We Took the Fall

41: Let’s Not Make The Same Mistake

“Please?” Fernando mumbled as he held Catalina’s slim frame against him, preventing her from climbing out of the bed. It had been a couple of weeks since Fernando had gotten back from the pre-season tour with Atletico and, even despite his near constant badgering, Catalina had failed to give him an answer to his question. He knew that it was a little quick, they’d only been back together for a matter of weeks, but he didn’t see the need to beat around the bush. They were comfortable, they always had been around one another, and he didn’t understand her need to postpone what he knew was inevitable. He wasn’t about to let her slip through his fingers for a second time without a fight.

Catalina, who had given up trying to get away from him, sighed. “I am still thinking, Fernando” she murmured.

“We’ve been back from Italy for almost 6 weeks” the striker pointed out, placing a soft kiss against the skin of her shoulder “And I have been back from America for 2 weeks. In those two weeks, Lina, you have spent every night here, in my bed, so I have to ask, why are you holding back on me?” he murmured gently. He didn’t want to force her into it, he wanted her to be comfortable above everything else, but he couldn’t help but ask. She spent almost every night with him and he wanted to know why she wouldn’t just agree to move in. It would have made far more sense than the repeated trips back to her home to collect more and more of her things.

Catalina shook her head. “I am not holding back on you, Nando” she whispered.

“You sort of are, Lina” he replied, loosening his grip fractionally “You spend every night here and I just want a reason as to why you won’t just give in and move in here? I think we can both agree that this is where we are inevitably going to end up” he added, resting his head softly against his pillow.

“I hope that we do” Catalina replied.

“Then why are you holding back?” Fernando enquired gently, his hand moving to squeeze hers.

Catalina sighed. “You want the truth?” she whispered, her blue eyes peeking up at the ceiling which was stained with the first rays of the morning’s sunshine.

“It’d be better than a lie” Fernando replied, trying to lighten the suddenly tense atmosphere.

Catalina spared a shy laugh before she closed her head. “I am scared” she whispered.

Fernando furrowed his eyebrows together. “Scared?” he repeated.

“We’re really good right now” Catalina noted gently “We were great yesterday and we’re probably going to be great today, but I don’t know about tomorrow, next week, next month. I am happy that we are together, I truly am, but I just don’t want to get too far ahead of myself” she explained.

Fernando watched her speak before he lightly shook his head, giving her arm a little tug which caused her to turn onto her side, her blue eyes peeking timidly into his. “You have absolutely nothing to be scared of” he mused gently, his other hand brushing her blonde hair out of her face.

“Nando…”

“You don’t, Catalina” he interrupted softly “We’re not in any danger, we’re comfortable, and you need to stop worrying. Your family is dealt with, mine are delighted that we’re back together, and Esther is very happy to be looking out for you, and there is nothing here that ought to scare you. We’re happy, Lina, and you need to get it out of your head that it can stay that way. This is a good thing” he enthused happily. It was strong words, only given that they had been back together for a few weeks, but he wanted her to be a little more confident. Things were remarkable good for them and there was no reason why it couldn’t stay that way for a while.

Catalina studied his expression for a few seconds, her teeth nervously nibbling on her lower lip. Fernando chuckled softly and reached out, prying the delicate skin from between her teeth. “You’ve got to stop doing that when you’re with me. I know it is your nervous habit, but it has an entirely different effect on me” he teased gently, placing a soft kiss against her lips.

Catalina melted into it almost instantly, her smaller frame straddling his hips.

“Lina” he murmured, the pads of his thumbs gently rubbing circles into her hips “We’ve been here before” he added.

Catalina nodded. “I know” she replied, pushing her hair over her shoulder.

“Then you know that there is no need for a repeat” he noted, his doe brown eyes staring up at her like she was the most fascinating thing in existence.

“Fernando…”

“Why don’t you just say it, Lina? You’re scared of committing to me” he mused, his tone somewhere between biting and soft.

Catalina sighed.

“Is it something about me?” he whispered gently.

“No” Catalina refuted.

“Then what it is, Lina?” he posed.

Catalina shrugged her shoulders.

Fernando sighed and rolled over, placing her back lightly against the mattress. “Relationships like this are about taking risks, Catalina, they’re about being entirely vulnerable with another person and I know that I can do that with you. But you can’t do it with me” he murmured, laying at her side.

“I’m not much of a risk taker” Catalina replied, staring at the ceiling.

“Can’t you be one for me?” he posed.

Catalina was silent.

“I guess not” he mumbled, moving to climb out of the bed, collecting the shirt that Catalina had tossed on the floor the previous night.

“I’ll do it” Catalina squeaked.

Fernando shook his head. “You’re just saying it” he mused, stopping at her side of the bed “You think you have to” he added.

“I am not” Catalina refuted, her hands making a grab for his “Fernando” she added, causing him to look at her “I don’t want to make the same mistake. I didn’t take the risk before, I let you go and that was my biggest mistake, my biggest regret, and I don’t want to do it again” she explained, staring him in the eye.

“And you’re not just saying it?” he posed.

“I want to live with you” Catalina noted “If you’ll have me of course” she added.

Fernando smiled. The shier side of her was the side he had fallen for.

“I think I could make room for you here” he smiled softly.

Catalina smiled back at him timidly.

Fernando kissed her head gently. “We’re OK” he whispered, placing his arms around her “And I will tell you that every day if you want me to. I’m not making the same mistakes we made in our 20s” he mumbled, hugging her tight.

Catalina hugged him back. She could only hope that she was making the right call.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)