We Took the Fall

06: I Know The Feeling

“You need me to do what?” Catalina posed softly as she rested her phone between her ear and shoulder, her hand shuffling the pile of notebooks which she had been marking. It was a Sunday, one of the few days that Catalina had entirely to herself, and she was a little irked that her sister had called. Ever since she had agreed to be the maid of honor, it seemed as though Alicia’s favourite past time had become irking her little sister. It had only been a couple of weeks, but since Alicia and Fernando had arrived in Madrid, their wedding planning had taken off, something which Catalina was getting better at coping with. It was still a strange idea, seeing Fernando kiss and hug her sister still evoked a strange twitch in the pit of her stomach, but she was getting better at dealing with it, even if Alicia was proving a pain.

“I need you to get to my dance lesson for me” Alicia replied.

Catalina sighed. “Why do you need me to do that?” she mumbled “It is supposed to be your dance lesson, not mine” she added.

“I know that, Lina” Alicia retorted like it was the most obvious thing in the world “But I cannot make it and Fernando needs all the help he can get. I wouldn’t ask if it wasn’t necessary” she noted.

Catalina snorted. If there was one thing that Alicia was good at, it was asking her sister to do things that were entirely unnecessary. “Can’t you just rearrange it? Cia, I am in the middle of something” Catalina replied.

“What are you doing?” Alicia posed.

“I was marking books” Catalina noted.

“You can put that off for an hour or so” Alicia retorted “Please, Lina” she added.

Catalina rolled her eyes. “I was kind of looking forwards to a night in, Cia” she protested gently. She knew that it was futile, no matter what she said, it was highly likely that Alicia talked her into it, but she wanted to make it apparent that she wasn’t happy about it. The idea of being alone with Fernando was one she doubted she would ever fully be comfortable with.

“Please?” Alicia whined “He’s useless at it, Lina, and I don’t want to look like a moron when we have our first dance” she added.

“You haven’t even got a date yet, Alicia” Catalina pointed out, folding the latest book closed.

“I know that, but I want him to be ready. Please, Catalina” Alicia insisted.

Catalina rolled her eyes, but sighed. “If it will get you off the phone, fine. Give me the address and I will go” she mumbled.

Alicia let out a squeak. “Gracias, Lina” she squeaked before she reeled off an address.

Catalina rolled her eyes and jotted the address down. “You owe me for this one, Cia. I put up with 2 hours picking out centerpieces, but this is a step too far” she noted stiffly.

Alicia merely offered a nonchalant laugh before she hung up the phone, causing Catalina to let out a small groan into the silent room. It irked her, the way that Alicia got her to do things, but she knew it was easier than the alternative. If she said no, then the chances were that Alicia would kick up a fuss and make it appear that Catalina was bitter and petty.

~#~
Twirling a strand of blonde hair around her finger, Catalina eyed the door of the dance studio, attempting to rationalize going inside on her sister’s behalf. She didn’t want to do it, she didn’t like being alone with Fernando, but she knew if she didn’t do it, then Alicia would throw a fit, something that Catalina didn’t want to be responsible for. Twisting her hair for a second longer, she moved to take a step forwards, only to rock back onto her heel, a sigh falling out of her mouth.

“Let me guess”

Catalina jumped at the sound of Fernando’s voice, her hand moving to rest over her chest.

“Your sister sent you in her place?” the striker added, ignoring the way that she had jumped.

“She said that she couldn’t make it and asked me to stand in. According to her, you’re dreadful and could use all the help you can get before the big day” Catalina explained, turning to look at him.

Fernando shook his head. “She’s not an expert either” he quipped “Did she mention why she couldn’t make it?” he posed, his eyebrow arched questioningly.

Catalina shook her head. “No, only that I needed to come and stand in” she mused.

“That’s not necessary” Fernando noted, shaking his head gently “One missed lesson will not make us any worse off” he pointed out.

