Status: In Progress

When Love Marches in 2

Ch.2

"Lass, it's t-t-time ta get up." Doc's voice came through the closed door as he gently knocked on it.

"I'll be out in a minute." Ashley groaned out in agony from her pounding headache.

Squinting her eyes open, Ash rolled out of the bed then checked herself in the small mirror that was in the room. To say the very least, she looked like hammered dog shit...hair all over the place, old make-up on, wrinkled clothes and she smelled like she'd been dunked into a barrel of liquor. Combing her fingers through her hair, she finally opened the door and headed down the stairs to the bar.

"Morning Doc."

"Morning, lass."

"Do you have anything for this headache?"

Doc looked under the bar then pulled out an aspirin bottle and put it on the bar top before filling a glass with water for Ashley.

"Thanks." She took the aspirin bottle and opened it up to take a few pills out.

Closing the lid and popping the three pills into her mouth she took a big gulp of water then threw her head back to down everything.

"Have you heard anything from the boys?"

"N-n-not yet. Fuck! Ass!"

"They're probably sleeping their hangovers off." Her eyes went to the clock. "Shit. A have an appointment with somebody in an hour and a half! Still gotta get home and take a shower and get some clean clothes on. I'll call you when I see the twins, okay?"

Ashley leaned over the bar and gave Doc a quick hug before jetting out the front doors of the pub. The apartment wasn't that far away from McGinty's so she didn't have far to walk but Ashley had to pick up her pace if she was going to make it to the appointment on time. The apartment building was in her sight...along with police littering all around it. What the hell could've happened?

"Ma'am, you can't go any further?"

"Why not? I live here." Ashley dead panned at the officer.

"What floor and room?"

"Why does that matter?"

"Excuse him Ms..."

Ashley looked over at the suited man that had blonde hair almost to his shoulders. "Lincoln. And you are?"

"Agent Smecker." He stated showing her the FBI badge. "There's been a bit of a situation in the building...so we'd like to know which floor and room you live in." Smecker smiled politely.

"Floor five. Apartment six."

Smecker and the officer looked at each other then back to Ashley.

"Want me to take her in?" The officer asked reaching for the cuffs.

"There's no need for that." Smecker said with his hand slightly raised to signal the officer to stop.

"Would someone like to tell me what the hell is going on?" Ashley's patience was growing thin.

"Seems like there was a scuffle in the apartment you're staying in. Do you have any idea where your roomates are?"

Ashley shook her head towards Smecker and the officer. "Not a clue."

"Where were you staying at last night and part of the morning?"

"I was staying at a friend's place." She told them then spoke up again. "And yes, I have an aliby."

She could see the officer scoffing and Smecker with an impressed look on his face.

"What? I've watched enough television to know what was coming up next. I'm not stupid." Ashley crossed her arms giving them a bored look.

"So do you know are next questions?" Smecker asked in amusement.

"Who's my friend? He's the owner of the pub down the street. Would I happen to know who broke into the apartment? No, I do not since I wasn't here. I was three shets to the wind last night since it was St. Patty's day. Hence the reason why I stayed at my friend's place 'cause I couldn't even walk."

"Guess we can't ask you if you know these two then." Smecker said as he opened a folder, showing Ashley two dead bodies that were in the alleyway of the apartment building.

Ashley looked at the two dead men in the photos, yes she knew them. They came into McGinty's a few minutes after Doc told everyone that the bar was shutting down. But she wasn't going to tell them that she saw those two at the bar. That Connor and Murphy beat them and set fire to one, that was going to lead to more questions and possibly detain her. So Ashley was going to stick with the 'too drunk to remember'.

"I don't recognize them."

Smecker watched her for a moment to see if Ashley would cave but she never did. "Alright Ms. Lincoln. You're free to go." He stated putting the photos back into the folder.

"Um...am I allowed to go into my apartment? I kinda have to get clean clothes for work. Don't want to see clients smelling like I've been dunked into a barrel of booze."

"I think everything's been finger printed and photographed." The officer informed Smecker.

Ashley was about to be a smartass and comment about if they black-lit everything too but held it back with slightly tinted cheeks. Sure the boys had bed plenty of girls...not only were the one night stands' bodily fluids over the beds, so was Ashley's...all over Murphy's bed during their heat of passion a while ago.

"Not to worry Ms. Lincoln, nothing personal was photographed." Smecker said with a knowing smile even though with what he just said had two meanings behind it.

"Thanks...so am I able to go up or not?"

"This lovely officer right here will escort you up." Smecker stated with his hand on the officer's shoulder.

Ashley nodded to Smecker before the officer escorted her into the building. The two of them stayed quiet through the elevator ride. Once they got off the elevator, the officer lifted the 'Do Not Cross' tape for Ashley to go in. She ducked under the tape then gasped loudly at the sight she saw. Blood spots all over the floor, the 'shower curtain' was torn down, the floor looked like a lake and there was no toilet.

"So someone stole our toilet?"

"Not exactly." Was the only thing the officer said.

Ashley kept her mouth shut as she gathered some of her belongings. She knew if she'd ask about the investigation, the officer would say the same bullshit as in the papers, news or movies...'Can't talk about it 'cause it's still an open investigation.'

"Think I'm done now." Ashley stated zipping the bag up and walking to the door.

