The Prank

One/One

Everyone restrained from laughing behind the camera, trying to avoid the microphone and camera from picking up any other background noise. To my left was the cameraman and to my right was Cabbie, who gave me a quick wink before looking at the man talking to his mother on the phone as part of a Valentine's Day prank for TSN's Cabbie Presents.

"Couple months ago I was in Colorado with Tyson and I went out for dinner with him," he started and waited for his mother to reply before he continued. "And I met this girl and I kind of fell in love with her right away."

My heart sped up as he looked directly at me with his boyish smile. It was true. Jamie and I had met back in Colorado a couple of months ago. I had been a waitress at the restaurant he and his friend were dining in and we exchanged phone numbers before both men even determined who would be paying for their dinner with their credit cards dropped in a hat. I offered to give them a discount with dessert on the house but Jamie persistently declined my offer. He once told me that his friend, Tyson Barrie, had pushed him the whole entire night to ask me out and even as he asked me for my phone number, I could tell that he was nervous about even asking for such a thing.

I bit the inside of my cheek as I recalled that night. I found it hard to believe that a guy like Jamie Benn had trouble asking a girl out. I figured that girls just fell at his feet especially with his status in the NHL, his marvelous physique, and handsome face.

I knew nothing about hockey when we went on our first date. I was too nervous and embarrassed to even ask him any questions about it in fear that I would just look like a complete idiot, clueless about whatever he would tell me about his profession.

Clearly I didn't know who I was dealing with. He was more than happy to explain to me in the simplest way about what he does, how the game works, his teammates, traveling all over the country, and so much more. I learned more about hockey from Jamie in one night than I ever could if I tried to read Hockey For Dummies I once saw at a bookstore.

"Her name's Kelly, ummm you know I think y-you'd really like her," he managed not to stutter so much because he knew if he did, his mother would know immediately that he was bluffing.

I chewed nervously on my lip when his mother asked how long he and I have been dating. Of course, she had no clue who I was. Jamie told his mother that we had been dating for over a year, which wasn't entirely true. We had only been going out for a couple of months--five months to be exact. We both agreed that it would be best if we held off from telling our parents about our relationship until our one year anniversary. We figured that would be the perfect time to tell them that we were getting pretty serious.

"Well you're so good at keeping secrets. You never said a word." His mother laughed on the other line.

And then Jamie dropped the ultimate bomb on her.

"I think I'm gonna propose to her on this, this Valentine's Day."

People around me tried their best to hold in their laughter as the real prank started. I, on the other hand, was trying not show any of them, especially Jamie, how I truly felt. No one knew that I had completely fallen in love with the Stars' captain within the short amount of time we had been together. I don't even know why I agreed to come with him to shoot the prank knowing what it would be about. It hurt too much knowing that he was saying all those things to his mother and not mean a single one of them because I secretly wished that they were all true.

I listened as Jamie explained how they would be in Colorado on Valentine's Day this season and the only thing he and I agreed to do when he got there was to go on a date before his game later that night.

"I got a great plan. I-I bought a dog. I think I'm gonna hang the ring on the collar and you know, when I see her uhhh you know, I'll surprise her with the puppy."

Cabbie snickered beside me while I tried not to die on the inside. The way Jamie explained how he was going to "propose" to me sounded exactly how I imagined it would be like. It sounded like his style--simple but totally adorable. It would have been enough to last me a lifetime of memories.

Jamie tried to hold it together when he asked his mother if he could use his grandmother's wedding ring while I held in my breath as we all waited to see how she would react. She told him that she would casually just ask her what his grandma did with her wedding ring.

Unable to keep up with the lie any further, Jamie told his mother that he was just kidding.

"I would spank you right now if I could." His mother said and everyone behind the scenes finally let out the laughs they all had been holding in. Jamie's cheeks reddened and laughed along with everyone.

He said his goodbyes and wished her a happy Valentine's Day before ending the call. Everyone clapped and Cabbie praised him for what he called "an award winning performance." I waited for them to finish talking and wrap up the show and before I knew it, we were back in his car, headed back to his apartment.

