Status: one / one

City of Angles

one / one

“You have to come, Kell.”

Kellin didn’t like parties. He hated them. He hated the vulnerability of being intoxicated around dancing figures with impaired vision. He hated the upbeat music pumping through the speakers even though he knew all the words to the setlist. He hated that he’d rather stand against the wall than melt into the upbeat music he hated yet knew all the words to.

“Vic’s gonna be there.”

But Kellin liked Vic. He really liked Vic. The tips of his ears and his pale cheeks flushed red. His blonde friend, Jenna, grinned, she had him hook, line, and sinker. He was pathetically infatuated with Vic Fuentes, a psychology major who never showed up to lectures completely sober.

“Rumor has it he’s gonna be dressed as an angel.”

He almost laughed. Vic was no angel. He was far from it.

Kellin closed the textbook he was supposed to be studying from and turned to face her, “what exactly am I supposed to use that information for?”

A sly look formed on her face. He knew she had a plan, she always did.


“Can you at least pretend like you’re having a good time?”

It’s been two hours since they got to the party and Kellin was being a total buzzkill. He hadn’t moved from his spot against the wall for the duration of their time there. Jenna, who was dressed as a vampire, would have been fed up with his attitude if her stomach wasn’t filled with alcohol.

“Go dance, Jen,” he moved his head towards the ‘dancefloor’, which was just a fraternity living room with the furniture pushed to the sides of the room. “I’m cool here.”

She looked warily back at her friend who gave her an encouraging smile before she dissolved in the crowd of dancing bodies.

“Jesus, you look uncomfortable.”

Kellin could practically see the smirk on his face. It didn’t matter to Kellin, though, because Vic Fuentes was actually voluntarily talking to him. Kellin took a sip from the plastic cup in his hand.

“Yeah, this isn’t really my scene.”

A small pout formed on Vic’s lips, “but, Kell, it’s Halloween.”

Kellin’s breath caught in his throat. He liked the way his nickname rolled off Vic’s tongue, like it was meant for only him to say it. He watched as Vic leaned against the same wall he was propped against.

“Like my costume?”

Kellin swallowed as his eyes travelled down Vic’s body. The white dress sat snug and clung to his slim waist while the bottom flared out as if a petticoat was underneath. He swallowed again when his eyes met Vic’s smirk, “...yeah.”

“Good,” Vic took Kellin’s drink and placed it on a CD stand next to them before taking his hand in his own. “Let’s dance.” He liked the way Vic’s hand felt in his own. He wanted Vic to hold his hand forever.

Kellin stalled and bit his lip, “t-that’s not really my thing.”

“Come on, it’s easy,” he tugged. “I’ll show you.”

Maybe it was the way he looked, or the way his chocolate eyes shined in the dimly lit room, but Kellin found himself pushing off the wall and following Vic through the sea of people. The song was fast, the type that no one knew the words, but everyone knew the tune to. Vic spun around to face Kellin and smiled, kind of like the way Kellin smiled at Jenna earlier.

“Wave your hands around, just lose control.”

Vic closed his eyes and let the music take him. It was like he was under a trance, moving his body to every note the speakers played. Kellin was hypnotized. He loved Vic’s dancing. He quickly snapped out of it when Vic grabbed his hands and jumped around.

“You like this song?”

Vic smiled bashfully (that was the first time Kellin had seen him embarrassed), “nah, I just like the beat.” They had to yell to hear each other over the music.

This was nice, Kellin thought. He liked being so close to Vic. He liked the way Vic held his hand like they were puzzle pieces. He liked feeling like it was only the two of them in the room.

Maybe he was just a hopeless romantic.

“Hey, Vic!”

Their dancing was interrupted by a bright smile paired with bright blue hair. Vic let go of Kellin’s hands and waved back at Alex, a business major who, like Kellin, liked Vic, too.

“I’m gonna get a drink.” Kellin wouldn’t be able to bear seeing Alex flirt shamelessly with Vic. He needed to get out of there. Vic bit his lip, but nodded anyway.

Instead of actually getting a drink, Kellin walked towards the stairs and sat in the corridor away from the party.

He knew he shouldn’t be jealous, he and Vic weren’t dating, but he couldn’t help but feel like he had Vic first.

“Hey.”

Kellin’s head snapped up to see Vic in an angel costume with his red blazer draped over his narrow shoulders.

“You don’t mind, do you? You left it on the couch.”

Kellin shook his head and patted the space next to him. Vic quickly sat, his bare leg leaning against Kellin’s which was covered by his red skinny jeans.

“Jenna said you’d be up here.” Kellin nodded, not really sure what to say. Vic leaned his head on Kellin’s shoulder. “Is this okay?”

The taller of the two, Kellin, swallowed, “yeah.”

“He isn’t my type.”

“What?” Kellin was confused.

“Alex, he isn’t my type. Too boring,” Vic shrugged and leaned more into Kellin’s side. “Besides, I like brunettes way more.”

That made Kellin blush, “y-you do?”

“Uh huh.”

Kellin closed his eyes and braced himself for what he was going to say next, “I like you.”

Vic pulled back and looked into Kellin’s pale blue eyes. This made Kellin panic, “s-sorry. I’m sorry. I d-don’t know why I said that. I…”

“Shut up,” Vic cut him off and cupped Kellin’s cheek with his left hand. “Just shut up.”

Kellin could feel Vic’s soft breath against his lips as his own caught in his throat. Vic moved leaned in closer to close the gap between the two.

Kellin swore he could see stars when his lips met Vic’s. He swore he could hear harps and violins. His heart was beating so fast he thought it would leap out of his chest.

Vic’s lips moved gently against Kellin’s, in a rhythm that neither of them would forget.

When they pulled apart Vic grinned, “I like you too, you dork.”
♠ ♠ ♠
honestly this sucks