We Took the Fall

62: You’re My Family

“Have you got hold of him yet?” Catalina squeaked as she held onto Esther’s hand, trying to ride out the pain of another contraction. It had happened quickly, after her waters had broken, she had called Esther who had rushed her into hospital, and with no sign of Fernando, she was starting to get concerned. It was progressing fast, when she had arrived, Catalina had been 7cm dilated, and she doubted that there was much more time left before her son made his first appearance, something which upset her a little. She knew that it would get at Fernando, he had made it clear that he didn’t want to be the father who missed his son’s birth, but Catalina was starting to become resigned to the idea that he would. It had been almost 2 hours and no one seemed able to get a hold of him.

“Not yet, honey” Esther cooed softly, brushing the blonde hair off of her forehead “But Alex is trying as well as his parents and someone’s trying to find the number to get in contact with the coaching staff. They’ve only gone to play Rayo so he’s not far away, it’s just a case of getting through and if it comes to it, sending Alex to go and get him” she explained, trying to keep the blonde calm.

“I need him, Esther” Catalina protested, her face grimacing through another contraction.

“I know” Esther soothed “And we’re going to find him, but right now, you need to focus all of your attention on keeping calm for that little boy in there OK? Everything will be OK, but you need to calm down” she insisted softly.

Catalina took a couple of deep breaths before she nodded her head, flashing Esther an appreciative grin. “I’m glad you’re here” she murmured, gently resting her head on her pillow.

“I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else” Esther assured her “If blondie can’t get here, then I would be more than happy to help you” she grinned.

Catalina nodded her head appreciatively. “Thank you, Esther” she murmured softly “You’ve been amazing since the shit hit the fan with my family and…”

“You’re my family” Esther insisted “You, blondie, baby blondie, you guys are my family and I am in the habit of doing anything for my family” she enthused.

Catalina grinned and leant over slightly, pulling her friend into a hug before Alex sped into the room. “I’ve got him” he grinned.

“You have?” Catalina squeaked.

Alex nodded his head rapidly and stepped towards the bed, offering his phone out to Catalina who took it, her eyes landing on Fernando’s face which was on the screen. “Amor” she breathed “Where the hell are you?” she added, another contraction pushing through her.

“I’m on my way, Lina” Fernando assured her gently “My phone was in my bag and my bag was in my room. I didn’t get the call until 5 minutes ago. Are you doing Ok?” he posed, concerned etched onto his face.

Catalina nodded. “I guess so” she murmured gently “I mean, it hurts, Nando, really hurts, but Esther’s doing a good job as my coach” she insisted gently.

“I wish I was there” Fernando sighed gently “I’m still about an hour out” he added gently.

Catalina nodded. “I’ll let you get back” she murmured gently.

Fernando nodded sadly. “I’ll be there as soon as I can, Lina” he promised her gently “But until then, just be safe. I’d love to arrive to both of you being OK” he insisted gently.

Catalina spared him a soft grin before she handed the phone back to Alex, her blue eyes turning to Esther. “Are you ready to help me give birth to a baby?” she posed.

Esther grinned and nodded her head. “I’d be more than happy to” she agreed.

~#~
Wheezing, Fernando sped up to the nurses’ station, calling the attention of the nurses towards him. “I need someone to show me to my girlfriend’s room” he noted, his words muffled by his racing breath.

“I need a name” a nurse noted.

“Catalina De Marcos” Fernando noted.

The nurse nodded her head. “Alright, follow me” she mused before she started to wander down the hall, Fernando on her heels. They walked for a few moments before they reached a small private room. “Miss De Marcos is in recovery. She spent 3 hours in labour and gave birth to a healthy baby boy. You’re the father, I assume” she smiled. Fernando nodded his head and turned his eyes towards the door, taking a little breath before he pushed it open, his brown eyes settling on what was easily the most amazing thing he’d ever seen. “Catalina” Esther, who was sat beside the blonde, whispered, pulling Catalina’s attention away from her son who sat in her arms, his blue eyes just about open.

“Nando” Catalina whispered, her voice hoarse “You’re here” she smiled.

Fernando nodded his head, his feet dragging him a couple of paces forwards. “You…we…he” he stumbled out.

Catalina spared him a light laugh, her blue eyes watching as Esther and Alex slipped out of the room. “He’s beautiful, isn’t he?” she murmured, her arms gently shifting around the baby who yawned a little, his tiny face creasing up.

“I can’t find the words for him” Fernando murmured, reaching the side of her bed “I can’t quite believe it was all over so quickly” he added.

Catalina shrugged. “He’s worth it” she insisted softly “I can’t stop myself from looking at him” she added, smiling down at their son.

Fernando smiled fondly and gently sat down. “We need a name” he murmured “Baby boy Torres De Marcos is a mouthful” he teased.

“You read the names from the jar” Catalina mused, a little yawn falling out of her mouth “You choose one” she murmured.

Fernando thought for a moment before he flicked his stare down to their son. “Can I hold for a moment?” he posed.

Catalina nodded her head gently and lowered the baby into his arms, smiling a little at the sight of the two of them together. “You look good together” she enthused, her head gently resting on his shoulder. Fernando smiled at her gently before he turned his eyes back to their baby.

“Felix” he murmured gently.

Catalina peeked up at him. “Felix?” she posed.

“Felix Louis Torres De Marcos” Fernando replied.

Catalina smiled at the name, confirming that she liked it, before she ducked down, pressing a kiss to Felix’s head. She couldn’t quite wrap her head around the idea that he had arrived.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)