We Took the Fall

42: Who Knew I’d Beat You To It?

“I see you’re moved in” Esther teased as she padded into Fernando’s apartment, her eyes scanning the array of cardboard boxes which filled part of the hall. It had been a quick turnaround, after agreeing that living together was the next logical step, Fernando and Catalina had been quick to pack up her home and move her things to his, something which had thrilled the striker no end. It clearly meant a lot to him, the idea that Catalina was alright with making such a step with him, and Catalina had to admit that his excitement had reassured her that she was making the right call. Seeing him smile made her feel less anxious and more certain that they were doing the right thing.

“My boxes are moved in” Catalina replied, leading her friend into the living room “We’re struggling on where to put everything, but I am sure we’ll get everything unpacked eventually” she added, clearing some packing materials off of the couch.

Esther smiled and sat down. “I am sure blondie would be willing to throw out his stuff for you” she teased, kicking her feet up onto the coffee table.

“Probably” Catalina replied, smiling softly “But let’s not talk about that right now. You sounded excited on the phone, Esther” she noted. She loved talking about Fernando, the striker, to her, was easily the most fascinating thing in the world, but she didn’t want to overdo it. It seemed like all she ever talked about was her and her relationship and she didn’t want to annoy Esther with it. There was going to come a point where she needed to talk to Esther about something and she didn’t want the other woman to be annoyed when the time came.

Esther nodded. “I have something I want to tell you” she mused, smiling coyly.

Catalina frowned. “Is it bad?” she posed.

“That depends on who you are. For you, probably not, for the male population of the world, possibly” Esther teased.

“Esther, what are you talking about?” Catalina quipped, shaking her head gently.

“I’ve been dating Alex for a while now, about 5 or 6 months, and, after a talk, I am pleased to announce that we are planning to get married” Esther grinned.

Catalina blinked. “You’re engaged?” She squeaked, her blue eyes studying her friend intently.

Esther nodded. “He popped the question the other night and with the whole moving in with blondie thing on your plate, I wanted to wait a couple of days to tell you. I am going to get married, Lina” she enthused excitedly.

“Wow” Catalina breathed “Esther, that’s amazing” she added, a wide grin appearing on her face.

“It is, isn’t it?” Esther gushed, her smile seemingly immovable.

“I knew you liked Alex, but marriage? You’re a grown up” Catalina giggled, moving to hug her friend tightly.

Esther giggled. “I know” she squeaked “Who’d have thought it?” she added.

Catalina smiled softly. “I am happy for you, Esther. Alex is a nice guy and you two make an adorable couple” she enthused, leaning back from their hug.

Esther returned her grin. “I had something I wanted to ask you” she mused.

“Esther…”

“Come on, Lina, who else am I going to ask? I don’t have any sisters and I was never really close to my brother’s wife or my cousins. You’re the best friend I have and I want to do this with you. I promise, I will not be like Cia” she grinned making Catalina shake her head.

“You promise?” Catalina teased.

“Cross my heart and hope to die” Esther replied seriously before she burst into a fit of giggles.

Catalina shook her head. “I pity Alex” she teased.

Esther scoffed. “I am a catch” she replied “Alex is lucky to have me” she added.

Catalina smiled gently before she heard the front door open, something which made Esther smile. “Go and welcome blondie home” she teased, giving her friend a little shove “We can get to wedding planning after that” she added.

Catalina rolled her eyes but padded into the hall, her blue eyes peeking at Fernando who had moved to set his kit bag down on top of one of the cardboard boxes. “You’re early” she mused, leaning against the door frame.

Fernando looked up, offering her a small smile. “I felt my hamstring pull a little. I got checked over by the doctor and they sent me home to rest. After seeing you, I can see they made the right choice. Where did you find that?” he posed, gesturing to the oversized shirt she sported over her leggings.

Catalina peeked down at the material and shrugged. “I can’t seem to find any of my clothes right now so I looked around in your wardrobe, I liked this one better than the Atleti one” she mused, grinning.

Fernando shook his head. “I would like it much better on my bedroom floor” he muttered, taking a couple of paces towards her, emphasizing the height difference that existed between them.

“You’re supposed to be resting, Nando” Catalina replied with a small grin “I am not going to be the reason that you hurt yourself” she added.

“I would…”

“Please” Esther interjected, stepping up beside Catalina “Just stop. My innocent ears cannot take it” she added.

Fernando’s cheeks warmed, something which made Catalina snicker.

“Did I forget to mention that Esther was here?” she smiled.

Fernando shook his head. “Hola, Esther” he greeted softly.

“Hola, blondie” Esther grinned.

“Still not Fernando?” the striker posed.

“Not yet” she replied “I ought to be on my way. You’re in to be my maid-of-honour right?” she posed, looking at Catalina.

“You’re getting married?” Fernando posed, his voice a little surprised.

Esther nodded her head. “I know. Who knew I’d beat you to it?” she teased, patting the striker’s shoulder.

Fernando rolled his eyes. He knew that marriage was a long way off for him and Catalina and he didn’t want her thinking otherwise. Moving in together was a big enough step for the time being and he didn’t want to pressure her. Catalina was clearly someone he was going to have to take his time with and he didn’t mind it. They were still trying to get to know one another again.

“Congratulations, Esther” he replied earnestly “Whoever the groom is, is a lucky guy” he added.

Esther smiled at him gently. “Gracias, blondie” she noted.

Catalina smiled at the pair of them. She couldn’t help but think it was a good thing they got on so well. “Esther, I would be more than happy to be your maid-of-honour” she smiled softly.

“Fantastic” Esther smiled “I will be in touch about starting the planning” she noted.

“Congrats, Esther” Catalina smiled as she moved to stand beside Fernando, happily snuggling into his side.

Esther smiled at the pair of them.

She doubted that their engagement would lag far behind her own, even if they both denied it. One of them was going to take the plunge sooner rather than later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme1122334 and lokis210 for the comments :)