Status: on hold

Mitchum and Me

Four

CALLUX
“I’m not really a school-orientated kind of guy.”

“Berumen’s were never really into school,” Mitchum agrees. He shrugs. “But I kind of like it.”

I raise my eyebrows at my younger brother. “That program must be doing you good, huh?”

Mitchum quickly nods. “It's great. I really think I did a good job picking my major.”

I slouch into my seat and say, “And that’s why you'll be the family’s hope and joy after I fuck things up.”

He laughs for a second before solemnly saying, “Don't say that. You're doing fine, though, right?”

I want to say I'm doing fine but I can't help but only say the truth to my brother.

I sniff. “Like I said, I'm not really a school-orientated kind of guy.”

▽△▽


JANIYA
“He's weird.”

“He's rich, though,” Ria happily says.

I squint at Ria. “That isn't relevant to the topic.”

“But, yo, Jan, think about,” Ria widely smiles. “Graduate school would be a guaranteed win. I'm sure Callux Berumen would be able to afford your education. His dad is the founder of Berumen Inc., one of the biggest travel agencies in the state.”

I frown at my best friend.

“I don't think money would be his biggest issue.” I softly say before shaking my head. “Callux has his own little circle to play with and I don't think I'm near his choice of circumference.”

Okay, math wiz. Sorry I brought up the money issue.” Ria raises her notebook in the air. “Let's go over these notes before my brain explodes.”