We Took the Fall

38: Think On It

Stepping into the bedroom of the villa that he had rented out, Fernando tilted his head, his brown eyes marveling at the petite blonde who was curled up in a mountain of sheets, her skin hidden for the most part. It had been a spur of the moment decision, after confronting her family, Fernando had whisked her away for a well-deserved break on the coast of Italy, and he knew it was nothing short of what she needed. It had been comfortable, for the first time since they’d reconciled, Fernando felt at ease with her and it made him smile. He liked basking in the fact that there was little to stand in their way anymore.

“Nando?” Catalina’s voice was heavy and muffled by a small yawn.

“I’m right here, Lina” he mused “I just went to get us some coffee” he added, placing two mugs onto the nightstand.

“I don’t want coffee” Catalina replied, turning over so that she stared up at him.

“You don’t?” he teased.

Catalina shook her head and stretched up her arms, hooking them behind his neck. “I’d much rather have you” she murmured, a smirk on her face.

Fernando chuckled. “You seem to have wanted me a lot since we got here” he mused, happily laying back down beside her.

“Are you complaining?” Catalina mused, placing light kisses against the side of his face, slowly and deliberately working her way towards his lips.

Fernando shook his head. “Not at all, querida” he grinned “I just like how relaxed you seem now. It seems like a life time ago that we had our first date” he noted. It hadn’t been long, they’d only been together for a couple of months, but it felt like a lifetime ago that they had agreed to give them another shot, even longer since they had had a morning alone together that wasn’t full of apologizing or trying to convince the other that they were not at fault for what had happened.

“It’s not been that long” Catalina murmured as she moved to straddle his hips, her hand pushing her mane of blonde hair out of her eyes.

“I know” he smiled, marveling up at her “But I have missed us being comfortable like this” he added, his thumbs skimming over her hips bones which were hidden by the material of his boxer shorts that she had put on at some point.

Catalina smiled at him. “Well, you should get used to it” she noted, her fingertips pushing the gingery-blonde hair away from his eyes.

Fernando offered her a grin before he placed his hands on her hips, moving to press her back against the mattress. “I love you” he murmured, his hands pulling her vest top over her head.

Catalina smiled and placed her lips against is, returning the sentiment without a word.

~#~
“We should get out of this room at some point” Fernando noted as he padded back into the bedroom, placing a tray of food onto the mattress whilst he listened to the distant hiss of the shower. It had been a wonderful morning, Fernando couldn’t quite remember a better one since he and Catalina had gotten back together, and he hoped that things could stay that way for a little while. That morning had felt like the ones that they had used to share when they were younger.

“We should” Catalina replied, padding back into the bedroom with her towel folded around her.

“How would you feel about going to dinner? We’re in Italy after all and I think you’d love authentic Italian food” he smiled, taking a bite of the bagel he had prepared himself for breakfast.

“That sounds like a plan” Catalina smiled.

Fernando watched her for a second before he pushed himself to his feet, his hands reaching out to her. He didn’t quite know what it was, perhaps it was merely the relief of not having to deal with her family anymore, but he couldn’t seem to keep his hands off of her, something which made Catalina giggle. “It’s been an hour” she noted, gently pushing his hands away “And if you get me out of this towel, I think we both know any plans we have to get out of here will not happen. So, you should go and take a shower and then perhaps we could do a little sightseeing?” she suggested, moving to collect some clothes from the suitcase which she had left on the floor.

Fernando nodded. “Alright” he commented softly.

Catalina offered him a light smile before she placed a kiss on his cheek, earning another fond grin.

~#~
“It’s nice out here” Catalina murmured as she rested her forehead against the railing of the balcony which stood outside of their bedroom. It had been a nice day, relaxed and comfortable, and she doubted she had had a better one in a long while. It felt safe, comfortable and romantic, and Catalina knew a lot of it was to do with the man who sat beside her, his feet swinging slightly as they watched the late summer sunset.

“You’re not too cold?” Fernando posed, offering her a sideward glance.

“Not right now, no” Catalina replied.

“You’ll tell me if you get cold right?” he posed.

“No, I was just going to sit here and freeze” Catalina mused, the sarcastic eye roll practically audible in her words.

Fernando shook his head. “I am glad we did this” he muttered leaning his head into the gap that existed between her neck and shoulder.

“Did what?” Catalina posed.

“Got back together. Confronted your relatives. Came to Italy…There is any number of things I am glad about right now” he mused “But mostly, I am glad to be sat here with you” he added.

Catalina rested back against him. “I’m glad you’re here too” she mumbled, her voice wavering slightly with a little yawn.

“Do you realize that we would have been celebrating our 10th anniversary this year?” he murmured, the pads of his thumbs rubbing small circles into her hips.

“I do realize that” Catalina replied “It would have been 3 weeks ago” she murmured.

Fernando tilted his head. “That means your birthday is coming up” he mused softly.

“2 weeks tomorrow” Catalina replied “You’re on a pre-season tour with Atletico” she added.

“I am?” he posed.

“I checked, but it is fine. Esther is already plotting and she has promised to make sure that I don’t miss you too much” she teased.

“I’m sorry I miss it” he muttered.

Catalina shrugged. “Another year isn’t going to kill me” she noted.

Fernando rested his head against hers. “I love you, Lina” he murmured.

Catalina smiled. “You’ve said that a lot today” she teased.

Fernando closed his eyes. “I just really want to make sure that you know it. The last few weeks have been fraught and I want to take this time, before we go home, to make you aware of how happy I am right now” he explained softly.

Catalina placed a kiss on his lips. “I am happy too” she whispered “And I love you too” she added, leaning her forehead on his.

“Can I ask you something, Lina?” he mumbled.

“Anything” Catalina replied.

“When we get home, will you come and live with me?” he posed softly.

Catalina leant back slightly. “Really?” she squeaked.

“Really” he murmured.

Catalina chewed on her lip, something which made him smile. “Just think on it, Lina, that’s all I ask” he mused.

Catalina nodded her head, agreeing to think, before she turned back to the sunset which shone ahead of her, basking in a moment of peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)