We Took the Fall

60: I Want To Say Thanks

“Are you going to be ok?” Fernando posed as he pulled the car to a stop, his brown eyes peeking across at his fiancée who sat quietly in the passenger seat, her hands fiddling with the hem of her dress. It had been coming for a while, after Catalina had passed the 7th month of her pregnancy, it had only been a matter of time before she made the call to go on maternity leave, but the striker knew that it was a big deal for her. She loved her job, for as long as Fernando had known her, Catalina had wanted to teach, and he knew it hurt her to have to give it up, even if it was only for a little while so that she could care for their son, he knew it pained her.

Catalina shrugged. “I guess” she murmured “It’s just strange. I’ve agreed to start up again next New Year, but that will be with a new class and I guess I am sad to say goodbye to this one. We figured we’d have a few more months yet” she explained.

“You’re doing it for a good reason” Fernando enthused, his hand gently rubbing her ever growing bump.

Catalina smiled. “I know” she mused, resting her hand over his “But I am going to miss it, you know?” she mumbled.

Fernando nodded his head gently before he leant over the centre console, pressing a kiss to her temple. “I’ll see you later” he mused “If you’re going to cry, Esther’s promised to stand in for me when it comes to comforting hugs” he added.

Catalina spared a light laugh before she leant over, placing a kiss on his lips. “You’re amazing” she murmured softly.

Fernando spared a nonchalant shrug. “I try” he teased.

Catalina pecked his lips once more before she pushed the car door open, climbing out.

“You’ll be fine” Fernando encouraged “It’s not forever” he added.

Catalina nodded. “It’s not” she replied softly “But for now, it sucks” she mumbled, her voice shaking a little.

Fernando shook his head gently and climbed out of the car, making his way over to her. “Come on” he murmured, gently lacing their fingers together.

“You have to go” Catalina protested.

“Simeone will understand” the striker replied “And even if he doesn’t, I will take the fine for missing training without argument. I think someone needs me a little more than he does today” he quipped, kissing her temple gently as they walked towards the building. Catalina leant into him a little as they walked through the building. She felt silly, it was only maternity leave, but between hormones and her upset about the state of her family, it had gotten the better of her.

Leading her towards the staff room, Fernando knocked the door open, offering her the opportunity to walk in ahead of him. “They’re probably going to be happier to see you than me” he teased.

Catalina offered him a small look before she stepped inside, jumping a little at the chorus of surprise that echoed. “What?” she squeaked.

“We couldn’t just let you go” Esther grinned, stepping out of Alex’s arms “We’ve got an hour before the children show up and so between me and your lovely boyfriend over there, we thought we could throw you an impromptu baby shower. It’s not much, but we figured…”

“It’s amazing” Catalina interrupted, her blue eyes peeking around the small staff room. It had been decorated beautifully, baby blue bunting hung from the ceiling and a small pile of baby presents was sat in the corner, and for a second, it overwhelmed Catalina, bringing tears to her eyes.

“It was mostly Esther” Fernando noted, smiling.

“You did your fair share, blondie” Esther grinned.

Catalina shook her head gently before she padded over to Esther, wrapping her in a tight hug. “Gracias” she enthused.

Esther hugged her back. “No problem, Cat” she enthused “But I am so expecting dibs on godmother” she added.

Catalina giggled and nodded. “There’s no one else I would want” she grinned, sparing a look towards Fernando who nodded his head. He had always anticipated that Esther would be the godmother to their baby.

Esther grinned. “Now that’s settled, why don’t we open some presents?” she suggested.

Catalina nodded her head eagerly and padded towards the table, Fernando helping her to sit down. “We suggest this one first” Esther enthused as she followed Catalina, handing her a scruffily wrapped gift.

“What that one?” Catalina posed.

“Because your class put it together” Fernando enthused.

Catalina’s face slackened a little before she took the present out of Esther’s hands, pulling the baby blue paper off to reveal a jar which had been filled with ice lolly sticks. Catalina tilted her head to the side and unscrewed the lid, pulling out one of the sticks. “They’re baby name ideas” Esther explained, her eyes watching Catalina closely “You had a hospital appointment a couple of weeks ago and whilst you were gone, I got a suggestion from each child in your class. There were a few repeats, a lot of the boys thought Cristiano would be a fantastic name, but in the end, there are 25 unique boys names that you and blondie can talk about for baby Torres De Marcos” Esther grinned.

Catalina blinked, a few tears tumbling down her cheeks. “It’s…wow” she squeaked.

Esther chuckled. “Why don’t you work on opening the rest of those?” she mused, gesturing the remaining presents “If we pause for you to cry after all of them, we’re probably going to be here all day” she added.

Catalina nodded and turned back to the presents, allowing Fernando a chance to slip towards Esther, his elbow gently nudging her ribs. “You did a wonderful job with this, Esther” he enthused.

“She deserves it” Esther mused.

“I agree” Fernando noted “But I still wanted to say thanks. You’ve been amazing since this whole thing got underway and I owe you” he mused.

“If by this whole thing, you mean you and Cat, then yeah, I have been fantastic” Esther teased.

“Seriously, Esther” Fernando mused “I am glad that she’s got someone like you around” he enthused.

Esther smiled. “I’m not the one who’s made the impact, blondie” she enthused “I have never known her so happy” she added.

Fernando smiled bashfully.

“I’d like to thank you too” Esther smiled “You’re the best thing for her and I am glad that she has you” she smiled.

Fernando grinned back at her before Catalina gestured towards him, causing him to pad towards her, placing a kiss on her head. Esther watched them together and grinned. She doubted it was going to be plain sailing, from what she had heard, it was only a matter of time before Marisol and Alicia attempted to work their way back into Catalina’s life, but she hoped that she would let Fernando protect her. He’d done a wonderful job with her since he’d come back into her life and Esther hoped that she kept him close. The striker was the best thing for Catalina and for their son.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)