We Took the Fall

04: Enough For Me

“So, let me get this straight” Esther Reyes mused as she sipped on her coffee, her green eyes peeking over at her best friend who had slumped into the chair opposite, a take away coffee cup clutched in her hand. “The guy that you have been so hopelessly hung up on since I have known you, has moved back to Madrid, but he’s no longer available” she mused, a slightly amused grin on her face.

“Esther, please” Catalina murmured, picking chunks out of the lip of the cup.

“But you didn’t let me get to the best bit yet” Esther grinned.

Catalina rolled her eyes. “Not only is Fernando not single, he’s dating my sister” she mumbled, flicking the discarded pieces of cup onto the table. It had been a few days and after an exceedingly awkward dinner with Alicia and Fernando, Catalina was pleased that she hadn’t seen them again. She knew that it was coming, Alicia had already made it abundantly clear that she wanted Catalina involved with the wedding, but Catalina had been grateful for the break from the happy couple. She was still getting used to the idea and didn’t need it forced upon her.

“He’s not just dating her though, is he?” Esther teased.

“No” Catalina replied, shaking her head “He’s going to be married to her” she added.

Esther shook her head. “I am sorry, Lina” she noted gently “I know you always kind of waited on him” she added. It was no secret, Catalina still adored Fernando, and Esther felt for her. A small part of Catalina had always thought that if he did return to Spain, then things could have worked out for them.

Catalina shook her head. “I just don’t understand” she murmured “Out of all the girls in the world, how did he end up with Alicia?” she muttered gently.

Esther shrugged. “Luck I guess” she mused.

Catalina sighed and plucked another chunk of the cup, tossing it onto the ever-growing pile. “He offered me the chance to back of going to the wedding, you know” she murmured.

Esther tilted her head. “You didn’t snap his arm off?” she posed. It would have made sense, nothing would make Catalina more miserable than watching her older sister marry the man she clearly still had some sort of feeling towards, and Esther was a little surprised that Catalina hadn’t jumped at the chance. It was a chance to get out before things got worse, something they would inevitably do if Alicia was involved.

Catalina shook her head. “She’s my sister, Esther” she noted.

“She’s also a witch, Lina” Esther replied “You know how she can get and you know that it is only going to get worse now that she is planning a wedding” she noted knowingly.

“She’s not that bad” Catalina replied, setting her newly empty cup on the table.

Esther scoffed. “Have you forgotten what she did for your birthday last year?” she quipped.

“She didn’t buy me a thing and then dragged my parents away for the day so that I spent it alone, but…”

“Lina” Esther interjected “She’s bad news and as soon as she clocks onto the fact that you like Fernando, she’s going to make your life miserable. You should have taken the out he offered and run when you had the chance” she mused.

Catalina sighed. “You’re probably right, but there’s nothing I can do. If I back out, she’s going to think that I have feelings for him…”

“Which you do” Esther interrupted.

Catalina shook her head. “And if I stick around, she’s probably going to make it hellish anyways. I just need you to keep an eye and make sure that I don’t hit her or anything stupid” she mused.

Esther nodded. “I can do that” she mused “But I might hit her for you” she teased.

Catalina smiled and moved to scoop the torn up cup into the bin, Esther following her lead. “So what is this Fernando guy like?” the dark haired girl posed.

Catalina shrugged. “I don’t really know about now, he could well have changed in 8 years, but when we were younger, he was pretty great” she enthused softly “He was sweet, romantic, spontaneous. He had the most wonderful knack of making me feel like the only woman in the room” she mused, a small smile appearing on her lips.

Esther admired the look and shook her head. “You’ve still got it bad for him, haven’t you?” she posed as they padded towards the exit.

Catalina scoffed. “It was 8 years ago, Esther” she mused.

“And your smile says you remember everything like it was yesterday” Esther retorted.

Catalina shook her head. “It has been hard to get over it, Nando…”

“Nando?” Esther teased.

Catalina rolled her eyes. “Fernando” she murmured, stressing the word for emphasis “He was the first boyfriend I ever had, the first proper one anyways, and I guess a little part of me will still love him. He was the first one” she noted, shrugging her shoulders.

“He was your first?” Esther poked.

Catalina blushed, but nodded. “Yes, and part of me will always hold a special place for him, but I am not about to make some massive admission of feelings and ruin what he has with my sister. Yes, I hate it. Yes, Alicia is probably going to make it hellish. But he loves her and that is enough for me. You should have seen him smile for her” she mused.

Esther shook her head and moved to walk towards her car. “You’re braver than I am” she quipped.

“Brave, or stupid, one of the two” Catalina teased.

“Just don’t let her get the better of you, Lina.” Esther smiled as she moved to get into her car.

Catalina shrugged. “She’s my sister, Esther, and she is getting married to a man I once had a relationship with, what more could she do?” she teased with a smile.

Esther smiled. “I am glad you’re taking such a positive approach, Lina, but we both know it is easy to say that now when things seem calm. Just wait until…”

“Speak of the devil” Catalina murmured as her phone cut off her friend mid-sentence “I will see you, Esther” she mused, waving her hand as she placed her phone to her ear.

Esther watched her friend and shook her head gently. She could tell that it wasn’t going to end well, Alicia had a habit of being a little oblivious to other people’s feelings, and she knew eventually it would take its toll on Catalina, especially if Fernando was involved. Even if she had never met him, Esther could tell from one look at Catalina’s face that there was more than a few feelings still present.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)