Status: on hold

Mitchum and Me

Seven

CALLUX
“Aren’t you going to answer that?”

I look down at my phone and toss it across the couch; it continues to vibrate while I decide to shrug it off.

“Nah.”

My buddy, Denny, darts his eyes between me and my Android. He raises an eyebrow that screams uhhhh, why’d you throw your phone like that? He doesn’t say anything at first so he just refills my cup with white rum, orange juice, and sprite.

After he jerks his thumb towards the couch and phone, Denny asks, “Who was that?”

I chug down the drink and spat, “No one.”

▽△▽


JANIYA
Mom’s finishing up her dessert while talking to Shona. Dad’s quietly stuffing Harriet’s pie into his face. I play around with my spoon, as I watch the ice cream melt on top of the warm crust.

The boy named Mitchum adjusts his tie before shutting off his phone. “Uh, mom? He’s not answering. Maybe his phone died?”

Mitchum takes the seat across from me and begins to devour his piece of apple pie. His mother, Shona, slowly nods before sipping her wine. “Perhaps so.”

His father, Edison, looks at his watch before apologizing, “I don’t know what has gotten into him.”

My mother pipes, “Both of you hush. Don’t worry about it. I’m sure Jan and Callux will meet some time again.”

The way she says again twists my stomach.

Shona places her glass down and looks at me. I watch the corners of her mouth quirks up. “How about you and Cal meet up since he wasn't able to make it dinner?”

My mouth opens, my eyes widen and my face flushes. “Oh, I wouldn't want to be a bother.”

“Nonsense!” My mom grabs my hand and squeezes it. “That is a great idea, Shona.”

I croak. “Really, I don’t want to bother to him.”

Shona beams. “I’m sure Callux would be happy to be with you.”

I drop my hands under the table and start to pick my nails. My legs begin to shake and palms begin to sweat.

My forced smile fades the moment I peer at Mitchum.

He shows off a half-smile before adding, “I’m sure he’ll like it, as well.”

Oh, my my my.
♠ ♠ ♠
NOW IT SHALL GET INTERESTING