Our car rides together were always almost silent with the exception of the radio playing whatever song was popular that week. But today was different. He couldn't stop giving me the play by play of the prank as if I hadn't been there.

"Jamie, I was there, remember?" I told him after the third time he mentioned the part where he told his mother about getting a puppy as part of the proposal.

Jamie looked over at his girlfriend and noticed a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"Are you OK?" He asked. "You seem a little...uhh, off?"

"I'm fine. I'm just tired." I reasoned.

He said nothing else because he probably believed me. I arrived to Dallas last night after taking a red eye flight thinking that we wouldn't have time to spend together for Valentine's Day. When I arrived, he told me about his plan on taking me out for lunch on Valentine's Day before his game. He explained that my trip to Dallas wouldn't be a waste because we could just go back to Colorado together. I could've yelled at him at that moment but I didn't. I had been too tired from the flight after going to the airport straight after work.

I wanted to tell Jamie how I really felt about him but everything had been going fine despite our long distance relationship. We talked every single day and night and visited each other when we could. I fear that if I told him my true feelings, I would just ruin and throw away all that we've built together so far.

He was such a good guy and sometimes I felt guilty because I felt like he was putting more effort in our relationship than I was. He was much more busier and had a lot more going on in his life than my life. His job wasn't just being a hockey player. He was a public figure in Dallas and back in his hometown in Canada. He had a lot to uphold, a lot of duties that need to be handled. I tried my best not to complain about my job to him because not even five percent of what I did compared to what he did on a daily basis.

When he got his building, he ran into Tyler Seguin in the parking area. Tyler lived in the same apartment complex as Jamie and his brother, Jordie, did. Jamie told me how often all three of them hung out outside of the rink. I had only met Tyler once and I already imagined what kind of trouble he and Jamie stirred up while I was gone.

"Hey Kelly," Tyler greeted. "Did you have fun watching Chubbs flub the prank segment?"

Tyler had also done the prank with Cabbie. In all honesty, I would rather have watched his prank than Jamie's because at least it wouldn't hurt to listen to a fake proposal plan from someone she had no romantic feelings for.

Jamie shoved Tyler on the shoulder. "I bet I did a better job than you did, isn't that right?"

Both men looked down at me, waiting for me to answer. All I could do was nod. I had a feeling that Tyler could tell by my expression that something was up and shook his head at his friend. I told Jamie that I would just wait for him in the lobby and he said he would follow in a few.

As I walked away, I heard Tyler tell Jamie, "You're an idiot."

--

"Hey, are you OK?" Jamie asked for the second time today, closing the front door behind him and removed his shoes.

"Yeah." I said without turning around to face him. I just couldn't. Not right now at least. My face would give away that there was something I desperately wanted to tell him but couldn't.

"I know there's something wrong. Seggy doesn't just call me an idiot without a reason. C'mon, you can tell me." He pushed. He followed me to the living room where I had plopped myself down on his couch. He sat down beside me and pulled me closer to him.

I chewed on my lip again, conflicted whether or not I should just get on with it. Maybe if I just told him now, I could just cry about it for months and attempt to get over him if he told me I've ruined everything.

"Kelly, please. Tell me what's wrong." He said with his big, sad puppy eyes looking right at me. Sometimes I wish he wasn't so damn perfect all the time just so I could resist him for once. But knowing Jamie, there was no such thing.

"I just want to tell you that whatever I'm about to say, I say it because I deeply care about you and not because I want this to be the end of our relationship."

"You're scaring me a little here," he nervously chuckled before his eyes widened. "You're not pregnant are you?"

"No, no, it's not that." I assured him and saw his shoulders droop in relief.

"OK, good. I mean, I wouldn't mind if you are right now but that would just...ya know, it would be a little hard since I'm traveling all the time and we're not living together and we haven't told our parents about us yet and--"

I smiled just a bit.

I wouldn't mind if you are right now.

Had I heard him correctly?

"So you mean to tell me that if I was pregnant right now, you wouldn't be angry?" I asked.

"Of course not. Why would I be?"

I shrugged. "Well, you listed all the reasons why I thought you would be mad."

