We Took the Fall

19: He Deserves Better Than You

“How was work?” Jonathan posed gently as he moved to place a plate of food ahead of his girlfriend. It was late, after a day teaching, Catalina had done the dinner shift at the restaurant, but it was nothing that Jonathan wasn’t used to. In the few weeks that he had been dating Catalina for, they had often had to schedule dates on her days off or after the end of her shifts at the restaurant.

“Long” Catalina replied, folding herself into the corner of the couch “School was a pain and then someone spilt wine on my blouse at the restaurant, but I am feeling a lot better now that I am here with you” she mused, a tired smile spreading across her face. She was drained, after Fernando’s visit, she had barely been able to focus, but she was still glad to be around Jonathan. He was the only thing in her life at that moment that appeared simple. He was uncomplicated, sweet and cheerful, and after the day she had had, she needed him.

Jonathan tilted his head. “What happened at school?” he posed.

“It was just a bad day” Catalina replied “Tiring and long, but I am glad that you still decided to come round. I could use a cuddle with my guy” she enthused, offering him a little smile. She felt a little bad, hiding what had happened with Fernando was only going to cause problems, but she didn’t want to fight about it. She had no doubt that Jonathan felt rather strongly about her ex-boyfriend following the way that Fernando had behaved when he had met her parents, and she didn’t want to get into it then. She merely wanted the chance to calm down.

“Your guy, eh?” Jonathan chuckled, taking a bite of the salad he had served alongside their pizza.

Catalina smiled. “It’s what you are, isn’t it?” she teased, resting against him.

Jonathan smiled and pressed a kiss to her head. “I certainly am” he enthused softly.

“So how was your day?” Catalina mused, happily snuggling into his arms.

“The usual. Served coffee for six hours, sent out resumes to every company in Spain and then came over to visit my very pretty girlfriend” Jonathan cooed softly, earning a small giggle from Catalina. It was still odd, she had never been the type to fall head over heels within weeks, but she couldn’t help herself. She adored Jonathan and knew that she had probably made the right call in starting a relationship with him given the fact that Fernando showed little sign of ending things with Alicia.

“I love your laugh” Jonathan enthused gently.

“Why, thank you” Catalina teased.

“That was sort of your cue to say something nice about me, Cat” Jonathan chuckled, pressing another kiss to her head.

Catalina shook her head. “You have to earn it, Jonny” she teased.

“And how do you propose I do that, Catalina?” Jonathan smirked.

“I am sure you can think of something” Catalina quipped.

Jonathan smirked at her gently before he ducked his head, pressing a kiss against her lips. Catalina giggled a little and leaned back into the couch, allowing him to follow her movements. “You know, I did buy the food for us to eat it” he mumbled between kisses, his hand sneaking beneath her blouse.

“I’ve always preferred cold pizza anyway” Catalina murmured, her fingers gripping at the hem of his t-shirt.

“I was kind of hoping you’d say that” Jonathan smirked as he pulled back, offering his hand out to the blonde “To the bedroom?” he posed.

Catalina giggled and placed her hand in his, allowing him to lead her towards her bedroom, only to stop as the doorbell echoed. “Leave it” Jonathan murmured as he pulled her into another kiss.

Catalina kissed him back eagerly, but pulled away from him once more as the doorbell rang. “I should get it” she murmured “It’s late and something could have happened” she reasoned.

Jonathan sighed. “Fine, I will go and wait upstairs. Try to not take an age” he murmured before he placed another kiss against her lips.

Catalina watched him go before she moved to pull the door open, her head tilting at the sight of her sister. “Cia?” she murmured “It’s nearly ten at night, what are you doing here?” she posed. It was odd, Alicia never really went out of her way to visit Catalina, and it had caught the blonde girl rather off guard. Since she had stepped back at the maid of honor, she hadn’t seen that much of Alicia, let alone had her make unexpected visits late at night.

“You suck” Alicia slurred.

“Cia?” Catalina frowned “Are you drunk?” she added.

“Yup” Alicia squeaked “And I have every right to be considering I got dumped earlier” she added.

Catalina tilted her head. “What are you talking about?” she mused.

“Your prince charming of course, Fernando” Alicia spat out “He came home earlier and just ended things. He…he tried to blame it on me, but we both know that that is shit, don’t we Lina?” she mumbled.

“Cia, I have no idea what you’re talking about” Catalina replied.

“I have seen the way he looks at you” Alicia spat “I have seen the way you at him, so don’t play innocent, Lina” she hissed.

Catalina shook her head. “If something has happened between you and Fernando, I am deeply sorry, Cia…”

“Sorry?” the older girl snapped “You’ve been making freaking googly eyes at him since he got here and now he has it in his head that he ought to try and win you back. He threw me away for you, Lina, and that is not something I am going to forget lightly. You couldn’t just let me have this?” she spat.

“Let you have this? Cia, I have let you get your way since I could talk. I am sorry that things have ended between you and Fernando, I truly am, but I am not going to let you blame me for it, especially since he was my ex-boyfriend before he was your show boyfriend. You only loved him when it suited you and I am glad he realized that before you marched him down the aisle. He deserves better than you” Catalina hissed.

“And that’s you is it?” Alicia spat.

“I never said that it was. Fernando is a grown man, Cia, and he has made a decision, but I am not going to go running to him like some lost puppy. I made it clear to him that I am with Jonathan” Catalina sighed.

“And when did you make that clear to him?” Jonathan posed, stepping down the stairs from the spot he had clearly been eavesdropping from.

Catalina blinked.

Jonathan shook his head. “You spoke to him?” he posed, his eyes narrowed.

“He came to the school and he started to talk to me…I told him that I didn’t want him, Jon” Catalina whispered.

“I am going to kill him” Jonathan spat “Why can’t he understand that you’re over him?” he added.

“Because she isn’t” Alicia quipped “She’s never gotten over him” she added, offering her sister a smirk as Catalina’s skin paled.

Jonathan tilted his head. “You’re over him, aren’t you Cat?” he posed.

Catalina opened her mouth, but no words came out, causing Jonathan to scoff.

“I should have known” he spat before he moved to collect his coat from the side “Don’t bother calling” he added before he stormed out of the house, slamming the door for emphasis.

“Shame” Alicia muttered “He was cute” she added.

Catalina shook her head. “Get out of here, Cia” she spat.

“But…”

“No” Catalina interjected “As if it wasn’t bad enough that you came back here with Fernando in tow, you walked the poor guy around like a show dog and then blamed me for your failed relationship, now you have cost me something too. I liked Jonathan, I really fucking liked him, and you being you cost me that, Cia. I am done, I can’t deal with you anymore. So get out of here, go home or wherever it is you go, and just leave me the hell alone. I am done dealing with you” she snapped, pushing her sister out of the door.

“Catalina…”

“I’m done” Catalina repeated before she slammed the door closed, falling with her back pressed against it to the floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and lokis210 for the comments :)