Status: on hold

Mitchum and Me

Eight

CALLUX
“I see you agreed to play a round of mom’s dating game,” Mitchum says while eyeing me. He's sporting a lopsided grin.

I didn’t really have a choice.

While rolling up my sleeves, I notice that he swiftly walks into my room.

“Don’t you knock?”

“Not if you're looking like that.” He lets out a small snicker and adds, “You don't even live here anymore, so I can come into this room like it’s nothing.”

Mitchum’s tone seems dull but I let it go.

“Well brother, how do I look?”

“Like a golden Berumen.”

I roll my eyes.

While lifting my shoulders in a half shrug, I sigh, “I don't even know where to take her.”

▽△▽


JANIYA
There's nothing worse than your mom forcing you to go on a date with her boss's son.

Before walking out of the house, my mother is standing over me. She's holding a hand on her heart, smiling ear to ear.

“Awww, look at you, Jan. You're going on your first date!”

I force a smile on my lips, telling her I'll be home soon (because my midterms' are a bitch).

While mom is still beaming over the fact that I am going on a date, Callux pulls up in our garage. His car is tinted so I can't see him, not that I hope to see his face but because he's so mysterious. From the times I've seen him, I noticed that his smiles are rare and that he only ever showed one expression on his face: confusion.

But when Callux walks up to the door and puts a hand out to shake my mother's hand, something about him makes my eyes widen.

He's smiling.

“Good evening, Odette, how are you?”

“I'm fine! How are you? You look so dashing, Callux.”

“Thank you.” Callux turns to me and flashes me another sharp smile. He holds up a hand. “Janiya, are you ready to go?”

I idiotically nod and cup my hand into his palm.

Ready as I ever will be.