Catalina nodded. “That’s what I said, but Cia wasn’t having any of it. She insisted that I come and that I make sure that you do the lesson” she mused, her teeth gently nibbling on the corner of her lip.

Fernando sighed. “How pissed do you think she would be if we skipped it?” he murmured.

“Have you seen her in full-on bitch mode yet?” Catalina teased, offering him the slightest smile.

“Then we should probably go in” Fernando noted, his stare fixed on the studio ahead of them “If you’re alright with it of course” he added.

Catalina rolled her eyes. “You need to stop asking things like that” she murmured softly. It was a recurring theme, whenever she was with Alicia and Fernando, the striker would always go out of his way to ensure that she was OK with whatever, and it was making things a little harder on her. She wasn’t a porcelain doll and didn’t need him to check with her. It wasn’t like she couldn’t handle herself.

Fernando tilted his head. “Like what?” he posed.

Catalina sighed. “I am not some child, Nando” she murmured “You don’t need to constantly ask if I am Ok or whatever. I can look after myself and whilst it is still strange to see you and Cia together, I am not likely to just break down in tears. So please, if you could just stop asking” she noted, offering him a small look just to gage the expression on his face.

Fernando frowned. He had thought he was doing the right thing. “Ok” he noted “If you want me to stop, I will. I just wanted to make sure that you’re Ok with everything, Lina” he mused.

Catalina shook her head softly. “You and I haven’t dated in 8 years, Fernando. What sort of person would I be if stood around stamping my feet and demanding that you give up on what you have with Cia? You’re a grown man, you’re in love, and I am perfectly OK with that” she explained gently.

Fernando nodded. “Good” he replied shortly.

“Good” Catalina replied “So, now that it out of the way, do you want to get inside and get this over with?” she posed.

Fernando nodded his head and pushed the door open, allowing her to pad inside ahead of him.

~#~
“Hold her closer, Senor Torres” The instructor insisted, shaking his head.

“I am holding her close” Fernando replied.

“You’re holding her like she is a bag of trash you’re trying to throw out” the instructor quipped “This is your new bride” he added.

Fernando shook his head gently and shifted his arms, moving to hold Catalina a little closer. It was strange, having his hands on the blonde, but he had opted to ignore it. It was only one lesson, one time, and he didn’t want to fixate, even if his stomach had flipped when he had taken her hand, he didn’t want it to cause a problem.

“You can hold me, Nando” Catalina murmured as the teacher padded away, yelling at another couple “It’s not like you’re trying to cop a feel” she added.

“I know” he mused “I just feel a little…”

“I know the feeling” Catalina mused “But if this helps you to not look like a moron when you’re dancing on your wedding day, I am all for it. I know Cia would never let it go if you made her look like an idiot” she explained gently as Fernando moved to guide her around the room.

“I am not that bad at this” Fernando quipped.

“You’re actually not” Catalina replied.

Fernando scoffed. “Did you have to sound so surprised?” he posed.

Catalina giggled. “I have seen you dance before. Let’s just say that it doesn’t surprise me that Cia thinks you need lessons” she teased.

“You’re no ballerina either, Lina” he replied.

“I don’t have to dance in front of hundreds of people at my wedding in the near future” she quipped smartly.

Fernando shook his head, earning a small laugh from the blonde, a sound that he had missed immensely.

“What do you have planned after this?” he posed, swaying her gently.

Catalina tilted her head. “Why?” she posed warily.

“Because I don’t have any plans and I would love to have an actual catch up with you. It has been years, Lina” he enthused softly.

“Fernando…”

“Dinner” he interjected “One dinner, some talk, and then I will take you home. I want to catch up with you, Lina, and I think I could do us some good” he explained with a hopeful smile on his face.

Catalina studied the expression on his face before she nodded her head. “Alright” she conceded softly “Dinner” she added.

Fernando smiled gently and gifted her hand a small squeeze. He just wanted to put an end to the awkwardness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)