He smiled right back at me, "OK, I was going to wait to tell you but since we're letting this all out there right now, I might as well tell you."

It was my turn to get nervous.

He went on, "I know we've only been together for a couple of months and I've had a lot of fun with you. In fact, I look forward talking to you everyday. I'd call you more but Seggy always grills me about being whipped, which by the way, I don't give a shit about."

I laughed.

"What I'm trying to say is, I love you."

"What?" I said in disbelief.

He chucked, "I said I love you."

"Is this part of a prank? Because if it is, it's not a funny prank, Jamie. It's cruel." I said even though I could hardly hear myself anymore with the way my heart was beating right out of my chest and thumping right in my ears.

He took my hands in his and said it again, "I am in love with you. I mean it. This is no prank."

My hands shook in his before I said, "I love you too."

His dimples that I adored so much appeared as his smile widened.

"So what was it that you were going to tell me?"

"You beat me to it," I playfully pouted. "I was going to tell you that I love you first."

Jamie shook his head and kissed me, only this time, it felt different than the other kisses we've shared in the past. This time, it felt real. I didn't feel like I was dreaming, I felt like I was alive and so happy that he loved me the way I did for him.

We laughed and kissed and laughed some more until I heard it.

"What was that?" I looked in the direction of his bedroom.

"Uh..."

"Jamie, I think someone is in your room." I said in a panic, all the excitement draining out of my system.

"I'll go check it out," he stood up.

"No!" I whispered loudly and tried to pull him back down on the couch.

"I'll be fine," he said as I watched him approach the room. He opened the door and carefully walked inside. One minute felt like an hour when the door opened again. I expected Jamie to come out and tell me that it was nothing but what I saw next nearly gave me a heart attack.

A puppy came running out with its tiny paws making a click sound across the wooden floors. I went down on my knees to greet the puppy and the pup automatically started smothering me with kisses.

"What your name, cutie?" I asked the pup and reached for its collar to see.

I turned the bone shaped tag around and saw WILL YOU MARRY ME? on the back.

"Oh my God," I breathed out and looked towards Jamie's bedroom to see him down on one knee with the black velvet box every girl who has ever fallen in love dreamed of seeing.

I stood up and slowly let the puppy run wild in the apartment. I walked over to him with my legs feeling like they were about to give out on me and my hands shaking like crazy.

"This better not be a prank, Jame." I said, my voice quivering.

He smiled, "I promise you that this is not a prank. This is for real."

"Oh my God," I said again.

"Like I said, I know we've only been together for a short amount of time but these last five months have been the best five months of my life. We don't have to get married right away but I know for sure that you are who I want to marry in the future."

"Jamie..." I started.

"Will you marry me?" He finished.

The first tear fell from my eyes and I nodded my head to say yes.

"Yeah?" His smile never leaving his handsome face.

"Yes!" I shouted out loud for everyone in the whole building to hear.

He got up and picked me up to twirl me around. The puppy danced around us, knowing that something good had just happened.

When Jamie set me down, he took the ring out of the box and lifted my left hand to slide it on my ring finger.

"Perfect." He whispered.

"Perfect." I repeated and sealed our future with a kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've had this idea for awhile now especially after watching Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn's Valentine's Day Prank video for Cabbie Presents. It was funny, painfully awkward, and so adorable to watch. Check it out if you haven't watched it!

This one shot was inspired by all the Jamie Benn gifs I keep seeing on Tumblr and Andy99's fic, If I Saw You Now, which I'm honestly so ridiculously obsessed with. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a good off-season Jamie Benn fic. Another inspiration for the proposal was from this photo I saw on Pinterest under "Puppy Proposal." Isn't it the cutest?!

Also, if any of you who read this one shot are also readers of my James Neal story, Love For You, I honestly apologize for the delay on posting the last 2 chapters. I have put that story on hold since I just lost interest in it after a bad case of writer's block. I started writing chapter 9 but it's nowhere near done. But I do promise to finish it sometime in the future and won't leave it hanging forever!

Thanks for reading and I hope you all enjoyed this!

xoxo