Lukewarm

1

"Mack? Mack? Mackenzie? You alright?" One of the party goers asked, waving their hand in front of the host' face.

The host, Mackenzie "Mack" Lancaster, flashed her bright blue eyes onto the person who was vying for her attention.

"Yeah, sorry, just um, zoned out a little." Mack replied, flashing a weak, nervous smile to the ostensible concerned person waving their hand. She was also suppressing a glare for the person getting into her personal space.

"As I was saying, I was on my fake account, and this sleazy guy was saying all of this fucked up stuff. You HAVE to see!" Mack's over enthusiastic friend, Natalie said, shoving her iFruit phone into Mack's face.

Mack rolled her eyes, finding herself fed up with her friend's shenanigans at this party. In fact, she was tired of everyone's shenanigans. She had one guy she less-than-subtly asked to leave for hogging the games console and whining about the lack of games, bringing everyone down. One of her friends was being a mute, whilst another one wouldn't shut the fuck up. Then there was Miss "I-live-vicariously-through-a-fake-LifeInvader-profile" who had spent the past six hours talking loudly about how messed up people were. This chick actually spent about fifteen hours a day communicating with people on a fake profile of a hot girl, and was spending the entire time at the party talking about how other people were psychotic for welcoming this fake's advances.

Her housemate's friends weren't that much better, either. They were loud, and insulted her decision to go to university. One of her housemate's (Callum) friends actually started explaining to her that people go to university to get a job, and he already had a job (in a call centre) and thus was much smarter than her. Another friend of Callum's also told Mack that because she lived in the outskirts of Rockford Hills (which was still a very wealthy area, mind you) she lived in "bumfuck nowhere" because of its distance from the Los Santos city centre. It turned out this person lived in Sandy Shores. That's right, this person lived in hick central, but no, Rockford Hills was Nowhere Land according to this bright individual.

Mack sighed as she excused herself, ignoring the dirty look her friend shot her for interrupting a story she'd told a million times, as she went inside her bedroom and laid down on her bed.

Mack was barely even drunk, but felt exhausted. Not physically exhausted, it was more of an emotional feeling. She was feeling up and down a lot lately. She was usually a very optimistic girl, but lately she felt she held a lot of pessimism. She used to have a lot of friends. She had her group of close friends she could trust with anything, and then a wider circle who she could party with. Her close friends she lost one by one for petty reasons, and the circle of friends all disappeared when she exited the party scene.

Not having friends was one thing, but the thing that tormented Mack the most was the fact she had lost so many in the space of a couple of years. Was she an awful person, so bad that people would stop associating with her over her being horrible? Was she easily disposable, that her friendship was a burden more than a blessing? It was a raw feeling, but it was either one or the other, and no conclusion sat well with Mack. Then there were the people out in the lounge room trying to be her friend, and she was nit picking reasons to not be close to them. If she put in a little effort, she could have a new group of friends. But instead she sat on her bed and sulked. It was better to go through a rollercoaster of emotions, than to put herself out there and get hurt once again.

Mack rolled onto her back and stared up at her dark ceiling, as the lights were turned off. Once upon a time she was quite a popular girl. Late high school and especially early university, everyone liked her, and she got invited to the most exclusive parties in the area. Now she had let herself go, and was alone. Her greatest fear had come true, and she too afraid to do anything about it.

She heaved herself off her bed to go turn her light off, not even bothering to say good night to anyone at her party, not feeling in the mood to do anything but crawl into bed and drift into sleep, where she could be away from all her superficial problems.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone, I've been inspired to write after stumbling across some really amazing GTA V stories lately. My OC Mackenzie isn't the strongest character out there yet, but some people may feel they can relate to her. She'll develop, I promise.