Chapped Lips and Cold Kisses

A Phone Call and Two Confessions

Ville couldn’t sleep that night. He kept mentally slapping himself as he replayed the events of the night. It all happened so fast, and she kissed back, does that mean she wanted him just as bad as he wanted her? Or did he just imagine the passion with which she kissed back? Why did he run away like a fucking scaredy cat? He groaned and turned over in bed, “She hates me.”

At 2:45 am his phone started ringing, he didn’t know anyone who would be calling this late, it had to be Mela who would be up getting ready to go to the airport. He was right, MELENA<3, flashed across the screen. He took a deep breath and answered, “Hello?”

“I couldn’t sleep,” She said sounding like a zombie, “I have to settle things with you so I can sleep on the plane or I’m gonna be a complete piece of shit at the audition. So, tell me, Ville Valo, why did you makeout with me in your car seemingly out of nowhere?”

Ville wasn’t sure what to say, “Um…”

“Don’t shit me Valo, I’m dead serious, why did you makeout with me?” She asked forcefully and Ville knew he risked their friendship by answering with the truth and by not answering, so he might as well tell the truth.

“I think I’m in love with you.” He finally mustered up the courage to say.

Silence.

“Hello?”
“Ville, I think I’m in love with you too. Scratch that, I don’t think, I know.”

His heart was beating so fast at Mela’s confession. This was everything he could’ve wanted in a response.

He sighed in relief, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Why didn’t you?” She countered.

“I didn’t want to lose my best friend. My everything. It would’ve crushed me.”

“That’s why I didn’t say anything.” Her voice sounded tired, but happy. Very happy.

“Now we’ve confessed our love and you’re leaving for America. That’s gonna suck.”

“It will, but I’ll always be a phone call away. Speaking of America, I have a flight in two hours, so I should probably get going.”

“Yeah, you should. I love you,” It felt so weird saying it in a romantic way instead of a friendly way, “I’ll miss you. Call me whenever you can.”

“Of course,” She said. “I love you a million times, I love you.”

“Goodbye love.

“Goodbye Ville.”

Ville could go to sleep now and with a smile on his face. Mela loved him. MELA LOVED HIM. He couldn't get enough of that thought.