Chapped Lips and Cold Kisses

Secrets and Lies

It was now Thursday, two days until Mela and Essie left for New York City. Essie was super excited as she’d never left her home country before. Mela was enthused mostly by her friend’s enthusiasm. She’d been to the states before and didn’t think it was anything special. The two girls decided to do some shopping before their trip, Essie picking out everything she laid her eyes on, and Mela following along looking at her phone. It was Ville who was texting her.

Ville:
What are you doing today my mela girl?

Mela:
Shopping w/ Essie. You?

Ville:
Are you gonna hang out with me before you leave?

Mela:
Of course. I have to work at the shop tomorrow, so it would have to be today.

Ville:
Do you think you can get away from blondie for a while?

Mela glanced at her friend who was holding up dresses to herself in the mirror. Mela hated shopping.

Mela:
Meet me at starbucks in 20

Ville:
K. See ya soon love<3

“Hey Ess?”
“Yeah?” she turned to her friend.

“I have some errands I have to run. Do you mind if I leave?”

She shook her head, smiling wickedly, “No need to make up lies Mela. I know you wanna go see Ville. And no I don’t mind.”

Mela groaned, “How do you do that woman?”

“Go to your Prince Charming.”

Mela rolled her eyes before saying her goodbyes and hightailing it out the door. The starbucks was just down the street, so she walked, her hands stuffed in her pockets, and her hood on to block the wicked cold.

Ville was already at Starbucks, after having downed a shot or two at the bar next door, waiting for Mela when she arrived. He’d decided that he was going to go ahead and tell her what he’s been hiding for years; he loves her. Not just best friend love either, he is absolutely and completely in love with her.
“Hey stranger.” His tiny brunette sat across from him at the small table.
Ville couldn’t help but grin just by the mere presence of Melena Fagerholm. She was like the sun in the way that he couldn’t look directly at her for his fear of her finding love in his eyes, but he appreciated her, she gave him the power to live.

“Hello M’lady.” Ville greeted. “It’s pretty frigid out there today.”

He noticed that she was rubbing her hands together and blowing on them to warm them up, so he decided to grab them in his hands and do it for her. Bad idea.

She giggled her perfect laugh, “What are you even doing?”

“What does it look like?” he asked matter-of-factly.

“I know what your doing but why? I’m a big girl, I can do it myself.” Mela stated.

This would be the perfect time to tell her, Ville thought. He stopped trying to warm her hands and merely held them in his, looking down at their hands intertwined, he grew quiet, “Mela, there was no Suzanne. I don’t have a girlfriend.”

She quirked an eyebrow, “Are you gonna tell me why or do I have to pry for more information?”

“Good thing you’re sitting.” He joked then took a deep breath preparing himself to tell his best friend of six years that he was in love with her.

She was looking at him curiously, then jumped when she heard her name from the other side of the café. “MELA!” It was Essie. Fucking Blondie, Ville thought. “I didn’t know you guys would be here. I thought you’d be at like a place, uh, with a bed.”

“Ess, go away.” Mela groaned then turned her attention back to Ville. “Ignore her. What was it that you were gonna say?”

Essie’s outburst gave him time to change his mind about telling her, he had chickened out.

“Um, I liked someone named Suzanne but we weren’t dating. I invited her to hang out with us and she stood me up,” He lied through his teeth and mentally kicked himself with each word.

“Oh. Makes sense, I guess.” Mela replied.

He felt Essie giving him a weird stare, she knew. Mela was too blissfully ignorant to think Ville, who she thought of as a big brother figure, would actually be in love with her.