We Took the Fall

05: Just Say Yes

Wiping a hand across his forehead, Fernando folded up another cardboard box, placing it on the ever-growing pile which stood in the corner. It had been a hectic couple of days, after his move to Milan, and consequently then to Atletico had been confirmed, Fernando had spent most of his time unpacking, and he was glad that he was getting through it. He wanted to ensure that he and Alicia were settled quickly before they even started thinking about the wedding planning that he knew she was desperate to get started on. He liked it, the idea that she was so excited to become his wife, and it made him sure that he had made the right call, even if his stomach had dropped when he had seen the look on Catalina’s face. She was the past, the girl he had loved before, and he didn’t want to dwell on it, even if he had had thoughts about her. He wanted to focus his attention on his wife-to-be.

“Nando?” Alicia called, causing him to lift his head “Can you come down here for a second?” she added.

Fernando straightened up and padded down the stairs, his brown eyes widening a fraction as he spotted Catalina stood in the door way, her blue eyes looking in any direction that wasn’t at him. He didn’t like it, the way she couldn’t even bring herself to look at him, but he doubted that there was anything he could do. To Catalina, he was always going to be the man who had left and that had come back engaged to her sister, and he doubted he could change it even if he tried. He would forever just be the ‘ex’ to her.

“Lina” he breathed “What are you doing here?” he posed.

“Al…”

“I called her” Alicia grinned, padding into the hall “I wanted to talk about the wedding” she mused.

Fernando noted the slight flinch that passed over Catalina’s face at the thought of his wedding, but stopped himself from commenting on it. He knew that Alicia didn’t like it, the idea that he and Catalina had a past had sparked quite a disagreement following the dinner that they had gone to, and he didn’t want to start her off again. It had taken a while to convince her that there wasn’t anything between him and Catalina.

“We haven’t even talked about the wedding yet, querida” he protested softly, sparing a soft look towards Catalina.

“I know, but I know you have already called on Sergio” Alicia pointed out.

Fernando sighed. He had visited the defender. It had been one of the first things he had done when they had arrived in Madrid.

Alicia spared him a slightly triumphant grin before she padded towards Catalina, drawing her sister’s attention to her. “Do you want a drink or something, Lina?” she posed.

Catalina shook her head. “No, I just came from coffee with Esther, but I was kind of hoping that we could keep this short, Cia. I have a shift at the restaurant this evening and I was hoping to take a run beforehand” she explained gently.

“Restaurant?” Fernando posed.

“I work part time as a waitress” Catalina posed, answering the question she knew he really meant to ask.

“I thought you wanted to teach” Fernando noted “You always talked about teaching or working in daycare” he added.

Catalina smiled, a little impressed that he had recalled that about her. “I…”

“Fernando” Alicia interjected, cutting her sister off “Sweetie, can you go and get me a cup of juice? I want to catch up with Lina” she mused, batting her eyelids at the striker who nodded his head softly, quickly flashing her a grin before he padded into the kitchen.

Catalina watched him go before she turned her eyes back to her sister. “I know what you are going to say, Cia, and you have my word. I will keep my distance from him” she noted, her blue eyes noting the way that her sister’s lips were pursed. It was a familiar sight, it was the same look Alicia always wore when something irked her, and Catalina had little intention of upsetting her further. It merely wasn’t worth the hassle.

Alicia nodded. “Good” she smiled “I would hate for you and I to have a problem” she mused.

Catalina shook her head. “There’s no problem, Cia” she mused “He’s all yours” she added.

Alicia smiled. “That’s what I like to hear” she enthused.

Catalina offered her a smile. “So why did you call me over here?” she posed softly. It wasn’t what she wanted, if Catalina had her way, then she would have kept as far away as she could form her sister and the striker, but Alicia had been insistent. She had said that she had something important to ask and the curious side of Catalina wanted to know what, even if she did have a nasty feeling she knew precisely what her sister wanted.

Alicia smiled. “Well, I have been doing some thinking, and I decided that I wanted you to be…”

“Cia” Catalina interrupted, “You’re sweet to ask, really you are but, I don’t think I would be comfortable” she mused, shaking her head.

Alicia shook her head. “Please, Lina. You’re my little sister, I wouldn’t want anyone up there with me” she insisted.

“I am also your husband-to-be’s ex” Catalina reminded “And I don’t think I would be Ok with being up there. I will come to the wedding, Cia, I am not going to be that petty, but…”

“But I don’t have anyone else to ask” Alicia interjected, a pout on her face “And I always imagined that we would do this together. I always pictured that you would be the one I took dress shopping, the one who planned my pre-wedding party. You’re my sister, Catalina” she insisted gently.

“But…”

“Please, Lina” Alicia interjected “Pretty please?” she added, batting her eyelids.

“What about Taylor? She’s your best friend isn’t she?” Catalina insisted.

“We stopped talking. Please, Lina” Alicia mused, gripping at her hands tightly “Please” she added.

Catalina sighed. “Alicia, I really don’t think…”

“That you’re enough over Fernando to stand up there?” Alicia quipped.

Catalina shook her head. “It isn’t that” she murmured.

“Then why won’t you just say yes?” Alicia posed.

Catalina opened and closed her mouth a couple of times before she let out a sigh, shaking her head gently. “Alright, Cia” she murmured “I will do it” she added.

Alicia squeaked and tossed her arms around Catalina, hugging her tightly as Fernando padded back into the room, his brown eyes softening slightly as he spotted the look on Catalina’s face. “I’m sorry” he mouthed.

Catalina noted it and slightly shook her head. “It’s fine” she mouthed back.

Fernando scoffed quietly. No matter how many time she said it, he doubted he would ever buy it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)