doctor said it would take time, and he wanted to stay 100% positive, but he couldn't. He joined the Blackhawks in New Jersey for their short East coast road trip after the 8th day of no Mackenzie. During the game, he could barely focus, but he managed to obtain an assist and even score the winning goal in the shootout.

On the 11th day, the team travelled to Boston. Jonathan had played terrible, but Marcus picked up two assists and so they went on to Long Island with another win in the bag. On the 13th day, Jon had felt like absolute shit and called Kaner to see how she was. Her brain activity had picked up slightly, but nothing yet. They lost that day.

As soon as the plane touched down in Chicago, Jonathan and Marcus raced to the hospital. Harper was there, but Pat had left to sleep because he'd finally been cleared and could play tomorrow. Harper hugged both men before returning to sitting down. Mackenzie looked healthier. She seemed less pale and he assumed maybe it was because she could finally breathe without a tube down her throat. Jon felt better.

The next day, they beat the Flames and Jon had two assists. On the 16th day, the Hawks played Minnesota and beat them 5-3. Jon and Pat had a goal and two assists and Marcus had an assist. When Jonathan was named the first star, he dedicated their performance to his girlfriend.

The boys now had a four-day break and spent all of them at the hospital. The doctor had concluded that Mackenzie would wake out of her coma any day now. Harper had been keeping her company and telling her all about the boy's hockey wins and losses. She'd read that talking to coma patients helps so she wouldn't shut up until Mackenzie woke up. On the 19th day, while Harper was talking, Mack's hand had twitched and Harper started crying.

On the 20th day, before leaving early for Columbus, Jonathan put his Christmas gift to Mackenzie around her neck and gave her a kiss goodbye. He'd be back tomorrow morning.

On the 20th day, Harper came to the hospital later and put the Hawks game on.

On the 20th day, Mackenzie Jakobsson's eyes fluttered open.

On the 20th day, after an 18-round shootout loss, Jonathan unlocked his phone to 30 missed calls. He called Harper back. "Harp? What's wrong?"

"Jon, she's awake. Oh my god, she's fucking awake." Harper sobbed into the phone.
♠ ♠ ♠
woohoooooooooooooooooo