Status: on hold

Mitchum and Me

One

CALLUX
"What girl do I have the pleasure of meeting this time?" I ask our mother as I throw a wink at Mitchum, who happens to be standing next to me in the kitchen.

Mom throws me a displeasing look, which stops me from grinning. She places a hand on her hips. "Callux, you can't keep thinking these gatherings are some kind of a high school hook up."

I want to roll my eyes. "I was kidding."

"Half kidding," Mitchum adds behind me. He is leaning against the kitchen doorframe, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Your father and I," Mom starts, "think it's time for you to meet somebody, settle down, maybe get your priorities straightened out. I mean, look at you Callux, you can’t keep living this life you call surviving."

"I'm aware," I say quickly.

"And we feel like these gatherings we're hosting aren't doing you justice."

I knit my eyebrows together. "That's because you let girls like her into our home." I nod my head at the direction of the girl with the messy bun from the main hall and let out a heavy sigh. "Whose family is she from?"

Mom squints at the girl standing alone on the tip of the walkway and raises an eyebrow. "Janiya?" she shrieks. "That's Odette's daughter." Mom pauses and looks at me warily. She watches me shrug and firmly says, "Our secretary's daughter."

Mitchum sniffs a laugh. "Call, you're so fucked up, man."

Mom snaps her attention to my brother and shakes her head at him. "Mitchum E. Berumen, watch your language."

▽△▽


JANIYA
Mom is gripping my wrist.

“There’s Mitchum, Callux, Mr. Edison and,” Mom nods in the direction of a lady near the pantry entrance, “Shona. You know Shona, Janiya.”

Sometimes I wonder why mom brings me to these dinners. It floods with a bunch of high-class shoes and pants that don’t know a single meaning behind their cash and greed. All these people do is show and tell their goodies and gifts, leaving behind the real thought of their happiness, mainly because happiness is costless. None of these people consider this, therefore, they want the most expensive kind of affection.

“Callux is in one of the best Business Schools in the state,” Mom says, as she breaks my thoughts. “Can’t say he isn’t following his father’s footsteps.” She says more quietly, “I suppose he’s a good boy.”

Now Mom sounds pathetic.
♠ ♠ ♠
yo, callux is an ass
*singing* I'm so excited