Status: In Progress

When Love Marches In

Ch.3

Jessica sat up in bed running her fingers through her hair giving out a sigh. After waking up from her nap yesterday and trying to help Doc out at the pub, he told her to go home early. Jessica was so unfocused last night that she took and served the wrong orders, spilled drinks everywhere and even broke a few shot glasses by accident. Giving out a sigh Jessica hauled herself out of bed and to the dresser to get some clean clothes. As she got dressed her mind wandered to the twins that used to live just below her apartment. Were they okay? Did they get into a fight? Were they released yet? With that last question still in her mind, Connor's words replayed in her head. "We're gonna come back fer it when we ge' out." Her mind flashed back to the gift bag that Connor wanted it taken to Doc's, if Connor and Murphy were going to get out, McGinty's would be the first place they would go. Throwing the clean clothes on and slipping in her tennis shoes, Jess ran her fingers through her hair before grabbing her purse and headed out the door.

Since McGinty's was right down the street from the apartment complex it didn't take her very long to get there. Opening the door up to the pub she looked around the pub but didn't see the boys anywhere.

"Have they been in here yet Doc?" Jessica asked as she walked around the bar then frowned when she saw the gift bag was gone.

"N-n-no they haven't."

"Where's the thing I brought in yesterday then?"

"I put them u-u-upstairs. What's in t-t-the bag anyway? Fuck! Ass!"

"You don't want to know." Jessica whispered so the few patrons that were in there couldn't hear what she was saying.

"How are y-y-you holding up?"

"I've been better. And I'll go out today to get you a few new shot glasses since I broke some last night."

"Lass, you don't have to d-d-do that. You're worried about the b-b-boys."

"I know I don't have to but I want to."

"Want te what?"

Jessica jumped at the sudden Irish accent voice that was behind her. Twirling around she came face to face with the twins that she'd been worried about all night and day.

"Connor! Murphy!" Jessica launched herself towards them.

They laughed their boyish laughs as they hugged her. "Miss us lass?" Murphy asked as he let go of her so Connor could have a turn.

"Of course I missed you guys." She answered as Connor engulfed her in a hug.

All of Jessica's worry and fears seemed to fade away thanks to Connor's bear hug. It felt like an eternity had past before the two of them broke apart.

"Told ye ye'd be seein' us soon." Connor grinned down at her. "How ye been?"

Jess had to stop herself from spilling the truth. What she wanted to say was "I'm better now that you're here" but she didn't.

"Been doing good. Kinda missed having you two using a broom to hit your ceiling to wake me up." That part was true, she did miss them waking her up.

"Trust me, we miss wakin' ye up too." Connor grinned.

"Hey Doc, where's t'e bag Jess brought?" Murphy asked.

"I p-p-put it upstairs in the spare room."

"T'ank ye Doc." Connor said. "I'll be right back." He walked past Jessica and went up the stairs.

Jessica's eyes followed his form and her eyes stayed planted on the stairs after he vanished.

"Ye should go tell 'im lass. Ye'll feel better."

"What are you talking about?" Jess asked looking over to Murphy.

"I t'ink ye know." He sassed at her with a smug smile. "Hell ye might even get t'e response ye want."

That had Jessica's eyebrow raising...was Murphy trying to say that Connor liked her the same way she liked him? Or was Murphy just being the mischievous Murphy? Either way Jess had to find out one way or another and this sounded like the best time. Turning on her heel she left Murphy and Doc down in the bar as she went up the stairs slowly. Every step Jessica took the more nervous she got. How was she supposed to tell him? Just come out and say it? Or hint around it? How would Connor react to the information? Would he feel the same? Or would he give her rejection. Making it to the top step she heard Connor's harsh tone in a different language, if Jessica had to guess, he was swearing like a sailor. Leaning against the door frame she watched him search everywhere for the gift bag that was said to be in this room.

"You know, normal people would ask exactly where you're things are instead of just going to try to find it."

Connor gave her a slight glare which Jessica chuckled because she knew he didn't mean anything by it. Walking into the room she closed the door which had Connor raising his eyebrow.

"Jess, lass wha' are yer doin'?"

"Doc usually keeps your things in this small closet." She stated as she opened the closet door.

He walked up behind her and peered in it. "Ah. See now if I knew t'is closet existed I'd looked in it first." His eyes landed on the gift bag. "T'ere ye are." He bent down and picked it up then looked down at Jessica. "T'ank ye Jess."

"Anytime."

"Ye okay Jess? Ye go' t'at look on yer face." Connor rested his empty hand on her shoulder.

"I'm fine...just..." Her voice trailed off.

"Jus' what?"

"Just..." Her mind and heart were screaming at her, telling her to just come out and say it. "Just whatever you and Murphy have planned, please be careful." Jessica inwardly sighed as she started beating herself up.

"Don't worry, we'll make it back, ye'll see." Connor grinned giving Jess a one armed hug.

Jessica took in Connor's scent since she didn't know when the next time she'd ever see him before he pulled away from her.

"C'mon, let's go back down t'ere shall we?"

Nodding silently, the two of them left the spare room, went down the stairs and to the main bar.

"Alrigh'! We ready te go?" Murphy asked as he handed a shot to his brother. "t'ought we could use a shot b'fore leavin'."

Connor grinned taking the shot and clinking it against Murphy's. Jessica watched the two of them grin at each other before downing the drinks and sitting the shot glasses on the bar top.

"Time fer us te go. We'll be back." Murphy said with a grin then it faltered seeing Jessica's look.

Jessica shook her head at Murphy, giving him a 'Don't you say anything' look. Murphy gave her a soft smile and a slight nod. Murphy walked over to her and gave Jessica a hug.

"I'll make sure he's safe, just fer ye and of course, he's my brot'er." Murphy whispered in her ear then pulled away before speaking louder. "We'll be back, don't miss us too much. And stay outta trouble, lass." Murphy grinned as he backed away from her.

"You don't have to worry about me getting into trouble, I should be telling you two that." Jess said as her eyes rolled.

Of course the twins laughed at her statement as they gave Jessica another hug and kisses on her cheek before leaving.

"S-s-so what are you going to do now?"

"I'm going to go put my apron on, get to work here since I was told to go home early." She chuckled looking over to Doc. "And hope whatever those two are up to that they're safe."

"I'm sure t-t-they'll be f-f-fine Jessica. Fuck. Ass."

"Hope you're right Doc." Jessica sighed walking behind the bar to get the apron to tie around her waist. Something in the pit of her stomach told her that the twins were going to do something dangerous but for now Jess had to ignore it and tend to the patrons.