Status: on hold

Mitchum and Me

Five

CALLUX
"I mean, look at the past girls you've dated. We're just trying to help."

Mom is staring at her hands as she tells me (and the entire household) how horrible I am with the ladies. Mom smiles at Harriet once she places a fresh plate of curry and rice in front of her.

I purse my lips.

"Gabby!" Mitchum adds happily. I see my brother grinning while he blissfully joins Mom and I’s conversation about my stained love life.

I frown. "What about her?"

"You dated her a couple weeks ago. She was weird."

"Not." I pout while spooning my dinner into my mouth.

Mitchum counters, "She stole your bow tie while running off with one shoe."

"The one shoe thing was romantic!” I plead. "Just like the princess movies."

Mom blankly stares at me. "Are you really making a final judgment based on a fairy tale that ends badly?"

“Callux,” Dad abruptly says. From his silence, I forget he’s here. “You need to stop horsing around.” Of course, he couldn't have said it any other way. “Now, eat your delicious meal and stop talking about that long list of failures.”

▽△▽


JANIYA
“Let's not talk about this any more.”

Mom suggests it yet here she is thinking about it harder than anyone else in the room.

I stiffly sit in the wooden chairs, as I face my Mom and Dad across the dining table.

“I do think you should give it some time before you make your final decision.” Dad lightly says.

Mom gives Dad a long look before she focuses on me. “Jan, there are some great, affordable schools here.”

“Now, Odette.” Dad sighs and places a hand on her hand. He tries to smile. “Just think about it, sweetie.”

I do not know if that is said to comfort me or my mother.