We Took the Fall

76: You Make Sense

Catalina shifted a little in her seat before she flicked her eyes up towards her sister, sparing her a small nervous smile. “You look good” she murmured softly.

Alicia, who was stood beside her sister’s seat, smiled a little before she moved to sit down, taking the seat the Flori had vacated when she had excused herself and Esther from the table. “You don’t have to look so nervous, Cat” she mused softly “I am not here to bring you trouble. I was passing by and saw you and I thought that…I thought we could use a talk” she mused softly. She knew that Catalina was wary, as soon as the blonde had set eyes on her, she had looked apprehensive, but Alicia wanted to soothe her concerns. She had little intention of causing her little sister any trouble.

Catalina offered her a slightly dubious look before she nodded. “Alright” she murmured softly.

“You look good, Cat” Alicia mused softly “I mean, you had a baby a little while ago didn’t you?” she posed, trying to spark a conversation. She knew that Catalina was uncertain, since the incident between Fernando and her had occurred, the two sisters had seen very little of one another, but Alicia merely wanted them to talk. She wanted to start to make amends with younger sister.

“I did” Catalina confirmed “A little boy, Felix” she added.

“I have a boy and a girl, Emilia and Joseph” Alicia mused “They’re a little younger than Felix is though” she added as she moved to collect her phone, showing off the latest picture she had of her twins.

Catalina smiled a little at the picture before she rested back in her seat, shifting a little. “Alicia…”

“I’m sorry, Catalina” Alicia interjected softly.

“You are?” Catalina breathed, her expression more than a little surprised.

Alicia nodded her head. “I behaved like a brat” she noted gently.

“Alicia…”

“You don’t have to make excuses for me” Alicia cut in softly, not missing the kind expression on her sister’s face “I behaved badly, Cat, and I hurt you, and Fernando, and I shouldn’t have done. You two are…you two make a lot more sense than we ever did” she added gently.

Catalina eyed her for a moment before she shook her head, a timid look on her face “I never meant to get in the middle of your relationship, Alicia” she noted gently “I should have excused myself sooner and let you and Fernando get on with it. I never meant to cause you a problem” she insisted softly. She felt bad, even if Alicia had been the one to cheat on Fernando, and she wanted to apologize, even if it wasn’t entirely necessary, she wanted her sister to know that she hated that she had caused her a problem.

Alicia spared a shake of her head, a small smile on her face. “I didn’t love him, Cat, not really” she mused softly.

“You seemed to” Catalina refuted.

“I thought I did” Alicia clarified “I thought that I wanted to marry him, but I know that that would have been a mistake. I would have only ended up hurting him further down the line and it was best that it ended when it did. He got to be happy with you and I got the chance to meet my boyfriend and have my two beautiful children” she enthused softly.

Catalina admired the warm look on her sister’s face for a moment before she shook her head. “You know, we’re engaged” she murmured softly.

“You are?” Alicia squeaked.

Catalina nodded. “He proposed before Felix was born” she noted gently “We’re due to get married on December 31st” she revealed gently.

Alicia was quiet for a moment before she smiled, gently reaching out to squeeze Catalina’s hand. “I’m so happy for you” she breathed kindly.

“You sure?” Catalina squeaked nervously “Because if you weren’t, it’d be fine. I know it’s a little weird, you two were engaged and now…”

“Catalina, it’s fine” Alicia grinned, squeezing her hand gently once more.

“You don’t have to say it if it’s not true” Catalina clarified softly “I know it’s not the ideal scenario” she added.

“It’s not” Alicia agreed with a small nod “But I am happy for you, Catalina. From what papa says, you two are wonderful together and I don’t want to ruin that for you. Is it a little odd? Yeah, it is, but I want the best for you and it would appear that that is Fernando” she insisted softly. There was no getting away from it, it was a little odd that Fernando had had relationships with both of them, but Alicia didn’t want to cause trouble for her sister. From what their father had told her of the way Fernando and Catalina were, Alicia knew that they were happy and she wanted to keep it that way.

Catalina spared her another shy look before she quirked a small smile. “Gracias, Cia” she mused softly.

“I really am sorry, Cat” Alicia noted gently “I made a mess of things and I hurt you, I hurt Fernando, and I am sorry for it. You didn’t deserve it, the way I treated you, the way madre treated you, and I hope you can accept my apology” she insisted gently. She knew that it was a long shot, she had caused a lot of trouble for both Fernando and Catalina, but she wanted to at least try. She had missed her sister and wanted the chance to make things right between them.

Catalina offered her a slightly uncertain look before she nodded. “I appreciate it, Cia” she noted softly “But it is going to take a while for me to entirely forgive you. It hurt me, Cia, badly, and I know you cheating on Fernando hurt him, even if he did intend to break up with you. It’s not something we can just forgive lightly” she explained carefully.

Alicia nodded. “I understand” she noted softly “But I would like for us to try. I’d like to be around when my little sister gets married” she added with a kind smile.

Catalina’s cheeks warmed a little at the mention of her impending wedding before she shook her head, something which made Alicia smile gently. “I’d like that” Catalina mused softly.

Alicia nodded her head before her phone beeped, causing her to offer her sister another smile. “I have to get back” she noted softly “But we should meet up sometime. Me and David, you and Fernando, I think it would be good for us” she enthused as she pushed herself to her feet.

Catalina nodded before she stepped towards her sister, offering her a tentative hug. She knew that it was going to take a little while, whilst their conversation had been cordial, Alicia had caused both Fernando and Catalina lot of trouble and it wasn’t going to be forgotten lightly, but Catalina wanted to try, even if it did prove in vain, she wanted to at least make an attempt to make amends.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comments :)