Status: on hold

Mitchum and Me

Two

CALLUX
"Mom!" I call out as I closed the main door. "I'm home. Is dad here?"

A giggle echoes around me. A giggle not worthy of a ripe fruit.

"Mom?" I repeat, slowly frowning at the sound of another person's voice.

"Callux? Is that you?" Mom's voice grows louder as I see her coming from the patio. As she is wiping her fingers with a small cocktail napkin, she tilts her head, slightly confused to see me. "Is it the weekend already? What are you doing home, sweetie?"

As I hike up my backpack, I shake away the unknown voice coming from our lanai. I say, "I needed, uh, I need dad for an assignment."

"I wish I knew you were stopping by," Mom says as she turns around, walking towards her guest. She drops her napkin in the trash bin near the table outside and sits next to two guests who had no meaning to me. "I could've asked Harriet to make an extra bowl of tomato soup." She winks at the lady on her right. "It was good. Wasn't it good, Odette?"

"Harriet needs to give me that recipe of hers!" The lady named Odette exclaims.

On the corner of my eye, I see mom leaning back into her chair. She's eyeing me closely, probably hoping my responses won't be mediocre.

"I've heard many things about you and Mitchum, Callux," Odette smiles at me with a toothy grin. She leans forward and rests her elbows on the table. Odette looks towards the girl on her right. "Janiya, make use of that voice of yours." She taps Janiya's wrist and looks up at me again. "Callux, this is my daughter, Janiya."

I notice mom eyeing me harshly as the lady introduced Janiya. I recognize the look too quickly.

I look at Mom's guests softly and plant a forged smile on my face.

Janiya's lips lift into a stiff smile as she quickly looks away from any eye contact with me. I notice that her hair is tossed to the side, parting softly to the right. She folds her hands on her lap, whispering a small hello.

"Hey, nice to meet you," I say quickly to Janiya and her mother. I look at mom, scratching my nose. "Is Mitchum home?"

"Upstairs."

▽△▽


JANIYA
Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God.