Chapped Lips and Cold Kisses

Not-a-Date Date and Big News

It was now Thursday and Mela was preparing to be a third wheel to Ville and his date. Erm…. Meeting his girlfriend.

Her makeup was finished and was working on her hair when the doorbell rang. “Coming!” She shouted even though it was impossible for them to hear her from behind the door. Some point during the week Ville had made plans to pick her up, so she knew to expect him. She quickly rimmed her eyes with liquid liner, putting her signature wing at the end before she ran downstairs to get the door.

It was Ville as she had imagined, “Hello, Mela. You look especially beautiful tonight.”

She felt her face heating up and tried to break eye contact, so her blush wasn’t visible.

“I’m afraid the plans have been changed.” Ville said, closing the door behind him and taking a seat at the kitchen table.

Mela poured them both a glass of wine, and got out a third glass for Ville’s date.

“No need for that,” He said stopping Mela in her tracks, “Suzanne can’t make it tonight. She came down with the flu.”

“Oh, that’s terrible. You could have just called and cancelled.” Mela said, sitting down across from him at the table.

“I know, but I figured why not spend time with my little girl.” Ville took a sip of wine.

“Ugh Ville that makes it sound like I’m your child.” Mela groaned, not wanting to be his little girl. She wanted to be his girl, plain and simple.

“You’re like 5’2 and the tiniest person I know. My little Mela,” He joked.

“So what do you have planned for tonight?” She changed the subject so he couldn’t see how desperately she wanted to be his.

“We have dinner reservations at 19:00.”

“Where at?” She asked.

Ville shook his head, “It’s a secret.”
He downed the wine in one gulp, “I’m ready to go when you are.”

Mela couldn’t believe her luck. Ville is here, alone, because his date got the flu and now she gets to spend an entire evening with him, alone. She smiled to herself as she sipped on her wine and listened to Ville talking about a new song he’d wrote.

It was 18:40 when they left the house, Ville leading the way to the secret place. They walked even though it was very cold outside, both of them were bundled up in many layers. Mela racked her brain for restaurants within walking distance from her flat. Before she could think of any, Ville stopped. They were in front of a little Italian place that Mela had passed many times but never stopped in. She looked up at Ville, “Good choice Valo.”

“I hope so.” He laughed and took Mela’s hand, pulling her up to the restaurant.

“Reservations for Valo.” Ville said to the nice blonde hostess. She grinned at them and sat them at a table near the back. Mela noticed the table was only set for two. If Ville was bringing Suzanne shouldn’t the reservation be for three? He must have called and changed the reservation already, she thought to herself.

It was a romantic atmosphere for only being friends. There was a single candle lit in the middle of the table and the lights were dimmed. Mela took it all in and wondered whether Ville had this planned and didn’t have a girlfriend to begin with. Things like that didn’t happen to Mela, they only happened in movies and daydreams.

They both looked at the menus in silence, well, Mela pretended to look at the menu in silence. She already knew that she was getting a salad. The most basic, healthiest one they have.

The waitress came over and poured two glasses of water, “Can I get you two anything else?”

Ville looked up and said, “Yes, bring us your best wine please.”

The waitress smiled at me, “Anything else?”
I shook my head and she nodded, “I’ll be right back with your wine sir, madame.”

“Madame Mela.” Ville teased from across the table.
The candle hid his goofy smile, so Mela moved it to the side.

“How are things in Mela-land?” Ville asked.

Mela decided to tell him of the plans she and Essie had made, she knew he’d be happy for her but disappointed that she would be gone, possibly for a long time if the audition went well.

“Mela is going to New York City.” Mela said in third person.

“What? When?” Ville’s eyes grew big as he waited for the brunette to explain.

“Remember the audition I told you about?”
He nodded.
“Essie and I are going to New York next Saturday. We will be there at least a week.”

“and if they like you….?” Ville trailed off with pride and sadness in his voice.

“Then I’ll be a New Yorker!”

He smiled at my faux excitement. “Good, I’m happy for you Mela. You’re going to do great.”

“Thanks,” Mela’s smile fell, “I don’t know about being so far away from home, I’ll get home sick.”

“Just promise me you’ll keep in touch.” Ville said, reaching across the table to envelop her hands.

She smiled at the touch, “Of course, I wouldn’t dream of like without my Ville.”

He let go, patting her hands before pulling away. The waitress came back with their wine and they ordered their meals. The dinner was uneventful after Mela’s big news. The two ate and chatted about Ville’s band and what Mela would do in New York. Mela didn’t know that there was pain behind Ville’s eyes and voice and Ville didn’t know she felt the same way.