Remember Me

tre

june, 2012


Mackenzie was on her way home, just a block away. As she looked across the street, she noticed a familiar face walking in her direction. "Jon!" The man looked up her, looking relieved.

"Thank god. I came to take you up on your offer when I realized I didn't actually know where you lived." Mack laughed at him, waving him to follow her.

"C'mon, you were so close." He caught up to her fast pace easily, using his long legs for longer strides.

Mackenzie led them up to her front steps, fumbling with her keys to unlock her door. "Do you want coffee or anything? I have beer, too." She offered, as she opened the door.

"Uh, beer is good, yeah." Jon followed her into the kitchen, raking his eyes along the walls, taking in her home.

The corner of his lips perked up when he noticed all the sheet music strewn across her kitchen counter. Mackenzie handed him the cold beer, following his eyes. "Shit, sorry." She mumbled, gathering all the papers together. He sat at a bar stool, watching her and sipping his beer.

Eventually, she peeked up at him during her fumblings to realize he was watching her with a small grin on his face. She felt her face get hot underneath his eyes, "Something funny, Toews?"

He shook his head. "No, no. Continue your nervous cleaning." She dropped all her music in one spot, scoffing slightly. Mackenzie grabbed a beer for herself and leaned against the counter across from him.

"How was your trip home?" Mack asked.

He nodded. "Good, it was nice to be home for a while," Jonathan said, gulping. "But I'm glad to be back in Chicago. I've got some things to take care of here." He made eye contact with the blonde in front of him as he said it, feeling a sudden spark of confidence.

Mackenzie nodded, satisfied with his answer. "How come you don't go home with Kruger?" Mackenzie let a smile grace her face that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"My parents and I don't have a good relationship. I lived with Marcus and his family for my last few years in Sweden. I don't make many trips back."

Jon felt like an asshole now. "Damn...I'm sorry." Mack giggled, looking at his sad face. "Don't be. It's not some deep, dark secret. My entire life is on Wikipedia. I've come to terms with it. Marcus's parents are my family in my eyes," she said. "So quit frowning."

Jonathan finished his beer, glancing around the kitchen.

"So-"

"Do you wanna get dinner sometime this week?" Mackenzie said fast, cutting him off.

Jon stared at her, shocked. He was supposed to ask her out, not the other way around.

"Say yes, please or I'll be forced to hide out in this house in embarrassment until Marcus comes back from Sweden." She grinned at him.

"I'd...yeah, I'd like that." She smiled wide at his answer. Mackenzie walked around the island, grabbing the cell phone in his back pocket, entering her phone number.

Holding it back out, she looked up at him. Mackenzie had legs for days, yet he still towered over her. "I have a busy next few days with my new song dropping, but text me or something." Jon took his phone, letting his fingers graze hers.

"You'll be hearing from me." Mackenzie began leading him back to the front door, opening it for him.

"Aye, aye, Captain."

><

Image

mackenziej_: want you to fuck up my nights #ruinmylifeoutNOW
liked by marcuskruger90, harper_evans, and 96,728 others | 12,496 comments


harper_evans: I needed this photo in my life thank you
marcuskruger90: Mamma sa att du ser fantastisk ut (Mom said you look amazing)

mackenziej_: love u mamaaaa

pkane80: this is tazer's wet dream I can't wait to show him

mackenziej_: yeah that's enough instagram for you today

shawz65: please marry me


><

Mackenzie sat on her couch with her best friend, Harper and a glass of wine in her hand. "Soooo...are you gonna text him?" Harper asked with a shit-eating grin on her face.

"Who?"

"Jonathan Toews, asshole. Don't play stupid." Harper poked her friend.

"The ball's in his court, I gave him my number without taking his. If he really wants to go out, he's gonna have to text me first."

Harper nodded, impressed. "I've taught you well. Trap 'em." Mackenzie laughed. "It's just dinner, not marriage, Harper."

"Oh, please. That boy has been making heart eyes at you since you started attending parties with Marcus, I don't wanna hear it." Harper watched Mack gulp her wine. "And you can't tell me you don't want that tall hunk of a man to sweep you off your feet."

"He is pretty handsome, isn't it?" Mackenzie grinned, thinking about the Captain.

"Handsome and wants you. Wait 'till Pat shows him that picture you posted on Instagram. I bet he texts you as soon as he sees it."

As Mackenzie was getting ready for bed that night, her phone buzzed.

Dinner this weekend?

><

Jonathan Toews walked up the steps of Mackenzie's house and ran the doorbell. He had planned something casual, wanting to take her to a burger joint he really loved. Mackenzie swung the door open, wearing a yellow sundress and jean jacket. She smiled wide at the boy in front of her. He had cargo pants on and a plain t-shirt that hugged his arms oh-so-nicely.

"Hi, let me just grab my bag," she disappeared inside again before coming back out and closing the door.

"You look amazing," Jon said, putting his hand on the small of her back. "We're gonna walk 'cause it's nice out and not that far."

They crossed the street in a comfortable silence. Jon walked a step ahead of Mackenzie, which was really more like four steps with his stride.

"Hey," Mackenzie slid her hand in his, pulling softly. "Slow down, speed racer."

Jon's entire body got warm when she grabbed his hand. He had expected her to immediately drop it, but kept her cool hand in his, intertwining their fingers. His body relaxed after a few seconds, letting himself squeeze her hand. Mackenzie smiled at him. Yeah, definitely not just dinner.
♠ ♠ ♠
short and kinda fillerish. i promise we'll get smoochies soon lmfaoo.