The officer raised the tape again and she walked under it and to the elevator shaft. Ashley had made up her mind, she was going to drop her things off at McGinty's then go hunt Rocco down since this was part his fault. If he wasn't involved with some mobster boss then the two dead guys wouldn't have found out where Connor and Murphy lived.

"Oh and Ms. Lincoln, if it's not too much trouble, could you show these two officers to the pub you were talking about." Smecker asked Ashley as soon as she came out of the apartment building.

Ashley held her tongue, she wanted to blurt out 'Do I look like a damn travel guide?' but she kept her composure and gave a nod.

"Thank you Ms. Lincoln."

"Would you like a ride to the pub?" One of the officers asked which made her eyebrow raise.

"Why would you need to drive? You'd be wasting your gas if you did that. It's in walking distance." She said as she kept walking, which the officers ended up following her.

The whole walk there, Ashley was annoyed...the officers kept trying to talk to her and she kept telling them that she'd already answered the questions and wasn't going to answer anymore but they kept bugging her. Once she opened the doors, Ashley let out a sigh of relief, she'd be able to get away from them for a few.

"Hey Doc, there's a couple of officers that want to talk to you. They've already talked my ear off." Ashley said giving a smile to Doc before going up the stairs to put her bags of personal items in the spare room.

Opening the door she looked around the small room with a sad sigh. Ashley couldn't stay here the rest of her life and there was no way she was going to find a vacant apartment in the building that she shared with the twins. Ashley knew she had to officially break down and look for a place to live...alone.

"Rocco! I'm going to kick your fucking ass!" Ashley's voice rang through the bar when she saw him come through the door with a handful of clothes. "If it wasn't for you doing what you do, they wouldn't be in this situation!" Ashley took a swing but Rocco ducked.

"Hey. Hey. They're fine. They just called me a few minutes ago to bring them some things. They're not being charged. They're being released some time tomorrow."

"Then I'm coming with you...to make sure they're alright." Ashley gave Rocco a stern look, she wasn't going to back down.

"Okay. Okay. Jeez, no need to get hormonal."

"Rocco. I'd watch what you say right now, I'm obviously not in a good mood and it's going to stay that way until the boys get out of jail." Ashley hissed.

Rocco just nodded before motioning her to follow him out the door. Ashley waved a cab down for them to get in since it was a long hike to the police station. The ride there had an uncomfortable silence. Ashley knew it wasn't Rocco's fault entirely, the twins just had too much to drink and stuck their noses where it didn't belong so they could save Doc's pub. But if Rocco 'the funny man' didn't try to crack a joke, which back fired, then there wouldn't have been a physical fight. The cab finally pulled up to the police station that was surrounded by reporters, Ashley paid the cab driver before ruffling her a bit and getting out. She didn't really want to be recognized by the police that spoke with her earlier. Her and Rocco stood on the side lines watching the media go nuts when the chief and FBI agent Smecker came out to talk to the press. Ashley turned a bit to face Rocco with her hair shielding her face.

"You okay?" Rocco whispered to Ashley.

"Yeah. Just...the blonde head FBI agent standing up there interrogating me earlier." She whispered back then listened to what the chief of police had to say.

"Okay, people. Okay. This is our official statement. The MacManus brothers are not being charged with a crime. This is a clear-cut case of self-defense. They are being released at an undisclosed time and location in accordance with their wishes." The chief started turning around and the press shot out questions, to which none got answered.

"Let's get going." Rocco said walking up the steps.

Ashley was close behind shielding her face as the two of them went through the door. They made their way to the holding cells and some of the men that were being held either cat called to Ashley or said hey to Rocco. Her and Rocco made it to the end cell to see the twins still in their robes, playing cards with two of the officers.

"Yeah!" Murphy said bouncing off the bed and to the pair that just walked in.

Murphy hugged Rocco while Connor stood and hugged Ashley then it switched, Connor and Rocco to Ashley and Murphy. Murphy and Ashley hung onto each other longer than what best friends should be hanging on to.

"Are you okay?" She mumbled into Murphy's neck, secretly taking in his scent.

"We're fine, Ash." Murphy said into her hair before letting her go.

"Wha' 'ave ye go' t'ere?" Connor asked Rocco, who was fishing something out of his shirt.

Rocco pulled out and took off the boys' rosaries then handed them to the twins, which they gladly accepted. The officers left the holding cell so Connor, Murphy, Ashley and Rocco had some visiting time.

"What happened exactly?" Ashley asked once their happy reunion settled down.

"T'is a long story lass."

"The only thing I know is the two that came into the pub last night ended up dead in the apartment building alleyway." Ashley whispered so eavesdropping ears couldn't hear. "The apartment was flooded and trashed. And Doc and I got interrogated by Boston PD."

"Lass, t'ey broke inta t'e apartment. Cuffed me ta t'e toilet 'nd took Murph as hostage. Finally broke t'e toilet off t'e ground 'nd saved Murphy."

Ashley's mouth fell open a bit, she was about to say something but an officer came to the holding cell.

"I'm sorry, but visiting hours are over."

Ashley hugged Connor and Murphy tightly as they said their goodbyes.

"We'll see ye tomorrow Ash. Promise." Murphy said letting her go.

She nodded before walking out of the holding cell block and decided to take a nice long walk back to McGinty's to get her head cleared.